Local Vs. National Fame?

oneeightyone

Here's a thought that occured to me recently.

Local vs. National Fame.

FOr example. Take one person that goes around the country painting and getting his/her name up as much as possible, painting with other writers, doing heavy prods and pretty much getting a stir around the name from the east to west coast.

But on the local level he only has menial fame. How many heads are out right now in everyone's local area that in a few years will go unnoticed as another scratch in the wall?

Obviously the national fame is the top one, but how important is local fame to do so.

just a thought i had.

discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Well, i think it's important to have a strong local following as your foundation before you try and make it in the big time alongside the ranks of Twist and Futura 2000.

No skyscraper can prick the sky the way it does without a strong foundation nor does a mountain soar into the heavens without a mighty bit of bedrock underneath it.

I prefer when dudes don't seem to live anywhere full time... they just crush spots all around the country and do their thing. I like the fact that I have no idea where Amaze or Dr. Sex come from, but no matter where I travel, I'm going to see their shit. Then again, I guess people like that probably are well known locally before they start making national moves.

i told myself i wouldnt take 12oz seriously anymore, but local fame is more important to me because im not just trying to show off to other writers I want to inspire some 10 yr old kid walking down the streets. nationwide fame is tight, but only things standing out on that level are kids with nothing to lose, and kids who have some artsy vision. take this with a grain of salt but i feel like the only people recognizing those people are on 12oz right now or are some pissed off rail people. if your thinking about the long run, asking a question like that just leads to ASER1NE's statement, youre in it for the wrong reasons. It means you arent having fun with it. my crew is international, and ive painted and got up more in other cities than I have where I live. its not about the fame, its about the rush, the fever when you're out painting with your boy, and you tell yourself ' no dont hit more its not straight' but no one around screams at you otherwise.

im not saying im not down for working out a nice wall piece, or painting nationwide, but the fame comes after the fun.. or else its just work not carrying a tool with you to write on stuff when ever you get the oppertunity

Originally posted by SeezurSalad+Nov 5 2005, 09:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SeezurSalad - Nov 5 2005, 09:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ASER1NE@Nov 5 2005, 05:19 PM

If you really care about Fame that much you should quit now before you dissapoint yourself, you aint in this for the right reasons...

So what is the reason that YOU write the same word over and over again?

[/b]

So its there for people to see, everywhere they go so they dont have a choice but to look at it.....

The difference is i couldnt give a FUCK whether anybody, writer or joe blow nobody likes it or not.

fuck national fame... without the internet and magazines there would be no such thing... 99% of nationally known writers have NEVER kinged there cities... and from my experience most of them (and note i say most, there is bound to be few exceptions) are held as a joke by the real heads... (at least here anyway). graff is wack now anyway... maybe 2% of the kids out now are doing things the right way...

Originally posted by ASER1NE+Nov 6 2005, 06:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASER1NE - Nov 6 2005, 06:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by SeezurSalad@Nov 5 2005, 09:10 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-ASER1NE@Nov 5 2005, 05:19 PM

If you really care about Fame that much you should quit now before you dissapoint yourself, you aint in this for the right reasons...

So what is the reason that YOU write the same word over and over again?

So its there for people to see, everywhere they go so they dont have a choice but to look at it.....

The difference is i couldnt give a FUCK whether anybody, writer or joe blow nobody likes it or not.

[/b]

We're talking about fame. Not whether people like your shit or not. Every writer writes graffiti for that reason.

i write for myself and the people i look up to... i could give a fuck about other writers whom i could give a fuck about's opinion... most writers do it to boost there own low self esteeme anyway. You all may not agree but it is a MAJOR underlying factor for the majority of writers... there are 3 viable reasons : (in the this modest writers opinion)

1- to carry on traditions of something that you were raised on and embrace wholeheartedly (this is for the people i look up to)

2- to destroy things and piss people off (this is for me)

3- to release something that needent be pent up inside you... ie: emotions (this is because of everybody else)

if your doing it to "express your artistic side" then you are in it for ALL the wrong reasons. go buy a coloring book...

if your in it for groupie love then your in it for ALL the wrong reasons... get some game, your pathetic...

and if your in it to have kids tell you how great you are then your in it for ALL the wrong reasons... yep, you really impressed those 12 year olds...

how do these threads get so off topic...?

fuck national fame... and in philly throw ups DO NOT go over tags... NOTHING goes over tags...

Originally posted by HATEBREEDER+Nov 7 2005, 07:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HATEBREEDER - Nov 7 2005, 07:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-LENS@Nov 5 2005, 10:41 PM

No skyscraper can prick the sky the way it does without a strong foundation nor does a mountain soar into the heavens without a mighty bit of bedrock underneath it.

look at mr. wordsmith!!!! hes going crazy!!!

[/b]

I post on a local level so i can show off my deep intellectual ability and vast storehouse of $5 words i picked up while in college

yo i travel allot, i see so few heads that are seriously up on a national level, i know i try to paint in every city i go to at least once but i know most people will never see anything i put up its fun thats why i paint i dont know about the rest of you but if it isnt fun why the fuck you risking your ass on a daily basis. I definitely have respect for the heads i see up all over the country but respect and fame are different things.

I personally am more content with the walls i paint getting the buff quicker then lasting a long time the way i look at it if it gets buffed quick its a good spot lots of people seeing it lots of people complaining so they get rid of it quicker.

if you paint enough, in a local or national setting, you will get fame

but in my opinion, as harvey said, you are almost known locally by default before you move national, otherwise, how the hell are you getting up so much if you aren't known in at least one city?

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by trackstand+Dec 5 2005, 12:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trackstand - Dec 5 2005, 12:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MrJackDaniels@Nov 5 2005, 09:27 PM

were you stoned when that came to mind?

Haha!

[/b]

first i think you have to prove yourself to your city then to the world then keep your city in lock so niggas know its your domain....but yeah i seen dr sexd everywhere and those evergreen tree things in la here in reno in sac everywhere!!!!