macs are sweet. You know about them, I don't. Fill me in.

There is that whole college thing in the fall and I need a laptop and I decided on making the jump from PC to Mac.

I was looking around the mac site and I'm looking at 12" Powerbook 256ram, 60gb HD, Super Drive. This is like $1699 with the student discount thing.

or

14" iBook 256ram, 40gb HD, Super Drive. $1579

What the hell is the difference between a iBook and a Powerbook other than the whole plastic versus titanium or whatever?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Oh, I hate this discussion. I'm still trying to emulate 0sx on my pc... I can't get the hard drive image to be recognised as such... I'll keep trying.

MisPants - I dunno that making that "jump" is the wisest thing to do, although the mac crowd will say otherwise. Proprietary linux goes against everything linux is about.... and is the mac osx. Just learn linux, install it on your pc, and dual boot windows and linux, that way you can have both development enviroments. It's not the easiest thing to learn how to do, but it will benefit you more than being stuck on a macintosh in the future.

Now this is the part where someone comes on here and proves otherwise.

very true.... most newbs will go for x first, and that's not a bad thing, it's just kinda obscuring what linux is all about. Linux is really, to my understanding, made to be a stable operating system that runs processes for months and years at a time without crashing or being turned off and back on.... alot of times without even a monitor or keyboard connected, because it just sits there, running, perfectly configured, and hosts services. Shell programming on the linux os is a beautiful thing, that takes much time to master. If you do however, not only do you clutch the true power of a computer in your hands, but also hold a very valid skill on the job market.

edit: I promise 80% or more of the people running osx on their macintoshs are not even using it to it's full linux OS potential.... they're just looking at the pretty gui that has their icons and makes it easy for programs to be installed and organised.... that kinda ties into what DowMagic was saying about not jumping to X.

Guest me IS cool

Regardless of what people say... if you do decide to get a mac get one with a bigger screen. Staring at a 12" monitor for a while causes headaches.... that is unless you are already used to small screens. Trust me.

:king:

From a general computer user;

What the fuck is the point of Linux?

Yes, I realize it's a diff OS. But why? Windows

and Mac cover anything and everything I could

ever desire to do on a computer. Running

Programs.

Yet people say...get Linux its super great. And

nothing more. It seems more of a status thing

than a desirable operating system thing.

So why's someone going to go learn Linux (I've

also come to realize there's many a version of

Linux, right?) just because it's supposedly

better...when my OS covers everything I need.

...let's hear it dhabz.

*typ0

Originally posted by Teh0wnz

Oh, I hate this discussion. I'm still trying to emulate 0sx on my pc... I can't get the hard drive image to be recognised as such... I'll keep trying.

MisPants - I dunno that making that "jump" is the wisest thing to do, although the mac crowd will say otherwise. Proprietary linux goes against everything linux is about.... and is the mac osx. Just learn linux, install it on your pc, and dual boot windows and linux, that way you can have both development enviroments. It's not the easiest thing to learn how to do, but it will benefit you more than being stuck on a macintosh in the future.

Now this is the part where someone comes on here and proves otherwise.

For starters OSX is based off FreeBSD Unix, not linux. Also, MacOS X isn't proprietary, only the GUI is. The core operating system is called Darwin and is both open sourced, as well as freely available. I'm also pretty sure you can install a different GUI on it (KDE, Gnome). Your advice is also flawed in the fact that no OS is the best for everything. His decision should be based upon what his work revolves around. Get the best the tool for the job. In some cases it may even be a Wintel PC (though it's getting harder to justify these days). Very few commercial apps are made for linux, and the opensourced alternatives rarely stack up. Besides linux on the desktop sucks. If he we're looking to set up a cheap server, I'd recommend linux, but otherwise, it's rarely worth the effort.

Besides how is getting stuck on x86 any better than getting stuck on Mac hardware?

I was into linux for a bit, but I figured it would just be too damned hard...I mean, having so program everything yourself, shit as basic as a keyboard and mouse seemed like it would be really annoying. Also, there's the lack of commerical programs, like Raven said. Overall, I don't think he's going to need linux for college shit such as taking notes and things of that sort. But, I could be wrong. I just use windows. Security flaws, speed, and other common critiques of the OS never seemed to bother me or make me want to switch over to mac enough. Although, at one point I wanted to because I do a lot of graphic design shit, buuut they are extremely expensive.. And if you know your shit, you can keep a PC in line.

Originally posted by Teh0wnz

very true.... most newbs will go for x first, and that's not a bad thing, it's just kinda obscuring what linux is all about. Linux is really, to my understanding, made to be a stable operating system that runs processes for months and years at a time without crashing or being turned off and back on.... alot of times without even a monitor or keyboard connected, because it just sits there, running, perfectly configured, and hosts services. Shell programming on the linux os is a beautiful thing, that takes much time to master. If you do however, not only do you clutch the true power of a computer in your hands, but also hold a very valid skill on the job market.

edit: I promise 80% or more of the people running osx on their macintoshs are not even using it to it's full linux OS potential.... they're just looking at the pretty gui that has their icons and makes it easy for programs to be installed and organised.... that kinda ties into what DowMagic was saying about not jumping to X.

