living in a van

Mr. Mang

my lease runs out in july and i am considering going on the road for the summer visiting friends and doing an intership out in LA for a small company a girl i know owns. getting out of the midwest... skating tons of parks... shooting photos and seeing friends. sounds like a good summer to me.

rather than worrying about paying lots of money to rent a place or sleep in a motel, i am thinking of possibly getting a work van and living out of there for the summer. i could crash there when i was not staying with friends and wouldnt have to worry about burdening anyone. plus i dont want the commitment of working 40 hours a week just to pay rent temporarily. i could lurk up in SF for a while and see if i want to stay there or not.

i was wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this and/or could offer me some advice. seems like 12oz has a lot of well traveled and experienced people on here.

any help would be appreciated!

anchorless.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Mr. Mang@Jan 24 2006, 07:01 PM

my lease runs out in july and i am considering going on the road for the summer visiting friends and doing an intership out in LA for a small company a girl i know owns. getting out of the midwest... skating tons of parks... shooting photos and seeing friends. sounds like a good summer to me.

rather than worrying about paying lots of money to rent a place or sleep in a motel, i am thinking of possibly getting a work van and living out of there for the summer. i could crash there when i was not staying with friends and wouldnt have to worry about burdening anyone. plus i dont want the commitment of working 40 hours a week just to pay rent temporarily. i could lurk up in SF for a while and see if i want to stay there or not.

i was wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this and/or could offer me some advice. seems like 12oz has a lot of well traveled and experienced people on here.

anchorless.

hmmm.... where will you bathe?

I guess the "down by a river" thing

sounds like a plan now ay.

never done it, but I suppose you could:

use those neutral smelling baby/quick wipes and you won't really need to shower.

shave your head or just let it go greasy and you won't need to worry about shampoo.

wait...you said July. might want to pick up a tent or something also...that July/August heat would be brutal in a van.

Originally posted by Mr. Mang@Jan 24 2006, 06:01 PM

anchorless.

shit man all i ever do is travel, yeah vans arent that bad to live out of but maybe try to get a short bus you can pimp those out allot more then a van. yeah and showers aren't much of a problem just get some gym membership or rock hotel pools etc the only shit that sucks about living in a van in the city is finding good spots to park it for long periods of time.

Originally posted by ego maniac@Jan 24 2006, 06:09 PM

hmmm.... where will you bathe?

I forgot where I'd read this, but someone put out a free PDF book about being homeless by choice and it really focused on living out of a van in a climate such as Cali/Hawaii. If I can remember the name or where I found it I'll post it here.... but he did say that for bathing purposes, when he couldnt use a friends shower, he would just find the local YMCA and take care of bathing there.

Or wash up in a restaurant bathroom somewhere, in the worst case scenario.

People do it all the time in Venice (LA). I see theyre smelly asses all the time, they hang out on Rose st around 7th st. You should go ask them how their life is going. I have to say aside from bathing, and not being able to bring the women back to your pad, it might not be so bad. All you need is a subscription to the YMCA. Thatll take care of the bathing, and if youre clean enough maybe shell invite you back.

yeah, bathing is certainly a concern, but i am sure i could use somebodys shower or if it came down to it - the YMCA.

i know living in a van is pretty (very) sleazy, but i would only do it for the summer (or til i decided to settle in and get $ for a a place).

girls would totally be bummed if they found out (no pun intended). but.. i'm not a slut magnet so im not worried. maybe theyd feel sorry for me.

i just want to do a ton of skating and experience a lot of things without being so tied down. it'd only be temporary for sure.

the shower isnt much of a problem, but gas is a larger one.

food is easy since there are food pantries all over america and at least one or two in each town or city

you should look into personal safety of yourself and the security of your van and its belongings inside.

try planning a linear path from one destination to the next and keep your objectives intact....i got lost in oklahoma because of this.

research each place you plan on going to for..shelters/temporary work agencies/communes if at all possible/ human resource centers/hospitals..ect..

i'd do a bit more detailed explanation..but i'm amost about to beat zombies ate my neighbors..

if anything head to a local book shop and check out books on vagabonding/world travel and such..

and dont read anything by rolf potts...he's a rich ass unconnected with real travel..

and a crust punk with a bottle of jack d is a friend indeed..

