long live ron and don

T.T Boy

www.canada.com/national/

MacLean will return to CBC hockey

Donna Spencer

The Canadian Press

Ron MacLean and the CBC agreed to a new contract yesterday, ensuring the popular sportscaster will be back at his post on Hockey Night In Canada on Oct. 12.

"I'm delighted," Mr. MacLean told a news conference at CBC's downtown head office last night. "I obviously felt an overwhelming sense of appreciation from the viewers and that's always the bond you try to strike."

Nancy Lee, executive director of CBC Sports, and Mr. Mac-Lean's representative, Don Meehan, agreed to a deal after meeting at the hockey agent's office in Mississauga yesterday.

"Everybody in this country loves hockey, I would suggest they love Hockey Night In Canada and they clearly love Ron MacLean," said Ms. Lee. "The agreement we reached was based on meeting both our needs. There's absolutely no pressure from the sponsors. The deal was done today between Don Meehan and myself."

Mr. MacLean arrived at head office last night and officially signed the new deal. He missed a scheduled appearance on Open Mike with Mike Bullard, but later joined the show by phone to announce his deal. Fans held up signs like "Whitby loves Mac-Lean" and cheered every time his name was mentioned.

During the show's opening, Mr. Bullard had fun with the scope of the contract dispute.

"This is a man who pushes terrorism and Iraq right back to the classifieds," he said to laughter. "I've never been prouder to be Canadian. He's the same age I am, now he's a rock star."

Yesterday's announcement marked a dramatic turn by the CBC, which announced four days earlier Mr. MacLean was leaving after 17 years with CBC Sports because contract negotiations had broken down.

CBC was inundated with e-mails -- 10,000 by Wednesday -- most of them calling for Mr. MacLean's return.

Both sides had downplayed money was the issue, but that was where a first tentative deal broke down. Mr. MacLean wanted a raise of between 10 and 15 per cent and he said CBC offered him four. His yearly salary on his previous contract has been pegged at $400,000. His Coach's Corner colleague, Don Cherry, recently signed a contract for a reported $700,000 a year.

© Copyright 2002 The Ottawa Citizen

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived