Making Bicycle-powered Vehicles

KaBar2

Has anybody on here ever tried making a bicycle-powered vehicle like a pedicab or something similar? I have a desire to weld up a three-wheeled thing sort of like a bicycle truck--two wheels in the front, one hooked to pedals in the back. Or maybe some sort of bicycle pick-up truck: one wheel in front, two powered in back. Or maybe a bicycle like a motorcycle-with-sidecar. Any comments or suggestions?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sounds like a plan kabar

what are you planning to do with it?

ride it around or use it for utility of some sort?

i think i would go for two wheels in the front if youre just riding around for fun

but if you want to attach a bed area on it i would go with the single front wheel

with two wheels in the back that turn

with some decent gears it would be nice

almost makes me want to build one

kabar if your going to build anyhting with 2 wheels on the same axel try and fit it with some sort of a differential...makes the handling alot easier and makes the bike less prone to tipping over.

we did a project kinda like this in my machine shop class back in highschool, and we learned all this the hard way.

CHINA DON'T PLAY

the people in mainland china are fucking nuts with these things. sketchy ass bicycles with a huge gas tank strapped to the side. the bikes are all lopsided becasue of the weight of the gas tank. (except for the double bling jawns with one gas tank on each side) the best part is when you see a family of 5 weaving in and out of traffic on one of these fuckers. i'm serious, with a mother holding an infant and everything. helmets? hahahahahaha. the quality of life is so fucking bad its like these fuckers want to die. i think my roommate has some flics, i'll seeif i can dig em up.

BIG BRUNO YOU ROCK THE PLANET

That site with the grocery cart bike is almost exactly what I was looking for! Great redneck technology, or maybe in this case, slacker technology. Beautiful. I see my next project forming up!

The human-powered rail buggy is a neat idea, but the only place I can think of where you could safely run it would be on a stretch of abandoned track. Railroad maintainance of way workers (MoW) sometimes use a type of "snap-together" dolly that uses aluminum wheels that fit standard track gauge. It's not powered, but they can load it up with tools, spikes, buckets of bolts, etc. and push it down the track as they work. When they are doing jobs like inspecting welds or torqueing bolts to spec, they sometimes use one of these carts.

I am going to try and design some kind of bicycle truck/cart to haul building materials to the jungle, groceries home from the store, etc. To my way of thinking, a sidecar arrangement with an open-ended "bed" riding the sidecar platform would allow you to carry boards, pipe, etc., or maybe even 4X8 sheets of plywood. Longer boards could just "stick out" fore and aft as you rode the bike part. It might be a little scarey in traffic, but....

I was a little bit amazed that the guys who have the website about "cart bikes" don't know how to weld. It's kind of a basic survival skill, like working on cars and motorcycles, or knowing how to do plumbing repairs or a little roofing. How can someone grow up to be a dumpster-diving alternative whatever-they-are and not know how to weld? It boggles the mind.

Everybody: learn how to mig weld, at least.

Originally posted by KaBar2

How can someone grow up to be a dumpster-diving alternative whatever-they-are and not know how to weld? It boggles the mind.

Everybody: learn how to mig weld, at least.

ha.

mig is a great thing to learn, but if you want to keep it real, learn arc

Archived