Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Low Budget Film Making - Arrested.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega, Feb 25, 2002.

1. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

Anyone that is a low budget film maker is straight gangsta!
    Anyone else make movies on shoe string budgets?
    What do you shoot on? Video? Film?
    Ever Been Arrested while filming?
    What Is the most money you have spent and the least you have spent?

Most: Two Mini-DV tapes ($20)
    One VHS Tape ($3 - for master product.)
    3 air-soft guns ($45)

Total for hour long film: $68

Least: One Mini-DV tape
    One VHS Tape
    Total for half-hour long film: $13

I was arrested once while filming for not having a permit. We figured, oh this shot will take 10 minutes to shoot, we'll be in and out before anyone notices.

We were parked on a dirt road with the trunk open, in the trunk were the air-soft guns (Character was buying guns.) and three patrol cars roll up on us and they start screaming, "Step away from the vehicle and put your hands on the back of your head!" We do as we are told, One cop unbuttons the strap on his gun holster and looks in the trunk. He grabs the air-soft guns and dismantles them saying some crazy cop codes, "What are you guys doing? Selling fire-arms?" "No, Officer, we are shooting a film." "Who makes movies?" "We do." "Oh really? What do you say you come down to the station?" Stupid Friend: "One what charges asshole?" Cop: "Asshole, eh?" Slaps on the cuffs and we get in the back of one of the three cop cars.

At the station they were like, "you guys are students, right?" "yeah" "Oh! you can get a permit for free! It only takes a phone call and a few hours!" "Really?" "Yeah, you can do what you want too! Just have to check with us to make sure they are blank-firing weapons first" "Sounds good." "Well Since you guys didn't know, we're gonna be nice and let you slide, By the way, why didn't you take the orange caps out of the guns?" "We are shooting in black and white." "Oh."

We got driven back to our car. It was wierd. We only would have gotten a $100 fine for not having a permit.

2. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx Senior Member

does the free permit thing apply for massachusetts too? Id like to get into making movies or something to that effect. shorts or something. IM me if you want, cen12bke cuz id like to know more.

3. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

THank you for pissing on my parade,

Camera: $900, I worked too hard for that. (Sony TRV-11)

Adobe Premiere - Free.

4. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

well, 'gangsta' isn't exactly the word i would use.

5. 455

455 Guest

damn that sucks...........tough shit.... sometimes it is hard to chew.

6. sectorTVA

sectorTVA Senior Member

me and my boy want to get into making short comical clips...we would like to specialize in gore effects, we are currently looking for artificial limbs, pumps, and other things necessarry for gore.....we want to shoot a scene playing cards for fingers...thought it would be cool...we watch alot of cheap horror movies and shit....i would like to get into clay mation too, that way we can pull some melting body parts bullshit....

7. Comp

Comp Senior Member

8. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo Member

you made a "video", not a "film".

Even a low budget hour long film would cost a shit load more just in processing alone.

My four and a half minute long animation cost roughly 600 bucks.

9. Clever Name

Clever Name Junior Member

I'd kill to make one, there's just the obstacles of creating a script that isn't bathed in shit, magically finding hundreds of thousands of dollars, casting, crew, pre-production, production, post-production, distribution and sanity that seem to keep holding me back.

For $68 I fucking salute you.

10. serum

serum Elite Member

just curious, what did you use to make your animation film? i also completed a 7 minute animated film. traditionally drawn, digitally colored on toonz, edited on avid.

11. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo Member

I drew everthing on paper and colored it in with india ink. I shot it on 16mm film with an old animation stand, and I did some optical printing with some hand painted film, and I also used a film only travelling matte that had a live action TV screen within a hand drawn scene. Nothing on the visual side was digital. But I first edited the soundtrack with Protools, then timed the drawings to the soundtrack, which I then dubbed onto mag, and from there I had the lab put an optical track on the release print of the film.
    Avid is good to use, but not always necessary. Many people (and my former bosses) place too much emphasis on knowing Avid, rather than knowing film making as a hands on process. That's why I love film so much, unless you have tons and tons of money, most of it has to be put together with your own two hands.

12. serum

serum Elite Member

dope. i'd be interested in seeing it. optical printing is fun as hell. do you work in the industry now? i'm almost there, just a language barrier away.

13. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo Member

I worked in the industry for a bit at a pretty well known animation studio, and eventually became totally uninterested and burned out on animation and film, and basically totally dissillusioned. Some of the only animation I like any more is the Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead.

I say, if you want to keep your passion for your film making, and you want to make your own stuff - don't get an industry job - but that's just because I got burnt out. It's a brutal industry to be a part of - and you have to take a lot of shit from alot of asshole primadonnas.

I would be willing to trade something if you want a copy of my film. I take it you are not in the US...where are you?

14. serum

serum Elite Member

your email isn't given out so if you'd like to trade i'd be down. my email is [email protected]

15. I Luv Roo

I Luv Roo Member

okay - i'll email you right now.