MAKING MONEY OUT OF GRAFFITI

UP NORTH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graf isn't doing anything for me where I need to protect it from exploitation.

money fills my stomach. the more money I have the better i eat and the warmer i sleep.

If I end up making extra travel money because someone paid me to rock some shit I'm going to be doing anyway. bring it. I want to stay longer and go further.

Guest imported_Europe

Give us some examples!

No-one ever got rich of graff on this side of the fence, only buffers, experts and politicians cash in big time.

I dont see anything wrong with making money off graff. I mean ive read interviews where writers said they racked all thier stuff but if there was sumthing they couldnt rack they sold stuff that they had racked to other writers and then used that money to buy it. Doin sumthin like that is a pretty good idea if u ask me

it depends on who the person is and what their intentions are. for example, you've got reas doing all those graffiti influenced graphics for comedy central...i can't hate on that. reas has nothing to prove in the graf game so if he can take what he's learned as a writer and use that to make a living than more power to him. however, a lot of people who are "selling out" and using graf to make money were never really writers to begin with...and that pisses me off. i think the situation with reas and comedy central is the exception not the rule. reas put in work and he's the one making the bank. but usually what happens is the market is saturated with a bunch of fucking bullshit that rips off the aesthetic of graffiti, but nobody who's really dedicated to graffiti is seeing the profits. so if you were never an active writer, and being a legal eagle your whole career doesn't qualify you as a writer in my opinion, than what business do you have making money off graf? look at all the bullshit "graffiti" t-shirts you see out there. go down to the mall and look at journey's or one of those pseudo hiphop stores---out of all the recycled b-boy characters and graffiti logo shirts you see, how many writers you think made any money? maybe some toy who thinks graffiti looks really cool on trucker hats made some money or maybe some artschool douche who majored in graphic design who's trying to market themself to the "hip urban crowd." i feel that you should earn the right to make money off of graf. i think all the people who "never was" that are whoring off graffiti are suckers, and the people who support them are even bigger suckers.

yeah i totally agree, but that's jsut the product of our capitalist economy. the big investor with his factory verse the skilled rtisan with his small shop. one has a real deal product and the other has some bunk cheap shit that gets mad profits. one cares about what he does, one cares about the money it makes. the writers are busy writing, breaking the law, and doing what the fuck evr else they got going on. the people able to make enough of a product to rake in some real cash aren't writers, per se, they're capitalst, marketers, salesmen.. With an ever growing "hip hop" urban scene all the kids wanna feel like hard thugs these days, people come up with ways to exploit THAT, and graffiti is an unfortunate part of that. Hell, they come up with ways to exploit any trend in people. Trends in people's actions and interests an easily be turned into a market for some kind of bullshit. I wouldn't worry too much, over some time, maybe some years, the hip hop urban fag trend will pass but graffiti will still be around.

so thats whos doing the comedy central graphics....well more power to him!!!id rather see that than most shit,and hes doin shit that he likes...fuck it people can do what they want,its not gonna change what this life is really all about.all the dumb fukn mallrats can rock their stupid pseudo graffiti clothes,ill be paintin trains and fucking their girlfriends.

i agree with lens........to a point see the fact is hardly anyone is going to make a LIVING off graffiti.Its really gonna be something like "hey man can i buy that piece and use it on a shirt/hat/etc.And the writer gets $200 the company gets thousands and theyll probly never see each other again.i dont see a time when a company is gonna HIRE a writer over some graphic design douche who can bite your letters,or just make really bad ones,to sell their clothes.

P.S i define selling out as changing your values/beliefs/style? to make$

hope i made sense .i cant tell.

i think its bad because they are all sellouts, i think graffiti should be kept to the streets, not damn rich preppy old white guys who could afford to pay scientists to find out the cure for cancer, yet they spend it on paintings and plastic surgery

For Someone Like Myself,This is How I Feel About This Subject!!,

I'm 41 and Yes!!,I'm Still an Active Graff Writer at My Age too,But Then Again,I'm a Married Man W. a Soon to Be 3 Year Old Son & The Way I Feel About Doing Graff for $$$$ Is This:

If you Have The Skills and It Can Pay The Bills or Do Other Things for you I Say,Yes!!.I Give Props to Anyone who Can Make Dough off of Their Talents!!.In My Spare Time When I'm Not at My Day Job,I Spend Time Doing Peoples Names on Illustration Cardboards and Have Been Doing Them 4 Ever Since My Days In High School and It Has Really Payed off For Me too as Far as Getting My Bills Paid or Doing Other Things!!.But to Eachs Own,YES,There's Money to Be Made In Doing Graff It's Just The Thing that you Have Know How to Get Your Name Out There to People and Advertise Yourself as an Artist!!.

Look at People Like SEEN UA,He Owns 2 Tattoo Parlors Here In The New York City Area and Has Become Very Successful W. His Work and Is Now Making Peoples Bodies His Artistic Canvas as Well as CES,YES 2 & MED Of TUFF CITY Tattoos In The Bronx!!,Lets Also Not Forget BIO,BG 183 & NICER Of The TATS Cru "The Mural Kings"!!.

Tell you what I think is the only bad thing about making money out of graffiti? Those CD roms of OTHER PEOPLES PIECES that people are selling on Ebay. I just share my archives, I didn't do the pieces or take the photographs so I shouldn't make any money out of it ...that's why I just give the stuff away for free.

As for T-shirts, commissions etc etc...if you can get it, do it. If you are too busy keepin it real, give them my number!

PS. Good on ya Rem311, five years behind you, hope I'm still writing at 41.

there are tons of good points in this thread. i can really respect someone who is making money off of something that they enjoy, be it graffiti, or gardening.

the thing is, alot of the would be graphic designers out there who have never picked up a can in their lives are taking advantage of graffiti and it's 'appeal' to the younger generations...

i have made money off of canvases, shirts, etc. never too much money and it's not somethig i ride to pay bills or whatever. i guess it's something that could be debated for ever and a day.

Originally posted by casekonly@Oct 27 2004, 06:32 AM

the thing is, alot of the would be graphic designers out there who have never picked up a can in their lives are taking advantage of graffiti and it's 'appeal' to the younger generations...

I agree these people are miserable fakes ripping us off and often the shit they produce is terrible and gives people the wrong idea about what graffiti is and looks like...however, a writer using his hard earned skills to pay the bills is totally respectable.

good debate.

Depends who does it. It wasnt long ago when i was getting hate from everyone for being into hiphop/graff, now it seems everyone wants to be a part of it. So big companies cashing in gets to me, some genuine writers (retired or otherwise) using there skills in a legal manner to make an honest dollar is fine in my opinion.

Everything become shit when it gets popular.

like saber etc.. as long ya did fair enuff of bombin or lets juz say real graffiti writin, den its cool if ya wana earn some bucks wit it... but if ya claim to be a writer and dunno shit about graffiti and wana earn some bucks because ya can decorate some pretty ass bite fonts, fuck u.

do legals get bucks onli wen ya can paint like MACLAIM or daim or tats or wateva :hatred:

Originally posted by nyam@Oct 27 2004, 04:02 PM

like saber etc.. as long ya did fair enuff of bombin or lets juz say real graffiti writin, den its cool if ya wana earn some bucks wit it... but if ya claim to be a writer and dunno shit about graffiti and wana earn some bucks because ya can decorate some pretty ass bite fonts, fuck u.

do legals get bucks onli wen ya can paint like MACLAIM or daim or tats or wateva :hatred:

are you paying their bills and putting food in their mouths?

Originally posted by MOOGLE?+Oct 27 2004, 08:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOGLE? - Oct 27 2004, 08:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-nyam@Oct 27 2004, 04:02 PM

are you paying their bills and putting food in their mouths?

[/b]

i agree with this, make money however you can, so what if nigga's makin money out of the same shit you doing, so what, who cares, do what you want because you love it, dont be jelous of cats makin cheese