Lynyrd Skynyrd Appreciation Thread...

Hank Parker

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest ctrl+alt+del

i saw con air tonight.

Buschemi is the shit in that movie.

Define Ironic.

A bunch of idiots in a plane dancing around to a song made famous when the singers died in a plane crash.

Respect TO SKYNYRD

Originally posted by chozer

i cant believe ethreadzny listens to skynyrd.....

:eek:

wonk saggin...

right?

MUSIC IS AND IMPORTANT ASPECT IN MY LIFE> IT HAS ALWAYS ALLOWED ME TO REFLECT ON MY OWN LIFE< OR TEMPORARILY ESCAPE FROM ROUGH TIMES>

MY MUSICAL TASTE RANGES FROM COUNTRY TO HIP HOP. I AM IN NOWAY A COUNTRY BOY< BUT I BELIEVE IN THE CONCEPTS SUNG ABOUT IN A CLASSIC COUNTRY SONG. SKYNYRD REFLECTS THE WORKING WAY< AND REMINDS OF HOW MY MOTHER AND FATHER CONTINUED TO WORK HARD, EVEN IN TIMES WHEN THEY STRUGGLED WITH THEIR OWN INTERNAL DEMONS AND ADDICTION, THEY BROUGHT US FROM POVERTY TO COMFORT. MUSIC OFTEN MAKES ME TRY HARDER, AND PUSHES ME TO STRIVE FOR SECURITY IN MY OWN LIFE>

Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

Skynyrd had some classics...

"Won't you sign a contract? Won't you sign today? You'll be given lots of money, workin for MCA."

Did anyone see the Busch commercials durring the Bass Master Classic on ESPN2 that had Simple Man? It was a bunch of people hiking and they were playing Simple Man, and it was a Busch commercial! It couldn't have been better! My favorite beer and my favorite band.

The bittersweet climax of Lynyrd Skynyrd's career. After a wild ride to stardom, these Southern rock icons took a breather to craft an album more slowly than on their other four studio efforts, the last of which had seen a slip in standards. They succeeded triumphantly with Street Survivors, which shipped gold on October 17, 1977.

Three days later -- and 25 years ago this month -- a plane crash killed lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, backing vocalist Cassie Gaines (Steve's sister), and road manager Dean Kilpatrick and injured the rest of the band. MCA recalled the original LP cover, which depicted the seven main band members amid red-and-yellow flames, and substituted a plainer, less eerily violent photo (the CD has the original cover).

But they didn't change what was inside, in the music itself: The frightening "That Smell," written by Van Zant after Gary Rossington passed out drunk while driving, hitting a telephone pole and oak tree and damaging a house. That inspired a memorable, almost-funny first verse: "Whiskey bottles and brand new cars / Oak tree you're in my way / There's too much coke and too much smoke / Look what's going on inside you." But then, in a prophetic leap, the refrain proclaims, "The smell of death surrounds you." It wasn't just Rossington, it was the excesses of many (Collins, who co-wrote the song, had a DUI car crash around the same time). But Van Zant, a new father, was changing his ways and looking back at the hard partying in a new, more mature light. Hard-won wisdom's also evident on "One More Time." The old outlook remained on the Rossington-Van Zant ode to groupies "What's Your Name."

The band was also growing through the addition of guitarist Steve Gaines, who beefed up the three-guitar attack and contributed songwriting. "I Know a Little" (featuring a rollicking Billy Powell piano solo) offers a still energetic but lighter musical approach, while "You Got That Right" (co-written with Van Zant) shows Gaines fitting perfectly into the band's established style. "I Never Dreamed," another collaboration with Van Zant, is a ruminative, tables-turned tale of lost love that's the flip side, in a way, of "What's Your Name"'s casual attitude towards romance -- and another example of the band's emerging maturity. Gaines' "Ain't No Good Life" closed the original LP with a proclamation that the life they'd been living wasn't producing the desired results, with a pledge to turn it around.

Skynyrd often chose unexpected covers; here it's country great Merle Haggard's "Honky Tonk Night Time Man." Van Zant added autobiographical lines of his own, but ultimately went with the original version; the altered one is now a bonus track, along with alternate takes of "You Got That Right" and "I Never Dreamed." There are also two outtakes, the Gaines-Van Zant tune "Georgia Peaches" and Rossington and Van Zant's "Sweet Little Missy" -- lesser material, but precious now.

The album's first single, "What's Your Name," aptly peaked at unlucky No. 13 on the singles chart.

Archived