Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

MAC OS question (installing OS 10)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DITDxCULT, May 2, 2003.

1. DITDxCULT

DITDxCULT Senior Member

I am running 9.1 at home. Can I update from 9.1 to 10? Or do I need 9.2 first? Can I update 9.1 to 10.2?

I am ignorant when it comes to installing operting systems so any help will be apreciated.

Gracias

2. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

9.2 was pretty key... even if you can update from 9.1 to 10, if you ever do anything back in classic you'd probably want 9.2... you can still find a 9.1 -> 9.2 update on apple.com...

3. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

you can't just update from 9 to 10.. you need to install it from the actual disks... and i would suggest you install at least 10.2 'jaguar'.. 10.0 is slow as fuck and full of bugs. you also need at least 9.1.
    and don't bother if you don't have at least a dual 450 G4, its not worth it. way too slow..

4. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

i wouldn't say you need a dual 450... i'm not running it on my pismo, but that's just i don't have enough memory right now... i've used 10 on older imacs without a problem, and even on an old beige performa that was upgraded to a g3...

5. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

i've tried it on my blue&white g3 400 512 ram and it really sucked ass. i scraped it all and went back to 8.6.. haven't crashed in 5 months, and its nice and zippy..

i've heard mixed stories like yours too.. "worked great on my old commodore64!!".. "its a piece of shit on my 867 with a gig of ram"..

best thing to do is to try it out.. if it works, great :cool:

you should also reformat your hard drive and add an extra partition..

6. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

7. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

You can't upgrade OS X from anything previous. The purpose of having an older system is to run classic. And to do that you'll need at least 9.2. However, there's few apps you'd even need that aren't already ported to OSX (I think Quark is aboutt he last one. And to be honest, it's not worth it, just Use InDesign 2).

And yes, try and get OS X 10.2 since with this verson you'll be able to get all the software upgrades all the way to the current version (10.2.5). 10.2 was a major milestone and has significant performance updates, as well as improved integrated apps. Further most new apps require at least 10.2.

8. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

damn, our boss, and a few workmates
    went to the seminar on this program,
    and they said it was a pretty impressive
    program. So impressive, theyre thinking
    about switching over from quark.

9. DITDxCULT

DITDxCULT Senior Member

thanks alot for the advice, I just downloaded the 9.2 and 9.2.2 updates. I am going to have a busy weekend, hopefully I won't blow my machine up.

10. After a few weeks of attempts, I finally got OS X.2 running on my baby. It's the fucking greatest thing in the universe, took me a while to get used to, but I've got it pretty much down. Now I need to find the native versions of most of my software, but in the meanwhile classic runs them beautifully. I'm ecstatic. Beer,

El Mamerro

11. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

I'm thinking that if I ever get my own computer I'll run Lindows.

[​IMG]

12. Dirty_habiT

Bottom line - linux is the best os. You can cry about user friendlyness if you want. The fact remains.

13. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

14. Dirty_habiT

Oooh good one Markos.

15. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned