loud rap music causes white kids to retreat

GamblersGrin

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...ootball_league/

5 teams quit youth football league

Decision stirs racial tensions

By Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | June 6, 2005

In what youth football officials are calling a crisis, five suburban Pop Warner teams have voted to leave a conference filled with urban teams, including those from Mattapan, Dorchester, and Roxbury, roiling racial tensions in what is supposed to be a fun activity for 7- to-14-year-olds.

In interviews, team officials cited ''intimidating" rap music played at some city games, city teams' brand of hard-hitting football, and the safety of some city playing fields. Last summer, 11-year-old Jenry Gonzalez was shot in the chest during a Pop Warner practice in a Roxbury park.

Boston coaches say the suburban teams' departures are nothing more than thinly veiled racial prejudice and that suburban team officials did not try hard enough to talk things out before leaving.

''You can sugar-coat it, but I call it like I see it. I think it's racist," Dorchester Eagles president Kenny Williams said. '' 'Black kids hit our kids harder, black kids listen to rap music' -- it doesn't make any sense to me."

The allegations of prejudice are flying both ways.

In a letter obtained by the Globe, Needham-Wellesley officials contend that a Boston coach getting off a bus at their football field egged on his players by saying, ''Let's go get some white [expletive]!" They also said a black coach from Boston called one of their players, who is Haitian, a ''traitor."

''We had to leave because our concerns weren't being met with any serious considerations," said Mike Libertini, vice president of the Needham-Wellesley Pop Warner organization, which is establishing a conference with other suburban teams in another league run by American Youth Football.

For their part, coaches from city teams say that racially charged comments by them or their players are not tolerated. If anyone made them, they say, they no longer have their positions.

The withdrawals have left the now nine-team Pop Warner conference with only one suburban team, Walpole, and an official there says it is considering withdrawing from the conference as well. Pop Warner officials had an emergency meeting last week and have scheduled another for Thursday to discuss the problem.

It is perhaps the most contentious chapter in a saga that has played out over more than a decade. Since the first mostly nonwhite city team joined the Bay State Conference almost 12 years ago, predominantly white suburban teams have been leaving.

The first was Hingham. When the Boston Raiders of Roxbury joined, Hingham team officials said they did not want to travel to the city, conference officials say. Over the years, as teams from Dorchester, Mission Hill, Mattapan, and the South End joined the conference, officials say, teams from Scituate, Randolph, Dedham, and Braintree left. The exodus last month was the biggest to date.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

such bullshit..

another reason why i hate white people...

these people get too comfortable with their surrounding and

expect everyone around them to cater to their needs...

if you expose your kids to a little more than acoustic gutiars, tevas, abercrombie and surf boards then the kids would have an understanding of other cultures besides white culture..

they are just mad because these ghetto black kids had the home field advantage..i can just see it now...all these rich fucks driving their BMW SUVs and shit to the "bad side of town" for the game....

such garbage..

yes its racism

or they were intimidated...but isnt that the point in sports?

fuckin white people if they don't win they take there ball and go home

this one is lookin bad for my race

I'm going to have to agree this is pure racism play music too loud? thats what you do to warm up! hit too hard? its football asshole

im gettin tired of everytime a white person does something, a nonewhite person can automatically go "i think its racist" and it be valid...thats total bullshit. I like black people, asians, mexicans, everything, but just like white people, tthose others piss me off as individuals, not as a race, but automatically, RACIST!

Originally posted by Pfffffffffft@Jun 8 2005, 01:45 PM

such bullshit..

if you expose your kids to a little more than acoustic gutiars, tevas, abercrombie and surf boards then the kids would have an understanding of other cultures besides white culture..

they are just mad because these ghetto black kids had the home field advantage..i can just see it now...all these rich fucks driving their BMW SUVs and shit to the "bad side of town" for the game....

such garbage..

yes its racism

Don't like this country? You can move the fuck out. Perhaps you would rather be living in Africa living in a fucking straw hut and getting bitten by snakes and other shit. If you're Hispanic... no one brought you here, you came on your own accord. Shut the fuck up and move the fuck out or move out and shut the fuck up.

Once you have kids you might not want them to play in areas which 11 year olds get shot playing games.

