Making videos...sound?

Guest imported_Tesseract

Guest imported_Tesseract

So, i'll use a mini dv to make some videos. I'm ok with the resolution the editing and the like, the only thing that bothers me is that those cameras fuck with sound bad. I'll use some 3d stuff and both stolen and mine footage. While i'm shooting mine i may be giving directions or some sounds that are close to the camera maybe recorded and unwanted. Any ideas on how can i get rid of sounds i dont want and keep the other stuff, or should i place a mic or something directly in the scene, far from the camera, and blend the 2 later?

I dont know much on sound editing so any ideas/clues are welcome.

Thanx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yes, you have to use a microphone, and plug it into the mic input line on the camera. A shotgun (or boom) mic is the best bet to get the highest quality sound from your subject. Any mic will pick up some other sounds (made by you or anyone on the crew for that matter).

Either you have to really take the time for a quality video shoot with a boom mic, etc. or you just have to go for the rough (documentary) style with background noise and stuff. Or you have to be able to mix sound in and out - but it won't be seamless.

Boom mics are expensive and fragile. maybe you can rent one? But if it is sync sound that you need, you're gonna have to record it during the shoot, with a good pair of headphones so you can test levels, etc. If you are just doing effects, you can always record them on something else and mix it in in post.

Archived