Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Linux Operating System

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by thetrooper, Feb 23, 2004.

1. thetrooper

thetrooper Member

Anyone of you out there use linux????
    If you do the what are the pros and cons about it?
    How does it compare to windows??

Also I've heard there may be problems using a cable modem with Linux, is this true?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bye

2. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

there are different 'types' of linux for various needs.
    obviously you dont need a high end server set up,
    and something like lindows would be good for you.
    It's actually streamlined for web applications, so
    I'm sure you can get that cable modem hooked up easy.

http://www.lindows.com/
    http://www.gnu.org/
    http://www.redhat.com/

^ do some reading there then come back

3. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

all i know is that you can run lindows without a hard drive

4. thetrooper

thetrooper Member

RedHat Linux
    I'll do some more reading on it, it's my younger brother who is goign to be doing it all. I'm just interested in it now.
    thanks Kilo I'll check those links.

5. imported_dowmagik

imported_dowmagik Senior Member

ive been using slackware linux off-and-on for almost 7 years and recommend it. if you want to run linux i recommend buying a book (my first was linux for dummies), reading it, then install. make sure the kernal you use will support all the hardware you have too. if you have no experience using a command line you might not like it very much, but youll get the hang of it. a lot of people are intimidated by linux, but all in all i havnt found it any "harder" than windows.

6. LaCosaNostra

LaCosaNostra Senior Member

i was considering switching over, but its a bitch....im sure you could find all these commads online and shit but you have to write a command for everything; such as your computer/ linux reconizing that you have a keyboard plugged in, a mouse etc. i imagine it would get quite tedious:eek:

7. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

i like the linux shell fore interacting with your computer and I found a ersion of it online to use with windows. www.litestep.com if anyone is intersted in it.

But I am just too lazy to do the full switch over and set things up so I stick with windows and just interact with it as if it were linux

8. Seffiks

Seffiks Veteran Member

Use the search feature people

9. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

wow mainter, this was more annoying than a repeat thread.