mac/ipod question.

Tyler Durden

alright, so as i've mentioned earlier i purchased a 15'' powerbook and it should be here today, if not then tomorrow for sure.

something just dawned on me though, my ipod is formatted for pc as is all my itunes shit i guess. so when i get the new powerbook, im pretty sure it comes with itunes already on it, but i'll probably have to reformat my ipod so it will work with mac, correct?

if that IS correct, than the reformatting would cause me to lose all my songs that are currently on there i'm guessing? so...with the new, and empty itunes on my new g4, could i burn all of my itunes library to a data disk on my current pc and upload it to the g4 and then upload it to my ipod from there once its reformatted?

if no one knows what im talking about i'll try to clarify some...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'm fairly sure you'll have no problem. Macs usually have no problem at all reading PC-formated disks, but the inverse is not the same case.

My friend has a PC-formatted iPod that I've had no problem whatsoever connecting to my Mac and putting new songs in it.

even if the ipod wouldn;t register on your mac, it's not that hard to network the mac and the pc together, or if the pc has firewire you could even just start your mac as a firewire disk* and transfer all the mp3s over...

*turn off the mac

hold down T and turn it back on

keep holding down T until you see a firewire logo bouncing around on the screen

hook the mac up to another computer with firewire (via a firewire cable) and it will show up on the desktop as a removable drive

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

it's not that hard to network the mac and the pc together

Really? I have no idea how to do this...so why'll we're here,

if anyone has any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it.

The reason is, I download all my music to my PC, but I

usually take my iBook with me so I have to burn the mp3's

to data cd's and upload them into iTunes that way....which is a bitch.

That's an easy one...

You need to export your entire library to a file and burn that file to one (or several CD/DVD's depending on size). Then put the disc in the mac and import the files into the new iTunes. Once you've done that, reformat your iPod (if it's a first generation iPod you cant reformat as compatability was done in hardware rather than software. If you cant burn a disc off the PC and dont know enough to network the two computers, you can also mount the ipod like a hard disk and copy the files onto it like that. Then mount it on the mac and drag the files to your desktop before reformatting it for use witht he Mac. (It should work as a hard drive without reformatting, I believe).

Archived