longest lasting paint on freights

Guest professor poopatronic

Guest professor poopatronic

ok i dont think there's ever been a topic specifically about this and it's definately pertinent information with freight pieces running for years often... so do any of you guys have a good idea of what colors/brands last the longest on freights and what doesn't? i really have no clue but to state the obvious i know gold and silver don't last nearly as long as their non-metallic counterparts.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i bet rusto colors last longer than krylon, but i have no proof....most of the flicks i see from fr8s that are 95 or older almost all of them are really faded no matter what...i think it also depends on where they go, if they go where it rains and snows a lot i bet they get faded faster than a warm place....but maybe im wrong, thats just what i think

rusto has more paint in it and less xylene from what i know... so in my opinion rusto would hold up the best... but some colors hold up better than others... silver being a color that tends to fade quicker... there are afew others... i know on the bench theres some flicks of before and after... where they show pieces when they are fresh and afew years later... interesting.

I assume Rusto as well, on general principles, although I'm hearing rumors that Krylon semi flat black holds its own.

On the metallics tip, it's true their lifespan is shorter, and there are some weak silvers out there for endurance (walmart), but American Accents old silver is holding up remarkably well 18 months later on some steel I am familiar with - still complete, still shiny.

Also, any word on the euro paints? Belton and Montana are candy when new but I'm hearing rumors they can't go the distance.

I think surface preparation is underrated as a factor in running time. You know all the stuff they recommend on the can about sanding and tack cloth would certainly help, if anybody had the time and chillness. But if you paint over a spattering of mud and crud, or even dust, count on quick flaking and a short lifespan.

If you're painting a rustbucket car, Rusto has the edge. The fish oil in Rusto works into rust to create an impermeable layer for the paint to sit on, whereas Krylon is just coloring the rust which continues to flake.

Of course a lot of this is just talk. Until somebody runs a scientific test, I'm gonna bet on Rusto.

Somebody could run an experiment. I could see Hence doing one of his "daily double" freights, one with all Rusto and one all Krylon (matching colors) and track the thing for a couple years.

ohh shit i was just thinking of my can of clear coat...i cant help but think that it would make the other paint last a lot longer...maybe i will give it a try

i definatley think the weather as previously pointed out is one of the biggest factors in how long paint will last. i suppose what condition the surface you are painting in also is a factor, as well the temperature when painting and how well the can was shaken. mettalics just turn into dust that you can rub off with your hand.

weather must play a factor in this, i think that a freight that only does trips in a generally easy place weatherwise would last longer than a freight that runs in harder weather place. say a train that runs from the mountains in say alberta to vancouver would have it alot harder than a train that ran in say texas to new mexico, less tough conditions would help the paint hold up.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

weather must play a factor in this, i think that a freight that only does trips in a generally easy place weatherwise would last longer than a freight that runs in harder weather place. say a train that runs from the mountains in say alberta to vancouver would have it alot harder than a train that ran in say texas to new mexico, less tough conditions would help the paint hold up.

texas to mexico??? are you kidding me? the sun play a harsh role in making paint fade quicker. i think a train would be better up north like in alaska where it roams around in the dark for months at a time. the sun in the south is a force not to be fucked with it.:D

give u guys somethiing to try....

I have been using bedliner tough spray from kragen auto.. works the best..(only, BLACK<Grey)

(no drips,no fading,no chipping,no weather can't fuck with this paint..)

the down side $9.00 a can

unless of course u have a homie back from the high school days and is still working there as a store manager..then hey u can buy your oil oilfilter and your air freshner and all the cans of tough guard and you only pay $10 bucks..

try it .....seriously it works

u got this from tryin 2 go wet feet archieve...

My guess would be american accents or rusto. Maybe some of the odd brands, like Hammerite, DeRusto, and whatever.

Wiping down your spot with a rag isn't a bad plan. If you could properly prep the surface, that would be ideal, but we al know that freight painting is hardly ideal conditions. Sometimes I bring a rag, if i remember, and just kind of wipe the panel down. I like to do this especially when i have a burner planned that I'd like to see still there in 10 years.

