Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

mac/ipod question.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Tyler Durden, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

alright, so as i've mentioned earlier i purchased a 15'' powerbook and it should be here today, if not then tomorrow for sure.

something just dawned on me though, my ipod is formatted for pc as is all my itunes shit i guess. so when i get the new powerbook, im pretty sure it comes with itunes already on it, but i'll probably have to reformat my ipod so it will work with mac, correct?

if that IS correct, than the reformatting would cause me to lose all my songs that are currently on there i'm guessing? so...with the new, and empty itunes on my new g4, could i burn all of my itunes library to a data disk on my current pc and upload it to the g4 and then upload it to my ipod from there once its reformatted?

if no one knows what im talking about i'll try to clarify some...

2. I'm fairly sure you'll have no problem. Macs usually have no problem at all reading PC-formated disks, but the inverse is not the same case.

My friend has a PC-formatted iPod that I've had no problem whatsoever connecting to my Mac and putting new songs in it.

3. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

i'm pretty sure you can email yourself your itunes tracks as attachments and reopen them on your new computer to upload onto your ipod, but i'm not sure. check out www.macaddict.com because they usually have all the answers i need for mac stuff.

4. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

yes i'm sure it can be done, and likely very easily.
    do i know how?
    no.
    why am i even bothering then?
    to boost my post count, duh.
    plus, i love my ipod.

5. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

the play lists are just XML documnets That are readable by both PC and MAC platforms.

just plug and play mang.

6. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

fucking awesome. thank you all.

i cant go a day without my ipod.

7. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

even if the ipod wouldn;t register on your mac, it's not that hard to network the mac and the pc together, or if the pc has firewire you could even just start your mac as a firewire disk* and transfer all the mp3s over...

*turn off the mac
    hold down T and turn it back on
    keep holding down T until you see a firewire logo bouncing around on the screen
    hook the mac up to another computer with firewire (via a firewire cable) and it will show up on the desktop as a removable drive

8. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Really? I have no idea how to do this...so why'll we're here,
    if anyone has any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it.

The reason is, I download all my music to my PC, but I
    usually take my iBook with me so I have to burn the mp3's
    to data cd's and upload them into iTunes that way....which is a bitch.

9. yoink

yoink Elite Member

for shizzle. just make sure on your mac you uncheck automatic update on the ipod.

10. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

That's an easy one...

You need to export your entire library to a file and burn that file to one (or several CD/DVD's depending on size). Then put the disc in the mac and import the files into the new iTunes. Once you've done that, reformat your iPod (if it's a first generation iPod you cant reformat as compatability was done in hardware rather than software. If you cant burn a disc off the PC and dont know enough to network the two computers, you can also mount the ipod like a hard disk and copy the files onto it like that. Then mount it on the mac and drag the files to your desktop before reformatting it for use witht he Mac. (It should work as a hard drive without reformatting, I believe).

11. MrChupacabra

MrChupacabra 12oz Loyalist

12. avils

avils Senior Member

your pizzy isnt actually 'formatted' as either mac or pc, rather they are the medium by which you put the songs on. as long as the format is mp3 aiff wav etc then it should all go on no problemo.

13. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

14. Crimsøn

Crimsøn Senior Member

Wow, thanks for pointing that out for me.

Really.

I'm very sorry.