1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

MAKING MONEY OUT OF GRAFFITI

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by UP NORTH, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UP NORTH

UP NORTH New Jack

MAKING MONEY OUT OF GRAFFITI

Discussion started by UP NORTH - Oct 21, 2004

SO IT SEEMS MANY PEOPEL ARE MAKING MONEY OUT OFF GRAFFITI, YOU THINK THIS IS GOOD OR BAD?

IT PISSES ME OFF TO SEE PEOPLE ''SELLING OUT'', BUT LATELY IVE HAD DIFFRENT THORTS...

WHAT YOU PEEPS THINK?

UP NORTH..

...OUT.

UP NORTH - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. TRAMP

TRAMP 12oz Member

TRAMP - Replied Oct 21, 2004

Graf isn't doing anything for me where I need to protect it from exploitation.
    money fills my stomach. the more money I have the better i eat and the warmer i sleep.
    If I end up making extra travel money because someone paid me to rock some shit I'm going to be doing anyway. bring it. I want to stay longer and go further.

TRAMP - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

imported_b0b - Replied Oct 22, 2004

The best way to make money off graf is start a buff company.

4. why write?

why write? 12oz Veteran Member

why write? - Replied Oct 22, 2004

^ hah good point, but i dont think making some t-shirts and canvases on the side is a big deal...i mean who gives a fuck money is money...if someone offered me any amount of money for any of my work it would be sold in a minute

why write? - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. imported_Europe - Replied Oct 22, 2004

Give us some examples!
    No-one ever got rich of graff on this side of the fence, only buffers, experts and politicians cash in big time.

6. rodger_that

rodger_that New Jack

rodger_that - Replied Oct 22, 2004

I dont see anything wrong with making money off graff. I mean ive read interviews where writers said they racked all thier stuff but if there was sumthing they couldnt rack they sold stuff that they had racked to other writers and then used that money to buy it. Doin sumthin like that is a pretty good idea if u ask me

rodger_that - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  7. ®āłpĦ Łąuяëŋ

®āłpĦ Łąuяëŋ New Jack

®āłpĦ Łąuяëŋ - Replied Oct 22, 2004

i really dont consider selling shirts or whatnot selling out, your doing something you like/love......and to be able to do that and make money why not?........you wouldn't?
    "hey dude, can you make a design and put it on a shirt i think that looks awesome"..."i'll even pay you for it".......your not going to say no

®āłpĦ Łąuяëŋ - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  8. JFKFC

JFKFC 12oz Junior Member

JFKFC - Replied Oct 22, 2004

it depends on who the person is and what their intentions are. for example, you've got reas doing all those graffiti influenced graphics for comedy central...i can't hate on that. reas has nothing to prove in the graf game so if he can take what he's learned as a writer and use that to make a living than more power to him. however, a lot of people who are "selling out" and using graf to make money were never really writers to begin with...and that pisses me off. i think the situation with reas and comedy central is the exception not the rule. reas put in work and he's the one making the bank. but usually what happens is the market is saturated with a bunch of fucking bullshit that rips off the aesthetic of graffiti, but nobody who's really dedicated to graffiti is seeing the profits. so if you were never an active writer, and being a legal eagle your whole career doesn't qualify you as a writer in my opinion, than what business do you have making money off graf? look at all the bullshit "graffiti" t-shirts you see out there. go down to the mall and look at journey's or one of those pseudo hiphop stores---out of all the recycled b-boy characters and graffiti logo shirts you see, how many writers you think made any money? maybe some toy who thinks graffiti looks really cool on trucker hats made some money or maybe some artschool douche who majored in graphic design who's trying to market themself to the "hip urban crowd." i feel that you should earn the right to make money off of graf. i think all the people who "never was" that are whoring off graffiti are suckers, and the people who support them are even bigger suckers.

JFKFC - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  9. junior

junior New Jack

junior - Replied Oct 22, 2004

The only way to make money off graffiti is to start a buff company and go around painting places and the next day you get paid like 400$$ to removie it, see writers can make money off graff

junior - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  10. test

test 12oz Junior Member

test - Replied Oct 23, 2004

yeah i totally agree, but that's jsut the product of our capitalist economy. the big investor with his factory verse the skilled rtisan with his small shop. one has a real deal product and the other has some bunk cheap shit that gets mad profits. one cares about what he does, one cares about the money it makes. the writers are busy writing, breaking the law, and doing what the fuck evr else they got going on. the people able to make enough of a product to rake in some real cash aren't writers, per se, they're capitalst, marketers, salesmen.. With an ever growing "hip hop" urban scene all the kids wanna feel like hard thugs these days, people come up with ways to exploit THAT, and graffiti is an unfortunate part of that. Hell, they come up with ways to exploit any trend in people. Trends in people's actions and interests an easily be turned into a market for some kind of bullshit. I wouldn't worry too much, over some time, maybe some years, the hip hop urban fag trend will pass but graffiti will still be around.

test - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  11. TeezerPHM

TeezerPHM 12oz Member

TeezerPHM - Replied Oct 23, 2004

im not even gonna say anything or read this thread really but some crews try to make money of their graffiti or off graffiti skillz i dont care just as long as u have fun making that $$$$$$$$$$$$

TeezerPHM - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup New Jack

alphabet soup - Replied Oct 24, 2004

so thats whos doing the comedy central graphics....well more power to him!!!id rather see that than most shit,and hes doin shit that he likes...fuck it people can do what they want,its not gonna change what this life is really all about.all the dumb fukn mallrats can rock their stupid pseudo graffiti clothes,ill be paintin trains and fucking their girlfriends.

alphabet soup - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  13. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Gunm - Replied Oct 25, 2004

well, street cred and "mad props" doesn't pay the bills or keep a roof over your head. Why turn down a chance to turn some cash?

Gunm - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  14. 00

00 12oz Junior Member

00 - Replied Oct 25, 2004

i agree with lens........to a point see the fact is hardly anyone is going to make a LIVING off graffiti.Its really gonna be something like "hey man can i buy that piece and use it on a shirt/hat/etc.And the writer gets $200 the company gets thousands and theyll probly never see each other again.i dont see a time when a company is gonna HIRE a writer over some graphic design douche who can bite your letters,or just make really bad ones,to sell their clothes.

P.S i define selling out as changing your values/beliefs/style? to make$

hope i made sense .i cant tell.

00 - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  15. 2na

2na New Jack

2na - Replied Oct 25, 2004

What about selling graffiti on canvas in galleries?

Doesn't that take away from graff?

2na - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.