MAC OS question (installing OS 10)

DITDxCULT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you can't just update from 9 to 10.. you need to install it from the actual disks... and i would suggest you install at least 10.2 'jaguar'.. 10.0 is slow as fuck and full of bugs. you also need at least 9.1.

and don't bother if you don't have at least a dual 450 G4, its not worth it. way too slow..

i've tried it on my blue&white g3 400 512 ram and it really sucked ass. i scraped it all and went back to 8.6.. haven't crashed in 5 months, and its nice and zippy..

i've heard mixed stories like yours too.. "worked great on my old commodore64!!".. "its a piece of shit on my 867 with a gig of ram"..

best thing to do is to try it out.. if it works, great :cool:

you should also reformat your hard drive and add an extra partition..

You can't upgrade OS X from anything previous. The purpose of having an older system is to run classic. And to do that you'll need at least 9.2. However, there's few apps you'd even need that aren't already ported to OSX (I think Quark is aboutt he last one. And to be honest, it's not worth it, just Use InDesign 2).

And yes, try and get OS X 10.2 since with this verson you'll be able to get all the software upgrades all the way to the current version (10.2.5). 10.2 was a major milestone and has significant performance updates, as well as improved integrated apps. Further most new apps require at least 10.2.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by Misteraven

(I think Quark is aboutt he last one. And to be honest, it's not worth it, just Use InDesign 2).

damn, our boss, and a few workmates

went to the seminar on this program,

and they said it was a pretty impressive

program. So impressive, theyre thinking

about switching over from quark.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

After a few weeks of attempts, I finally got OS X.2 running on my baby. It's the fucking greatest thing in the universe, took me a while to get used to, but I've got it pretty much down. Now I need to find the native versions of most of my software, but in the meanwhile classic runs them beautifully. I'm ecstatic. Beer,

El Mamerro

InDesign 1.0 wasnt quite ready for primetime, but it's since improved. The features kill Quark, and now that OS X's 2-D display layer is actually based on PDF, it really works well with InDesign since this app was based around exporting print ready PDF files. It's actually a really elegant solution for 2D graphics, particulalrly since its also a cross platform file format that embeds all the documents assets (fonts, images, etc) into a single file.

Quark files on the other hand have a proprietary format known as .qxd and though this became the industry standard for print publishing (mainly due to a lack of competition), it's not very efficient or simple. It's subject to all kinds of errors in preproduction output as a result, and will undoubtedly be replaced by something more robust and open standards compliant like PDF.

UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE

THE MOST COMPELLING REASON TO GO TO 9.2 FIRST IS THAT IT UPDATES YOUR OS FIRMWARE BUT YOU CAN GO TO THE APPLE SITE AND GET THE UPDATE WITH OUT HAVEING TO DO THE 9.1-> 9.2 ->OS X RIGA-MA-ROLL.

I WENT STRAIGHT TO OS X 10.2 FROM 9.1 ON MY TOWER AND IT WORKED FINE FOR A WEEK OR SO THEN I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS. PHOTO SHOP WOULD CRAH THE WHOLE COMP AS I MOVED THE CURSOUR. SO I UPDATED THE FIRMWARE AND BINGO BANGO NOT A CRASH OR A HANG SINCE THEN ( THEN BEING MONTHS AGO)

InDesign 1.0 wasnt quite ready for primetime, but it's since improved. The features kill Quark, and now that OS X's 2-D display layer is actually based on PDF, it really works well with InDesign since this app was based around exporting print ready PDF files. It's actually a really elegant solution for 2D graphics, particulalrly since its also a cross platform file format that embeds all the documents assets (fonts, images, etc) into a single file.

IF IM NOT wrong a big problem with the first indesign was its lack of support for

pagination ( tack pages in a multi ppage doc, not to be know it all-ish just explanitory) but the new one does i believe. I could be wrong.

and by the way, whats up raven. Looks like ALL those hours in the copm lab are paying off nicely.

-hevlox

....so, I installed everything over the weekend without a hitch. Everything seemed to go pretty smoothly. I took a couple hours each day to get aquainted with 10.2.5 and I am getting really excited about it.

I do have one problem though. I can't run classic mode. Everytime I try to run classic it gives me some error about not being able to find the systems folder in 9. I dunno what to do.

its also a cross platform file format that embeds all the documents assets (fonts, images, etc) into a single file.

this alone would make it worth my time. I use both mac and pc and embed my fonts (almost always) with font meadows. thanks for the synopsis. So....anyone have a copy?

Originally posted by heavyLox

IF IM NOT wrong a big problem with the first indesign was its lack of support for

pagination ( tack pages in a multi ppage doc, not to be know it all-ish just explanitory) but the new one does i believe. I could be wrong.

and by the way, whats up raven. Looks like ALL those hours in the copm lab are paying off nicely.

-hevlox

Do I know you?

Archived