Madrid train blast

Vlad

- At least 173 people have been killed and more than 600 wounded in a series of explosions on Madrid's railway network at the height of this morning's rush hour, rescue services say. There has been no claim of responsibility in the attacks, but Spanish officials are blaming terrorists from the Basque separatist group ETA.- CNN

http://i2.tv2.dk/images/s/3ab7c8653bdce2627328712c1ea6d906/106203'>

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/europe/03/11/spain.blasts/top.newwreckage2.ap.jpg'>

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/europe/03/11/spain.blasts/story.newwreckage.ap.jpg'>

http://www.politiken.dk/images/04/03/11/0403111307498210_72b40c9c.jpg'>

http://img.ekstrabladet.dk/images/04/03/11/0403111042277710_68b6630f.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shits fucked up for sure. something like 4 seperate blasts at the heighth of the commuting hour in order to maximize the damage.

Basque separatist movement normally calls in warnings. There were no calls made this time...so some are talking about Al Quaeda involvement.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by SteveAustin

Basque separatist movement normally calls in warnings. There were no calls made this time...so some are talking about Al Quaeda involvement.

word to that, its close to impossible to be ETA since they always* warn before the hit and they always* claim responsibility...remember spain was one of the biggest supporters of the war against iraq in europe. I smell something from that direction.

Alltogether, this is fuckin insane, rest in peace people.

what a terrible tragedy.

i was in Atocha train station about 11 months ago.

there were a lot of anti-war advertisements and activities in madrid at that time.

how horrible that such a peaceful people wpuld be victim to terrorism (form their own country??? maybe not???)

fucking senseless.

my heart goes out to the victims..

Guest imported_Europe

Its the biggest act of terrorism in european history!

If its ETA, then its "good" cause then its about internal conflict in Spain.

If this is Al Quida then this world is heading down the drain. Then this will truly be the Euro-9-11

Rest in peace to all the innocent victims in the beautiful mirror trains.

WHAT KIND OF FUCKIGN SICK WORLD DO WE LIVE IN. TO WHAT DO YOU HAVE ANY FUCKING RIGHT TO KILL SOMEONE LET ALONE HUNDREDS. I READ SOMWHERE THAT THIS TERRORIST GROUP IS RESPONSABLE FOR THE DEATH OF OVER 800 PEOPL.

800 FUCKINGPEOPLE!!!!

EVERY TERRORIST DESERVES BRAIN DAMAGE

IM SO FUCKING ANGRY I CAN BARLEY TYPE RIGHT NOW..................

RIP / DEP

I'd like to thank all who have expressed revernce... Pa los responsables d este acto, os ofrezco esto: Q vuestra conciencia os pese, y q el terror q habeis sembrado se multiplique y desarrolle en vosotros.

This piece was painted by two of my Madrid friends and I on the backside of the wall of the SANTA EUGENIA Station where one of the trains was exploded...

I have not yet contacted them nor do I know about their well being.

For those who have ever suffered loss to the hands of faceless cowards who so quickly and easily reach out and take our hearts, I offer you my deepest condolences.

Q Dios nos guarde y nos quide.

http://photos.fotango.com/p/eba00349997f00000013.jpg'>

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by $360

WHAT KIND OF FUCKIGN SICK WORLD DO WE LIVE IN. TO WHAT DO YOU HAVE ANY FUCKING RIGHT TO KILL SOMEONE LET ALONE HUNDREDS. I READ SOMWHERE THAT THIS TERRORIST GROUP IS RESPONSABLE FOR THE DEATH OF OVER 800 PEOPL.

800 FUCKINGPEOPLE!!!!

EVERY TERRORIST DESERVES BRAIN DAMAGE

IM SO FUCKING ANGRY I CAN BARLEY TYPE RIGHT NOW..................

I'm really sorry to be the jackass in here, but if you're talking about ETA you better know what you're talking about and the score on the other side.

I sympathise with you as terrorism really does suck in my eyes, but philanthropy and ignorance mix well

Just pray this isnt al quida...

Spain's PM vows to catch bombers

Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar has vowed that those responsible for the train bomb attacks in Madrid will be hunted down and punished.

Ten bombs exploded without warning on trains at three stations during the morning rush hour, killing 190 people and wounding more than 1,200.

Mr Aznar made it clear he believed the armed Basque separatist group Eta was behind the co-ordinated blasts.

But a political group close to Eta denied that it carried out the attacks.

Campaigning for Sunday's general election in Spain has been suspended, and three days of national mourning have been declared.

Who is to blame?

In a national address, Mr Aznar urged Spaniards to take to streets in protest at the attacks on their capital - and some have already heeded this call.

"Terrorism is not blind," he said.

"These terrorists wanted to cause as much damage as possible. It is a massacre. They have killed many people simply for being Spanish."

He added: "The criminals who have caused so many deaths today will be arrested... We will succeed in finishing off the terrorist band."

"Terrorist band" is a term normally used by the government to describe Eta.

'Arab resistance' blamed

Other government ministers - and much of the country's media - have explicitly linked Eta to the attacks.