Im tired of people playing the same fucking racial card over and over again and trying to integrate it into every fucking part of life.

Just because you don't mind fucked up neighborhoods does not mean others don't.

Originally posted by BobTheBuilder.+Jun 8 2005, 02:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BobTheBuilder. - Jun 8 2005, 02:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Pfffffffffft@Jun 8 2005, 01:45 PM

such bullshit..

such garbage..

yes its racism

Don't like this country? You can move the fuck out. Perhaps you would rather be living in Africa living in a fucking straw hut and getting bitten by snakes and other shit. If you're Hispanic... no one brought you here, you came on your own accord. Shut the fuck up and move the fuck out or move out and shut the fuck up.

Once you have kids you might not want them to play in areas which 11 year olds get shot playing games.

Im tired of people playing the same fucking racial card over and over again and trying to integrate it into every fucking part of life.

Just because you don't mind fucked up neighborhoods does not mean others don't.

[/b]

he's actually white....

but yeah, its odd how "i dont want to go to a neighborhood to a field where a child got shot in the chest" automatically means "i dont want to play against black people, fuckin blacks"

Sounds like you don't like the way this country is run.

"another reason why i hate white people..."

At the same time you're trying to argue racism is stupid?

Point fucking is, if i make enough money to live in the suburbs I don't want my kid playing in the fucking ghetto where I worked my ass off to get out of.

by segregation, are you sayin race? or wealth?

he makes a point, if you live in the ghetto your whole life, with other whites, and blacks, and you work your ass off to get outta there because your sister was killed at 8 years old by drug dealers. the last thing you want is your kids having to go back into that area to play football.

bus the city teams to the suburbs

I played 2 sports in highschool and it is true a lot of the feilds and parks where city teams play are shitty glass and rocks and such

but whity wont foot the bill to bus blacky into his hood

and most city schools barely have enough money for books let alone busdrivers on doubletime gas and equipment

onesecondple-

i agree...some blacks are quick to pull the race card on some bullshit...

thats lack of skills to have a constructive arguement to prove them selves right or lack of excepting responsibility for their own actions..

i love when blacks pull the race card on me..its fun...

they set themselves up for failure

If you're black and you move out to the suburbs you won't want your kid playing football in the ghetto either.

Face the fucking facts you idiots... 70% of ALL RAP sales come from the suburbs.

Do you even know what segregation is you fucking dumbass?

Im pretty fucking sure that if the black kids would be from another suburb this whole problem which arose wouldn't have.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Jun 8 2005, 02:56 PM

he makes a point, if you live in the ghetto your whole life, with other whites, and blacks, and you work your ass off to get outta there because your sister was killed at 8 years old by drug dealers. the last thing you want is your kids having to go back into that area to play football.

race, wealth..same shit...

think about it...you dont have neighborhood after neighborhood of rich black folks, now do you???

look at reality..

Originally posted by Pfffffffffft+Jun 8 2005, 03:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pfffffffffft - Jun 8 2005, 03:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-onesecondple@Jun 8 2005, 02:56 PM

race, wealth..same shit...

think about it...you dont have neighborhood after neighborhood of rich black folks, now do you???

look at reality..

[/b]

nor do places like my work have white person after white person comin in driving cars like yukon xl's on 25's on welfare....

Do you know what the " If you don't like this country thing" is about? Its about people talking shit every chance they get and in the end they do JACK FUCKING SHIT ABOUT IT.

If you wanna change the way shit is, do it. Talking shit and complaining about every fucking thing is not going to get you anywhere.

How many of blacks are christians? A fuckin' lot.

What the fuck are political affiliations? SHIT. SO STOP FUCKING POINTING AT IRRELEVANT BULLSHIT.

Originally posted by villain@Jun 8 2005, 03:06 PM

Here's an idea! Let's all ignore the ghetto instead of addressing it's problems!

Well said. And the only people who are able to change the ghetto is those that live in the ghetto, don't expect some rich people to go out and fight battles they don't know anything about.

Get kids to go to school instead of dropping out at 15 and selling crack.

Get off of fucking welfare and go out and get a job instead of sittin on your ass complaining while smoking zig zags and sippin on 40s.

Pay your mama some fucking rent instead of buying a fucking escelade on dubs.