I've met people who work 40 hr/ week jobs that do this. With little or no responsibility it could be a blast.

For the girl aspect ... the truth of wandering could be a turn on for quite a few.

As for the skate spots I would start in San Diego and work up the state from there.

sk8 parks in So Cal

Locals at the parks can get you to the real spots.

Fuck start planning and get it done !!!! find a used van conversion.

DVC_floorplan.gif

YMCA memberships are actually kind of expensive, and not necessarily valid at all YMCA's. (i know this from experience). you can usually stop in and say that you're thinking about joining and ask for a day pass. sometimes they'll want to give you a tour, it takes about ten minutes then you're all set. lying day in and day out is kind of annoying though.

you can take showers at alot of bigger truck stops. cost you a couple bucks, but if you're so dirty that a washcloth and a sink aren't enough to do the trick, then it's handy. really though, you can stay pretty clean just by, well, being clean. change your clothes, wear deoderant, wash your armpits. get some 'baby wipes' for your ass and balls (wash the balls first, duh). once you get to cali, at most ocean beaches they have showers for washing off salt/sand.

pretty much, unless you're a beastly pig of a man, you should be fine with only showering every few days.

not that you're concerned, but any girl that's gonna fuck you is gonna be just as inclined to do it when she finds out you're on a big road trip, as she would be if you were some local jerk off with a shitty apartment.

sleeping in van's isn't that bad as long as you have windows that can be opened to let a breeze go through. even in cali, it gets cool enough at night usually. you won't be able to sleep in real late, but that's not a big deal.

i'd say go for it. road trips are the shit that you'll never forget, and that you always look back on fondly. even if shit goes horribly wrong and you're nearly mauled by a bear, after you're safe it's an awesome story for your kids.

I've done it in a car. A van woulda been alot sweeter cause you can throw down a matress and spread out alot easier. I would just find a somewhat clean creek and jump in with a bar of soap. I'm sure a lake or river would do. I even got pussy while I was doing it but then I was also around 19 or so and the 16 year old girls back then weren't as stuck-up as they are these days.

Be used to sleeping in your own sweat though. It get's hot as fuck sleeping in a car or a van.

Also hotel parking lots are a good spot to park for the night. Or apartments that don't have strict parking lots-->preferably under a large tree (for shade).

For all it's draw backs... It was the most freedom I've ever felt in my life (No hippie).

i worry about you jug..

on a side note..

zombies ate my neighbors has got to be a game with the most anticlimatic ending in the friggen world..disapointed....such a good game too..

beach and lake cities should have those wash stalls near by the sanded areas as well for wash

essential things are.

flashlight

enough assorted batteries to last at least 5 months

two first aid kits

portable hot plate

glowsticks...blue/red/and green

some sort of mosquito repellent....and bug spray

extra gallon of water for the car

emergancy cell phone

gasoline can...if you can put gas in it if you have a plase to put it

bare minimum car tools or more if you are car knowledgable

journey log...a planner should work/ it helps with directions/landmarks/and girls numbers

a good winter jacket..if you plan on crossing desert or high altitudes

gloves

small bag of cat litter

as much music as you can possibly bring

pad locks/chains

some sort of defensive weapon/ pepper spray,mourning star whatever suits you ..just nothing used for offensive

a cooler/minifridge

-----------------------can opener---

plastic and metal utinsils

one of those mini fog horn thingies

binaculars

chapstick

k.y if you get lonely

a list of hotels in each area

emergency contact number..wich should be in you glove box and in your wallet