Spanish anti-terrorist sources quoted by the AFP news agency said the explosive used in the attacks on four commuter trains was of a kind habitually used by Eta.

They said the devices appeared to have been set off by remote control.

There were no warnings issued ahead of the explosions.

BBC diplomatic correspondent Barnaby Mason says that if Eta was responsible, the simultaneous attacks mark an unprecedented increase in scale, ruthlessness and co-ordination.

Some observers say the bombings bear the hallmarks of the Islamic militant network al-Qaeda, which has threatened revenge on Spain for its government's backing of the US-led invasion and occupation of Iraq.

And the leader of the banned Basque political party Batasuna, Arnaldo Otegi, blamed "Arab resistance".

"Eta has always issued a warning whenever it left a bomb to explode," he said, adding: "Spain maintains occupation forces in Iraq and we should not forget that it had a responsibility for the war in Iraq."

According to an unconfirmed report carried by the Canadian-based English-language website called Jihad Unspun, a previously unknown group called the Lions of al-Mufridun has claimed responsibility.

The website said the group was "made up of Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian operatives, with suspected links to al-Qaeda".

Panic and chaos

The bombings are being described as the most deadly terror attack in Europe since Pan-Am Flight 103 was blown out of the sky by a bomb above the Scottish town of Lockerbie in 1988, and the worst in Spanish history.

They struck between 0730 and 0800 local time (0630-0700GMT) as trains brought thousands of people to work in the capital.

Where the blasts happened

The main attack was at one of Madrid's major stations, Atocha, in the city centre.

Explosions hit a train as it was entering the huge interchange shortly after 0630 GMT, while other blasts went off on a train as it was passing Tellez street just outside the terminal.

Emergency numbers for relatives

(00 34) 900 200 222

(00 34) 915 767 000

Bombs also tore into carriages on trains at El Pozo and Santa Eugenia stations.

"People started to scream and run, some bumping into each other," Juani Fernandez, a civil servant who was on a platform at Atocha when the bombs went off, told the Associated Press.

"I saw people with blood pouring from them, people on the ground."

Three other devices hidden in backpacks were defused by police explosives experts.

Helicopters and dozens of ambulances ferried victims to hospitals, while appeals for blood donations were broadcast on national radio.

"It was butchery on a brutal scale," said Juan Redondo, an inspector for Madrid Firefighting Department. "This catastrophe goes beyond the imaginable."

Political and religious leaders across the world have condemned the attacks, with many describing them as an attack on democracy.

US President George W Bush said it was a "vicious act of terrorism" and telephoned Mr Aznar and King Juan Carlos to express his condolences.

MAIN ETA ATTACKS

July 2003: Bomb attacks in Alicante and Benidorm, 13 injured. Further explosion at Santander airport days later

Jan, Feb 2000: Car bombs explode in Madrid and the Basque capital Vitoria

June 1998: Car bomb kills Popular Party councillor Manuel Zamarreno

July 1997: ETA kidnaps and kills Basque councillor Miguel Angel Blanco

June 1987: 21 shoppers are killed in an attack on a Barcelona supermarket

1980: In ETA's bloodiest year, 118 people are killed

Dec 1973: Assassination of Prime Minister Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco

...source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3502218.stm

Ok, I just checked the BBC site.

link to article

According to an unconfirmed report carried by the Canadian-based English-language website called Jihad Unspun, a previously unknown group called the Lions of al-Mufridun has claimed responsibility.

The website said the group was "made up of Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian operatives, with suspected links to al-Qaeda".

It sounds like all the Spaniards are ignoring ETA's normal MOA and blaming them, while people outside of the country are linking it to Al Quaeda.

This article also mentioned that there were 10 blasts...but some were defused.

RIP

I'll never understand the killing of innocent citizens

Three other devices hidden in backpacks were defused by police explosives experts.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Re: What about ETA?!

Originally posted by JeffLebowski

Tesseract, it appears you have something to say about the ETA organization. If you do not wish to post here you can go ahead and email me.

No and no, i aint got something specific to say about ETA, i have no problem saying my opinion publically and most of all i aint attacking 360 in any way.

My view on it, is that i get really pissed with two things, one is terrorism and second is the reasons that cause terrorism.

Behind every major terrorist group there was a serious demand and a series of govermental fuck ups over innocent people. You think palestinians are having a goodtime and one day said "hey! wouldnt it be fun to strap a shitload of dynamite all over me and go blast in the middle of a mall?"....we all know its not like that.

For gods shake dont let this be misunderstood, when i say i feel bad for them and the innocent people they kill, i mean it to the point that it disgusts the fuck out of me.

And all that 'associated with al-quida" shit is just bogus...in inter-goverment relationships you see the US selling weapons to Iraq just years ago, israelis offering protection to turkey, russians digging other countries nuclear waste in their soil....and you expect terrorist groups to not being linked at eachother? where the fuck you think they buy from.

thats all, all coins have two sides.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by GnomeToys

How long will it be before Bush uses this as an excuse to go to war with some completely unrelated country? Has he already?

Unfortunatelly, this time it seems like its the other way around...

Archived