1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

longest lasting paint on freights

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by professor poopatronic, Feb 4, 2002.

1. longest lasting paint on freights

Discussion started by professor poopatronic - Feb 4, 2002

ok i dont think there's ever been a topic specifically about this and it's definately pertinent information with freight pieces running for years often... so do any of you guys have a good idea of what colors/brands last the longest on freights and what doesn't? i really have no clue but to state the obvious i know gold and silver don't last nearly as long as their non-metallic counterparts.

2. mopius

mopius Guest

mopius - Replied Feb 4, 2002

i bet rusto colors last longer than krylon, but i have no proof....most of the flicks i see from fr8s that are 95 or older almost all of them are really faded no matter what...i think it also depends on where they go, if they go where it rains and snows a lot i bet they get faded faster than a warm place....but maybe im wrong, thats just what i think

3. imported_xhobox

imported_xhobox 12oz Member

imported_xhobox - Replied Feb 4, 2002

rusto has more paint in it and less xylene from what i know... so in my opinion rusto would hold up the best... but some colors hold up better than others... silver being a color that tends to fade quicker... there are afew others... i know on the bench theres some flicks of before and after... where they show pieces when they are fresh and afew years later... interesting.

imported_xhobox - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Feb 4, 2002

I assume Rusto as well, on general principles, although I'm hearing rumors that Krylon semi flat black holds its own.
    On the metallics tip, it's true their lifespan is shorter, and there are some weak silvers out there for endurance (walmart), but American Accents old silver is holding up remarkably well 18 months later on some steel I am familiar with - still complete, still shiny.
    Also, any word on the euro paints? Belton and Montana are candy when new but I'm hearing rumors they can't go the distance.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Feb 4, 2002

I think surface preparation is underrated as a factor in running time. You know all the stuff they recommend on the can about sanding and tack cloth would certainly help, if anybody had the time and chillness. But if you paint over a spattering of mud and crud, or even dust, count on quick flaking and a short lifespan.
    If you're painting a rustbucket car, Rusto has the edge. The fish oil in Rusto works into rust to create an impermeable layer for the paint to sit on, whereas Krylon is just coloring the rust which continues to flake.
    Of course a lot of this is just talk. Until somebody runs a scientific test, I'm gonna bet on Rusto.
    Somebody could run an experiment. I could see Hence doing one of his "daily double" freights, one with all Rusto and one all Krylon (matching colors) and track the thing for a couple years.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. baLLeRplAyA

baLLeRplAyA 12oz Member

baLLeRplAyA - Replied Feb 4, 2002

rusto!!!

baLLeRplAyA - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. Sorc bcj

Sorc bcj 12oz Member

Sorc bcj - Replied Feb 4, 2002

A lot of people talk shit on krylon but this year i had a piece (krylon jade green and emerald outline) from 97-98 return without a hint of fading....but i'd still go with the rusto.

Sorc bcj - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. mopius

mopius Guest

mopius - Replied Feb 4, 2002

ohh shit i was just thinking of my can of clear coat...i cant help but think that it would make the other paint last a lot longer...maybe i will give it a try

9. NATO

NATO Guest

NATO - Replied Feb 4, 2002

i definatley think the weather as previously pointed out is one of the biggest factors in how long paint will last. i suppose what condition the surface you are painting in also is a factor, as well the temperature when painting and how well the can was shaken. mettalics just turn into dust that you can rub off with your hand.

10. ASER1NE

ASER1NE 12oz Veteran Member

ASER1NE - Replied Feb 5, 2002

nothing coats/lasts longer than tough coat silver...........feather tip bu shit its dope

ASER1NE - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

T.T Boy - Replied Feb 5, 2002

weather must play a factor in this, i think that a freight that only does trips in a generally easy place weatherwise would last longer than a freight that runs in harder weather place. say a train that runs from the mountains in say alberta to vancouver would have it alot harder than a train that ran in say texas to new mexico, less tough conditions would help the paint hold up.

T.T Boy - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  12. BIG T

BIG T 12oz Member

BIG T - Replied Feb 5, 2002

texas to mexico??? are you kidding me? the sun play a harsh role in making paint fade quicker. i think a train would be better up north like in alaska where it roams around in the dark for months at a time. the sun in the south is a force not to be fucked with it.:D

BIG T - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. fu

fu 12oz Member

fu - Replied Feb 5, 2002

give u guys somethiing to try....

I have been using bedliner tough spray from kragen auto.. works the best..(only, BLACK<Grey)
    (no drips,no fading,no chipping,no weather can't fuck with this paint..)

the down side $9.00 a can

unless of course u have a homie back from the high school days and is still working there as a store manager..then hey u can buy your oil oilfilter and your air freshner and all the cans of tough guard and you only pay $10 bucks..

try it .....seriously it works

u got this from tryin 2 go wet feet archieve...

fu - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. HAL

HAL Guest

HAL - Replied Feb 5, 2002

My guess would be american accents or rusto. Maybe some of the odd brands, like Hammerite, DeRusto, and whatever.
    Wiping down your spot with a rag isn't a bad plan. If you could properly prep the surface, that would be ideal, but we al know that freight painting is hardly ideal conditions. Sometimes I bring a rag, if i remember, and just kind of wipe the panel down. I like to do this especially when i have a burner planned that I'd like to see still there in 10 years.
    Clear coat is great for keeping the paint looking fresh and preserving the color. A quick mist over your piece will probably help it last longer, especially with silvers and other metallics, since they tarnish and fade.

15. and now you choke

and now you choke 12oz Elite Member

and now you choke - Replied Feb 5, 2002

if walmart gloss black doesn't last then i guess i'm shot. i just don't have the money to hack up rusto all the time.

and now you choke - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: