Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

macs are sweet. You know about them, I don't. Fill me in.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega, Jul 17, 2004.

1. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

There is that whole college thing in the fall and I need a laptop and I decided on making the jump from PC to Mac.

I was looking around the mac site and I'm looking at 12" Powerbook 256ram, 60gb HD, Super Drive. This is like $1699 with the student discount thing.

or

14" iBook 256ram, 40gb HD, Super Drive. $1579

What the hell is the difference between a iBook and a Powerbook other than the whole plastic versus titanium or whatever?

2. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Powerbook's are thinner, lighter, & faster.

iBooks are cheaper.

3. BADMUTHAFUKA

BADMUTHAFUKA Member

if you don't know the difference...then macs aren't for you.

:nope:

4. Teh0wnz

Teh0wnz Member

Oh, I hate this discussion. I'm still trying to emulate 0sx on my pc... I can't get the hard drive image to be recognised as such... I'll keep trying.

MisPants - I dunno that making that "jump" is the wisest thing to do, although the mac crowd will say otherwise. Proprietary linux goes against everything linux is about.... and is the mac osx. Just learn linux, install it on your pc, and dual boot windows and linux, that way you can have both development enviroments. It's not the easiest thing to learn how to do, but it will benefit you more than being stuck on a macintosh in the future.

Now this is the part where someone comes on here and proves otherwise.

5. imported_dowmagik

imported_dowmagik Senior Member

if you take his advice and load linux, dont be one of those pussies that only learns X. learn the console very well before you do anything else.

6. Teh0wnz

Teh0wnz Member

very true.... most newbs will go for x first, and that's not a bad thing, it's just kinda obscuring what linux is all about. Linux is really, to my understanding, made to be a stable operating system that runs processes for months and years at a time without crashing or being turned off and back on.... alot of times without even a monitor or keyboard connected, because it just sits there, running, perfectly configured, and hosts services. Shell programming on the linux os is a beautiful thing, that takes much time to master. If you do however, not only do you clutch the true power of a computer in your hands, but also hold a very valid skill on the job market.

edit: I promise 80% or more of the people running osx on their macintoshs are not even using it to it's full linux OS potential.... they're just looking at the pretty gui that has their icons and makes it easy for programs to be installed and organised.... that kinda ties into what DowMagic was saying about not jumping to X.

7. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

Thanks and all but I have no intention of learning linux.

8. KYU

KYU Member

exactly.

9. imported_dowmagik

are you kidding? shell programming is a piece of cake. hell, it isnt even programming its scripting.

10. me IS cool

me IS cool Guest

Regardless of what people say... if you do decide to get a mac get one with a bigger screen. Staring at a 12" monitor for a while causes headaches.... that is unless you are already used to small screens. Trust me.

:king:

11. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

the question that needs to be asked is "what will you be using it for?".

12. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

From a general computer user;

What the fuck is the point of Linux?

Yes, I realize it's a diff OS. But why? Windows
    and Mac cover anything and everything I could
    ever desire to do on a computer. Running
    Programs.

Yet people say...get Linux its super great. And
    nothing more. It seems more of a status thing
    than a desirable operating system thing.

So why's someone going to go learn Linux (I've
    also come to realize there's many a version of
    Linux, right?) just because it's supposedly
    better...when my OS covers everything I need.

...let's hear it dhabz.

*typ0

13. imported_dowmagik

linux handles memory much more efficient than windows/mac does. it is less prone to freezing up, crashing, etc. its not for everyone, but if youre into computers it is a helluva lot more fun than a windows box.

14. imported_dowmagik

15. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

I see, I see.

Thx dow.