Mac G4

Brainchild

someone gave me their mac G4 with only 400mgz and 16 or 18 gig harddrive and dvd player yeah its good enough to do websites and shit but i was wonder can this thing get juiced up like good enough to turn it into a video editting machine and possibly a dvd burner in the near future? im new to mac ive seen sites when they swapped the proccesors and the heat sinks to double processors and shit but what do i know???....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by mental invalid

anyone got any info on the newer imacs....i was gonna get the g4 but since they come built with one now, im thinking i could maybe get away with the cheaper price and still be able to learn design and pull it off...any advice for an ex pc user?

gracias

get a g4. imac's are to slow . they were built with the internet in mind not design . i only use my imac for illustrator. damn... i learned my lesson .

Guest HESHIANDET

BC: you can easily stuff well over a gig of ram into that pooch. if you want more storage space for video a new HD will pop in very easily. or better yet get your self a firewaire drive. if you still feel innadequit you can up grade the motherboard con processoras and all. and yes a dvd burner will slide on in very easily, but i'd steer clear of that. G4's were built on the principle of expandability, that machine w/ the right up grades will run like a champ and be up to date for a few years still.

ROE: it all depends man. yeah the new imacs are pretty ballin inside. but ook at my above reply. if you want to be able to upgrade get a g4. if your happy w/ a super cool looking designthat will become worthless ($ wise) in 4 years get a imac.

Originally posted by mental invalid

anyone got any info on the newer imacs....i was gonna get the g4 but since they come built with one now, im thinking i could maybe get away with the cheaper price and still be able to learn design and pull it off...any advice for an ex pc user?

gracias

i just typed this long schpeel about the pros and cons of G4 -vs- iMacs, but i confused myself (not all that hard) so ill try to answer you as simply as i can.

yes, you absolutely can use the iMacs for design and just about anything else (the new ones have the G4 processor, but even the older ones w/ the G3 are really good), but it's upgradability is far less than the G4 tower. To me, imacs seem more short-term and G4s are more long-term (as far as being easily upgraded goes....theres simply more room to put stuff in the G4 tower).....but really, you wont go wrong with either, they both rock....it just depends on how often and extensively you are planning to upgrade the computer in the future.

I have a juiced up G4 at work, and a not so juiced up iMac at home.....theyre both great, but I gotta say, I LOVE the G4 tower a whole lot better.

i hope i made a little bit of sense, if not, sorry.

hesh, nips, etc...whatta ya mean upgrade, like examples? no im not a computer moron, but aside from adding memory, im not sure i understand you reference to adding on...hesh i looked at an apple loan for 2yrs, on the assumption that i would just be upgrading systems every two years, maybe three, never four...

but as far as power goes, not upgrade capability, is it a moot point? cause when you begin to add up the costs of the g4 im looking at like 3000 and the high end imac or mid is roughly 1500-1800...im not a balling designer...i just finished up a bunch of short term classes for photshop/illustrator/dreamweaver/ etc...and now the knowledge is just collecting dust, i need to get a new machine fast....

gracias again?

Guest HESHIANDET
Originally posted by crso

upgrade meaning add more MHz and GB.

id say save the loot and get a lower end g4. its not too much more than an imac and if you wanna become the design man around the way you have the box to stuff the shit into. then again, an ibook can do the same. really its all about how much loocjie you wanna spend.

RAM doesn't mean shit if you don't have the BUS to back it..everyone thinks that yeah mac g4s are so much better and this and that...thats what they want you to think.they only perform better in certain situations..and for the money..they really aren't worth it..you should REALLY find out how much better..or worse they really are...i could break it down to a science...but it wouldn't benefit anyone.

i want a mac. really. im seriously tired of microsoft ass shit poop.

i think the g4's are pimp...the studio flat panels...oh my god...

the titanium applebook...oh my god...po-po-po-po-pimp...i seriously want a couple of macintosh computers...

the design of them is fucking absolutely ridiculously cool..

im going to be looking into them more from now on...

i just really want a rockin g4 dual proc. w/ the latest os, gobs of ram, storage, protection software, none of that third party ass shit, the studio flat panel, and a geforce3

damn i want that titanium i book.....

Archived