The GUI is called Aqua.

What reason would he have for shell programming or learning the CLI. Homeboy said he was in college looking to get a new computer for school. I'd assume if he were a computer science major, he would'nt be asking such newbie questions. Also, considering most the heaviest hit sites on the internet are running on FreeBSD and MacOSX is a derivitive of this OS, why would you think processes would run any less stable. Also, since were on the subject, most daemons and services are the same across most *nix environments, and are generally no more than ports tweaked to suit particular system resource and differences in system and directory paths.

Lastly, all *nix treat connections to the system the same whether it's local or remote. It just doesn't make sense to use a GUI when bandwidth can't make it run in real time. Regardless all *nix system allow for a CLI, including MacOS X.

I think he's probably got a good idea of what he wants to target in the job market if he's already in college, and based of his question, I doubt it has much to do with hardcore computing.

Originally posted by me IS cool

Regardless of what people say... if you do decide to get a mac get one with a bigger screen. Staring at a 12" monitor for a while causes headaches.... that is unless you are already used to small screens. Trust me.

:king:

the 12" powerbook includes a DVI port and enough video ram to push an external monitor. It also supports video spanning and mirroring by default.

Originally posted by Crims�n

From a general computer user;

What the fuck is the point of Linux?

Yes, I realize it's a diff OS. But why? Windows

and Mac cover anything and everything I could

ever desire to do on a computer. Running

Programs.

Yet people say...get Linux its super great. And

nothing more. It seems more of a status thing

than a desirable operating system thing.

So why's someone going to go learn Linux (I've

also come to realize there's many a version of

Linux, right?) just because it's supposedly

better...when my OS covers everything I need.

...let's hear it dhabz.

*typ0

Linux is open sourced. As a result, it's had a great many people scrutinizing and revising it's source code. This has allowed it to become very stable over the years, as well as allows for security flaws to be isolated and patched at a pace a commercial OS can't keep up with regardless of how big their technical staff is. Further, it's also allowed for a great many developers to create a vast array of specialized software for just about anything (though with a general enphasis on tech and science).

It's not very well suited for the desktop despite the efforts that have been made to adapt it over the last couple years.

Originally posted by Misteraven

the 12" powerbook includes a DVI port and enough video ram to push an external monitor. It also supports video spanning and mirroring by default.

DVI port?

Little rectangular port, that connect to a adapter piece, which connects the external moniter?

I have a 14" iBook g4 and it came with the adapter....even though I have no use for it.

Edit:

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/visitaconnoi/paris03/pb15prime/preview/dscn0492.jpg'>

Hmm...different port. Same icon though (Top right of port). The one on my iBook is about 1cm x .5 cm.

...none of this matters anyways, just curious and you seem to know a lot raven.

Originally posted by dowmagik

linux handles memory much more efficient than windows/mac does. it is less prone to freezing up, crashing, etc. its not for everyone, but if youre into computers it is a helluva lot more fun than a windows box.

I'd love to see you back this up with specifics. Granted Windows has a tough time, Mac's handle memory at least as well for all intents and purposes. They also have far more system throughput than anything on x86 so besides handling memory exceptionally well, you don't get bottle necks once data hits the bus.

DVI port?

Little rectangular port, that connect to a adapter piece, which connects the external moniter?

I have a 14" iBook g4 and it came with the adapter....even though I have no use for it.

Edit:

http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/visitaconnoi/paris03/pb15prime/preview/dscn0492.jpg'>

Hmm...different port. Same icon though (Top right of port). The one on my iBook is about 1cm x .5 cm.

...none of this matters anyways, just curious and you seem to know a lot raven.

DVI = Digital Video Interface. It's the new standard for digital quality video. The adapter your referring to is DVI to VGA adapter for legacy CRT monitors.

Originally posted by LaCosaNostra

buuut they are extremely expensive.. And if you know your shit, you can keep a PC in line.

When it comes to hardware, you get what you pay for.

Though this still seems to be a misconception considering the materials used to make a Mac, as well as how well Mac's hold their value when compared to PC's. Show me a PC made by any manufactur that can hang with the engineering and craftmanship in Mac G5.

DVI = Digital Video Interface. It's the new standard for digital quality video. The adapter your referring to is DVI to VGA adapter for legacy CRT monitors.

Oh ok..so is it the new standard on camcorders as well? (by this I mean dvi out...)

Oh ok..so is it the new standard on camcorders as well? (by this I mean dvi out...)

No, it's the standard for connecting to high-end displays. Camcorders generally use IEEE 1395 (Firewire, iLink, etc) or a similar high-speed connection (USB, USB 2.).

Though this still seems to be a misconception considering the materials used to make a Mac, as well as how well Mac's hold their value when compared to PC's. Show me a PC made by any manufactur that can hang with the engineering and craftmanship in Mac G5.

I dunno, I mean if I had the money for it, I would probably get a Mac. But since I don't I have a PC. But, if you know your shit, like I said you can have a very nice PC for around half the price of a Mac.

G5s are very very nice kid nice.

Archived