Lost in Translation

Guest Pilau Hands

Guest Pilau Hands

http://www.empiremovies.com/images/posters/lost-in-translation.jpg'>

I really enjoyed this movie. Overally, it's just beautiful. It has that independent movie feel. The story doesn't hit you over the head and scream at you, you kind of just go with it. Because of that, I understand how a lot of people thought it was just slow. It's kind of a romantic not really romance film. If you don't mind spending the money, check it out, otherwise, wait for Blockbuster.

Pretty good review.

http://www.joblo.com/lostintranslation.htm

PLOT:

An aging American actor is in Japan to shoot a whiskey commercial for lots of money. His wife is home with the kids, and their marriage is rocky, at best. In his hotel, he meets a young woman, killing time as her husband/photographer works around the clock. Suffering from insomnia, the two lost souls slowly discover the city, and more about themselves, together.

CRITIQUE:

This is the kind of movie that my parents would shut off halfway through and slap me upside the head for recommending in the first place. It's slow, it's introspective, it features a number of scenes with no dialogue & characters simply walking about town, and ultimately, it doesn't have much to say...on the surface. Yes, LOST IN TRANSLATION has already become the early "critic's darling" of the year and despite it being a darn good film, I for one, can't say that it's anything more than a sweet homage to Japan as seen through the eyes of two lonely, conflicted Americans, each grappling with questions about their respective existence. The film's soundtrack, much like the one Coppola utilized in her previously overrated directorial debut, THE VIRGIN SUICIDES, is also worthy of notice, especially the way in which the songs resonated with the material. The cinematography, the whole look and feel of the picture was also breathtaking (the golf course shot was particularly divine), with many scenes in and around Tokyo, really giving you a true sense of the differences in culture as well as the alienation felt by its lead characters. The acting was also solid, although once again, I can't agree with most others out there, who seem to be shouting "Oscar!" for both Murray and Johannson. I don't know what criteria others consider when acknowledging great acting gigs, but I personally need a little more than playing things "straight-face" as Murray does brilliantly throughout this entire film (although he did that even better in RUSHMORE, in my opinion). Johansson is also good, but again, her character, much like Murray's isn't really emotive or challenged enough to be considered as a brilliant performance, in my humble opinion.

But my main issue with the film, which like I said earlier, despite an extremely deliberate pace (read: very slow) managed to hook me with its existential theme dipped in the connection between human beings, loneliness, suffering, etc..., was its bottom line, which was a courageous approach to utilize (on the surface, all we're shown is two strangers meeting in a foreign city and spending some mostly frivolous time together), but not an altogether fulfilling one once everything was said and done. It reminded me a lot of ABOUT SCHMIDT in that sense, but at least with that film, I was overpowered by the time the final shot came around and understood some of what that journey must have meant, and felt like. Here, we get a resolution, but it wasn't a touching, emotional or particularly profound one...although I did love the "whisper"...brilliant! Then again, it took me three viewings of ABOUT SCHMIDT to fully grasp its deeper meaning, so who knows, maybe I was just a little slow on the uptake today. Having said that, if you're the type of person (kind of like my parents), who likes their movies straightforward, fast-paced, filled with obvious plot points or greater emotional impact, I'm not sure if this "artsy" flick will sit well with you. If, on the other hand, you enjoy contemplating your existence, don't mind sitting through a slow-to-develop "plot" about two strangers hanging out and connecting on some level or another, buy yourself a ticket to this film and discover its more insightful meaning to you. Oh yeah, it's also got some pretty funny moments featuring Murray's character, the washed-up actor, clashing with Japanese culture, in case you thought that it was just a dry drama. Personally, I had simply read/heard way too much hyperbole about this movie before my screening, so I couldn't help but feel a little let down afterwards. Hopefully, my review will lower your expectations a touch and allow you to fully enjoy the piece as it was intended. I would definitely catch it again some time, hopefully with a drink in one hand and a letter to my loved one in the other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can only say why I wanted to make the movie: to convey what I love about Tokyo and visiting the city. It’s about moments in life that are great but don’t last. They don’t go on, but you always have the memory and they have an effect on you. That’s what I was thinking about.

- Sofia Coppola

...and might i say, that Scarlett Johansson is DOPE.

really beautiful in this movie.

seriously, lips, curves, oh my god what's up girl?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Scarlett Johannson (my friend told me recently she is only 18) is great, I loved her in Ghost World as well and I really like Murray in his dry humor roles (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums). Can't really say what I love so much about this movie but it stayed with me for days...I enjoyed that their relationship didn't go the route that it would've gone in any typical movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HESHIANDET

i kinda liked this movie until i realized that s. copola directed it. at that point i decided it wa spretentious and wanna be. bill murry is def banging in it and so is scarlette. my gripe is that those parts (esp. murry's) were written for those people and thats the only reason why the film was successful in its message. if murry and johannson weren'y in the film i think it would have been a series of trendy and contrite "shots" coupled w/ a weak story and dialog.

my .02

johanson is hot as a mugg though

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

i kinda liked this movie until i realized that s. copola directed it. at that point i decided it wa spretentious and wanna be. bill murry is def banging in it and so is scarlette. my gripe is that those parts (esp. murry's) were written for those people and thats the only reason why the film was successful in its message. if murry and johannson weren'y in the film i think it would have been a series of trendy and contrite "shots" coupled w/ a weak story and dialog.

my .02

johanson is hot as a mugg though

that's definitely true...maybe more so for Bill, but still definitely true.

BUT, that is just kind of "after-the-movie-banter". as in, I still love watching the movie. maybe Sofia C. isn't as talented a director as one might think (at least in this movie), but the actors are badass. So, its still a good movie, just from different sources.

I'm going to see it again tonight.

• 2 months later...

I am late as fuck, but this movie was pretty awesome. I had fun through out the whole movie and it hit close to home because I have had several relationships where me or the other party involved had loving feelings for one another, but one of us were tied down.

My hair covers my eyes now, I think I may get a fauxhawk or a straight mohawk. hm.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pilau Hands

I don't think I really remember you specifically anymore, but it's almost like you're a ghost of 12oz past that comes around once in a while to ruin things and make people groan. You just come out a of nowhere and it's like "Oh no, here comes so and so...act busy."

Guest Pilau Hands

intangi, negative, i didn't get an email. i'll be on the lookout though. i have a tendency to delete anything that looks like spam while i scan over things.

slump doctor, i got your message and replied back...

never never never that

btw, i can see where you're coming from on your points. for me though...well i'm just the kind of Mr. Sentimental crapfactory that responds to all the visual stuff enough to make me forget to analyze the story line. i was just feeling it...i would make a horrible critic. i'm that guy that loves everything :)

i dont get why people knocked the story so much.. i thought it was good.. it wasn't anything extraordinary in that nothing extraordinary happened, but i thought it felt complete. i think someone said it before but it really was just two 'lost souls' connecting, which was very interesting, at least to me. maybe it's that i felt i could relate to that, the feeling of being lost and then finding something or someone that reignites a sort of passion or interest in life.