Liquitex Spray Paint

5amshift

I posted this in the Massachusetts topic, but felt like it needed it's own..

New paint?

img0520wk.jpg

img0521rr.jpg

img0522fg.jpg

img0523yo.jpg

At $11.99 with the usual 40-50% off coupons every other week at Michael's/Aaron Brothers, I may bite for a can to try it out. Different cap pack also under their own Liquitex name. Seems like low pressure with some alright colors.

Trailer here:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just like everything else that's over priced at michael's, it'll be on sale for half off in 6 months and then i'll be there to buy up most of the stock without feeling like an asshat for spending twice as much on this shit as a can of 94 costs. liquitex obviously did not do their homework on the spray paint market and are more than likely gonna end up paying for it. that said, i might print off a 40% off coupon and buy a can to see if it sucks or not.

liquitex obviously did not do their homework on the spray paint market and are more than likely gonna end up paying for it.

So true

I was in there today and picked up a can of "phthalocyanine green" (looks like sabotaz "patina green"). Used a 40% off coupon on my phone, still was almost $9.00 after tax. The paint is fucking garbage, saggy, runny, it separates on the wall (think painters touch "berry pink") and does not play well with others. I tried it over and under several different brands (sabotaz, evolve, ironlak, mtn hardcore, molotow premium, stops rust and OSH), I didn't expect it to work well with Rusto or OSH, but the clashing with the acrylic formulas surprised me a bit. Then to top it all off the valve stutters/sputters with every cap I tried except the ny fat.

So, it may just be this color is trash and other colors are alrite, but I doubt it, as for the valve that is just inexcusable on a can in this price range.

Edit: Pressure is medium-high, there is literally no odor at all, and drying time is about 20 min.

• Like 1

So true

I was in there today and picked up a can of "phthalocyanine green" (looks like sabotaz "patina green"). Used a 40% off coupon on my phone, still was almost $9.00 after tax. The paint is fucking garbage, saggy, runny, it separates on the wall (think painters touch "berry pink") and does not play well with others. I tried it over and under several different brands (sabotaz, evolve, ironlak, mtn hardcore, molotow premium, stops rust and OSH), I didn't expect it to work well with Rusto or OSH, but the clashing with the acrylic formulas surprised me a bit. Then to top it all off the valve stutters/sputters with every cap I tried except the ny fat.

So, it may just be this color is trash and other colors are alrite, but I doubt it, as for the valve that is just inexcusable on a can in this price range.

Edit: Pressure is medium-high, there is literally no odor at all, and drying time is about 20 min.

how it smells?

• 4 weeks later...

I tested these paints out before release. I realized the entire & 100% objective for the manufacturers was to produce a durable/lightfast/permanent acrylic paint in aerosol form - about 80% of the pigments used are based on centuries old sources, i.e. pigments for pro range oil paints. It's intended to mix with tube based acrylic paint (not Montana etc)

They are aimed mainly at the the more fine art community or people that are interested in producing something that will last...a long time. Montana for example guarantee ten years, wtf!?

I have no affinity with the manufacturers in question at all and doubt I would paint with these cans outside. However, I do like the idea of my canvas work, that people pay for with their hard earned cash, to be covered by something that is durable.

You defo get what you pay for when it comes to art materials...

If it's not aimed a writers, then who is it's target consumer? It looks just like all the other brands aimed at writers, and you are selling caps right along side it. So we must assume that we are the target consumer. Your marketing video clearly is attempting to portray it as an artist quality spray paint to be used for "aerosol art". The finished product falls miserably short. The fact remains that it won't hold a line, it's dusty, the valve sputters, and it separates on the wall/canvas. So go hawk that snake oil somewhere else you fucking spambot.

from hearing the reviews in here it doesn't seem worth the hassle. it wouldn't matter if that was the king of all paints with the best color selection available, i don't think you can justify a price like that. MTN is about half the cost and has proven itself to be of high quality, so i don't see how liquitex can compete with them or molotow/sabotaz etc. i suggest they drop that price by half if they want to continue to be marketable, even richy rich type fools would probably be hesitant to touch this shit at that price.

its just not doable from a writers standpoint or a fine art standpoint imo. who is going to pay out the ass for spray paint?