1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Mac G4

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Brainchild, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Brainchild

Brainchild New Jack

Mac G4

Discussion started by Brainchild - Feb 21, 2002

someone gave me their mac G4 with only 400mgz and 16 or 18 gig harddrive and dvd player yeah its good enough to do websites and shit but i was wonder can this thing get juiced up like good enough to turn it into a video editting machine and possibly a dvd burner in the near future? im new to mac ive seen sites when they swapped the proccesors and the heat sinks to double processors and shit but what do i know???....

Brainchild - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. When

When 12oz Loyalist

When - Replied Feb 21, 2002

i always thought the g4 was the top of the line mac? im a pc fan but i swear my friend uses a g4 for video crap

When - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Feb 21, 2002

pick up your pc, open your window, and throw that motherfucker with all your might

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  4. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie 12oz Elite Member

vinyl junkie - Replied Feb 21, 2002

you should be able to do video editing and all that just fine (actually a g4 is great for it)... i run a midi program with audio and video on a g3 just fine.

vinyl junkie - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k 12oz Elite Member

bigpoppa.k - Replied Feb 21, 2002

yeah jack that thing up with ram and you're good to go. g4's are built with video editing in mind. you can jack that thing up to 1gig of ram, maybe a little more.

bigpoppa.k - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  6. When

When 12oz Loyalist

When - Replied Feb 21, 2002

but...but... i like it

When - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  7. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

mental invalid - Replied Feb 21, 2002

anyone got any info on the newer imacs....i was gonna get the g4 but since they come built with one now, im thinking i could maybe get away with the cheaper price and still be able to learn design and pull it off...any advice for an ex pc user?

gracias

mental invalid - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  8. crso

crso 12oz Senior Member

crso - Replied Feb 21, 2002

get a g4. imac's are to slow . they were built with the internet in mind not design . i only use my imac for illustrator. damn... i learned my lesson .

crso - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

HESHIANDET - Replied Feb 21, 2002

BC: you can easily stuff well over a gig of ram into that pooch. if you want more storage space for video a new HD will pop in very easily. or better yet get your self a firewaire drive. if you still feel innadequit you can up grade the motherboard con processoras and all. and yes a dvd burner will slide on in very easily, but i'd steer clear of that. G4's were built on the principle of expandability, that machine w/ the right up grades will run like a champ and be up to date for a few years still.

ROE: it all depends man. yeah the new imacs are pretty ballin inside. but ook at my above reply. if you want to be able to upgrade get a g4. if your happy w/ a super cool looking designthat will become worthless ($ wise) in 4 years get a imac.

10. nipples-galore

nipples-galore 12oz Elite Member

nipples-galore - Replied Feb 21, 2002

i just typed this long schpeel about the pros and cons of G4 -vs- iMacs, but i confused myself (not all that hard) so ill try to answer you as simply as i can.

yes, you absolutely can use the iMacs for design and just about anything else (the new ones have the G4 processor, but even the older ones w/ the G3 are really good), but it's upgradability is far less than the G4 tower. To me, imacs seem more short-term and G4s are more long-term (as far as being easily upgraded goes....theres simply more room to put stuff in the G4 tower).....but really, you wont go wrong with either, they both rock....it just depends on how often and extensively you are planning to upgrade the computer in the future.
    I have a juiced up G4 at work, and a not so juiced up iMac at home.....theyre both great, but I gotta say, I LOVE the G4 tower a whole lot better.

i hope i made a little bit of sense, if not, sorry.

nipples-galore - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

mental invalid - Replied Feb 21, 2002

hesh, nips, etc...whatta ya mean upgrade, like examples? no im not a computer moron, but aside from adding memory, im not sure i understand you reference to adding on...hesh i looked at an apple loan for 2yrs, on the assumption that i would just be upgrading systems every two years, maybe three, never four...

but as far as power goes, not upgrade capability, is it a moot point? cause when you begin to add up the costs of the g4 im looking at like 3000 and the high end imac or mid is roughly 1500-1800...im not a balling designer...i just finished up a bunch of short term classes for photshop/illustrator/dreamweaver/ etc...and now the knowledge is just collecting dust, i need to get a new machine fast....

gracias again?

mental invalid - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  12. crso

crso 12oz Senior Member

upgrade meaning add more MHz and GB.

13. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

HESHIANDET - Replied Feb 21, 2002

id say save the loot and get a lower end g4. its not too much more than an imac and if you wanna become the design man around the way you have the box to stuff the shit into. then again, an ibook can do the same. really its all about how much loocjie you wanna spend.

14. Wilt

Wilt Guest

Wilt - Replied Feb 21, 2002

RAM doesn't mean shit if you don't have the BUS to back it..everyone thinks that yeah mac g4s are so much better and this and that...thats what they want you to think.they only perform better in certain situations..and for the money..they really aren't worth it..you should REALLY find out how much better..or worse they really are...i could break it down to a science...but it wouldn't benefit anyone.

15. crso

crso 12oz Senior Member

if your going to do design. mac's are the industry standard.