Clear coat is great for keeping the paint looking fresh and preserving the color. A quick mist over your piece will probably help it last longer, especially with silvers and other metallics, since they tarnish and fade.

coating once over with a thin or fatcap is a guarenteed fade. stock caps or a double coat can make the diference of years.

i saw a krylon piece from 96 two days ago that was still hanging on, a little duller but definately still intact. unless you've got all kinds of loot or a steady rusto rack spot, just paint with whatever you've got. most shit doesnt run for more than a year or two anyway. golden west flats and upfe's are the only thing i consistantly see older pieces on. guys that were up all kinds a few years back that have slowed down since are barely up anymore.

Guest Good Morning Captain

Walmart silver and gold is chicken stock based. So when it is applied to rust it makes a mildly delicious zink oxide soup.

Guest krowteN

traditional rusto (the stops rust ones)lasts the longest. hands down

krylon lasts long but looses its pigment

cheap silver about 2 years tops.

Originally posted by Good Morning Captain

Walmart silver and gold is chicken stock based. So when it is applied to rust it makes a mildly delicious zink oxide soup.

YEEEEEEEHAWW WE GOT SOME OF THAT CHICKEN STOCK 'ROUND HERE BOSS WEEEEE.

colorplace silver and gold eats the fuck out of rust..you could do a whole fill with 1/4 a can and piss on it and it ain't going nowhere til the sun shinesssssssss.

one time i used some of that colourplace stuff choke is rambling about right....get the flicks back my fill was grey?NO something happened but that shit didn't shine one bit and it was silver aight you could see the shine at night.................spoooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkyyyyyyyy

Originally posted by rustoleirm

krylon sun yellow, or walmart gloss white hold up the best. no question:loopy: :

ha ha...take this guys word for it......

of course, given the amount of coats youd have to put on, it probably would last for a while..

four coats later you have a clean fill finally.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by professor poopatronic

ok i dont think there's ever been a topic specifically about this and it's definately pertinent information with freight pieces running for years often... so do any of you guys have a good idea of what colors/brands last the longest on freights and what doesn't? i really have no clue but to state the obvious i know gold and silver don't last nearly as long as their non-metallic counterparts.

like everybody else, i'm gonna go with rusto...but, if you have the time or curiosity, try rubbing vaseline on it...maybe it'll work, i also heard that it's harder to buff!

Guest yehaw

calling all scientists- there really needs to be an experiment that tests all these brands to see what really holds it down.

it is pretty strange that what we do on trains is classified as destruction, when we are probably actually sealing the panels we paint from rust corrosion.

well kinda thinking around on this a little, i remember some before and after fr8s were posted (nace fr8s i think) by ese if im not mistaken,

the fills were all washed away, but the outlines were still there and i couldnt figure it out.

but im guessing it was a rusto outlines and im guessing everyone posting above has said that rusto black runs longest (i havent read them all yet) but i was painting with American Accents the other day (made by rustoleum) and i noticed that if i touched my wetpaint covered glove to a dry part of the AA paint, it would come off. so i was wondering if american accents was as waterproof as alot of other paints are.

its rained on my practice wall since all that, and the AA paint is still there, but i havent really looked to see if it has faded any.

but what i was thinking, is if American Accents isnt waterproof (which wouldnt make any since that a rustoleum product wasnt) that nace might have used american accents as the fill on some of those peices and regular rusto black as the outline. yea, this is another topic, but it still relates.

but somethin else im wondering to all you kids that have used MONTANA.

ive seen in scribble that they advertise their cans of black as being some incredible shit.

i havent had the pleasure just yet, so someone enlighten me.

is it as smooth as i hear? cover as well? worth the 5somethin a can? and is it more perminant than rusto black?

to the dude asking about us sealing the cars:

i wouldnt think we'd seal them all that much unless we did a WHOLE CAR on a brand new car, then theyd be pissed because we went over the logo and numbers and shit.

i doubt they really care about the cars rusting and shit to be honest. but whatever.

Archived