1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

low contrast hurts me much

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by nemersion, Oct 8, 2001.

1. nemersion

nemersion 12oz Junior Member

low contrast hurts me much

Discussion started by nemersion - Oct 8, 2001

i cant fucking read half the text because its so similar to the background, and now i have a headache from trying to read it. fuck. fix that or something.

nemersion - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  2. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Oct 8, 2001

no offense, but your the first one ever to have that problem... maybe its your computer...

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. Jesus of Nazareth

Jesus of Nazareth 12oz Senior Member

Jesus of Nazareth - Replied Oct 8, 2001

I had a similair reaction when I found the site was back up. Most of the time I am online I use an older computer with a fucked up graphics card that is going to rape this site, making it nearly impossible to use. I like the grey scale color scheme, but everything is in the middle of the spectrum. Other than that, the new site looks great, thanks for being here, 12oz.

Jesus of Nazareth - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. OGBforMumia

OGBforMumia 12oz Member

OGBforMumia - Replied Oct 8, 2001

i agree on the grey scale thing. but i do like how small the stuff is. and race car. why dont you make your windows bigger making the resolution larger on your computer...that might help. but there is alot of new feautres that are gonna make me not sleep for a while. and what kind of time are you guys running on? i just posted and it said 7:45 pm. and over here (east coast) its 2:41... just asking

OGBforMumia - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

misteraven - Replied Oct 8, 2001

Contrast has been carefully considered. Too little contrast strains the eyes, and too much makes the type appear to vibrate making it difficult to read for extended periods. Although PC's will appear to have slightly more contrast due to display differences in how they process color, I feel like we pretty much hit the sweet spot. If your not getting enough contrast try adjusting it on your montior.

If your graphics card is shot there's not much I can do about it. I'm sure you can get a new card or new computer for cheap on eBay.

Also, you can adjts the text size in your browser if you want, although personally, I like the smaller text.

As far as time, we are on GMT -5 (East Coast USA). If your in a different time zone go change it in your Profile > Options to whatever it should be.

misteraven - Rank: Administrator - Messages:
  6. imported_Tesseract - Replied Oct 8, 2001

The best way to make correct adjustments is to use the "Adobe Gamma Loader.exe" it comes along with photoshop(default)
    Use it and i think the contrast issue wont exist anymore plus you'll work better in general.

7. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

--zeSto-- - Replied Oct 9, 2001

glad to see the technographics people are still 'pluging in'

8. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

rental - Replied Oct 9, 2001

rental - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  9. diggity

diggity Guest

diggity - Replied Oct 10, 2001

solution

get gamma from adobe, you can turn it on and off and it darkens your screen im not sure if they have it for pc but that works for mac

10. whatajerk

whatajerk 12oz Member

whatajerk - Replied Oct 10, 2001

when you surf the web you should NOT HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING WITH YOUR COMPUTER AT ALL!

When you design a site you have to take everything into consideration..the type of monitors people use, size of monitor, how many people will be at your site that use a MAC or a PC. colors look different in the MAc then in Windows. plus colors look different in I.E. then they do in Netscape.

You don't have control over what people use. you can just hope that it doens't bother anyone.

Also making the type bigger helps a GREAT deal.
    Peace

whatajerk - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  11. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

misteraven - Replied Oct 10, 2001

If your monitor colors are off, they're off. This board was tested using IE 4.x, 5.x and Netscape 4.x, 6.x on both the Mac OS 9.x, 10.x and Windows. Obviously they're going to look different considering how browsers render color and html plus the fact that PC's dont have built in color support on the OS level, not to mention what graphics chipset and card your using. However, they looked fine to me, and apparently to the other 99% of the users on here. If you're still having problems, adjust your brightness and contrast. Not because we ask you to, but because obviously your shit is set wrong if your part of the very small minority still complaining about the contrast. Not only will it fix your problems here on the boards, but everything else you view will look closer to how it was intended.

12. whatajerk

whatajerk 12oz Member

whatajerk - Replied Oct 10, 2001

Raven

Raven,
    I'm not going to get into this topic to much for the MAIN reason that I can view it just fine on my computer after i change the font size.
    The whole thing is that you have no control over what someone is using.
    I'm not saying that it doesn't work on a monitor set with 256 colors with a bad card. BUT you should take that into consideration. This is just a message board. not the full site.

I can sit here all day giving classes on Web Design and it wont help anyone here. I know that RISD must of tought you right!

peace

whatajerk - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. mud_buddha

mud_buddha 12oz Senior Member

mud_buddha - Replied Oct 10, 2001

For what it's worth, in this type of situation I usually apply the TV network standard. At the networks, for every letter they receive they assume that 10,000 of their viewers feel the same way as the letter-writer but were too busy/ complacent to bother writing out their feelings. In the case of this site, the numbers will obviously be smaller, but the kernel of the rule is probably still valid. I mean, for my part, this is the first thread I've actually read because of the new design.

mud_buddha - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

misteraven - Replied Oct 10, 2001

mud_buddha... In this case I'd disagree. If kids couldnt see the text they'd definately be letting us know. The users here arent generally a passive bunch.

whatajerk... To be honest I conciously decided to take my chances and possibly exclude a segment of viewers in exchange for an aesthetic that better represents what I wanted for the board. If you view my source code, the hexadecimal codes used to specify color throughout the board are mostly not a part of the websafe 216 pallete. I assumed most people are using a computer that has the neccessary hardware and software to view at least 16 bit color (65,536 colors or 2^16). *Although 24 bit color (16,777,215 colors or 2^24) is preferrable to view things how I really intended them to be viewed. If your system meets this requirement, you will see non dithered color regardless of the OS or browser type being used. In reality a $25 box of eBay would meet this requirement so if a viewer doesnt have a system capable, I'm not too worried about it. However, there's just so much planning that can be done. I'm not going to consider bad hardware or graphics cards or anything below 16 bit color, because in my opinion it's a waste. Particularly when you consider the fact that this message board is a privilege I extend, not a right. It also doesnt generate income that might otherwise make me reconsider my opinions on this topic.

By the way... not to invalidate my position, but web developement wasnt part of the curriculum during the years I attended RISD.

Thanks for the concern.

15. tmf0

tmf0 New Jack

tmf0 - Replied Oct 10, 2001

i really like this forum. but the thing about the contrast that annoys me is the link that takes me back to the public forum after ive replied, ive done that monitor stuff but its still fucked up

tmf0 - Rank: New Jack - Messages: