Linux,,,now what

OMARNYCAKASW1

OK, got the full Suse Linux 7.2 on an extra computer,,

its goddamed confusin if your used to Window$

just like Redhat3 i couldnt figure out how to shutdown

if i logout i goes back to the login

in redhat u coulnt get the gui working on a 166mhz/64mb/1.9GB

but was able to get the gui working in Suse on 73mhz/128mb/15GB

in redhat ctrl/alt/del shuts down all the processes after logout but it would just go to rebooting....

in suse you can logout but it goes to the graphic login screen,

ctrl/alt/del just starts the reboot, if i turn it off it forces this linux verison

of the scandisk, i forgot what its called exactly but it runs thru the drive with a % progress....

anybody know how and where to configure the firewall in linux??

any suggestions or ideas from linux geeks?

http://www.omarnyc.homestead.com/files/omardesk.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by OMARNYCAKASW1

just like Redhat3 i couldnt figure out how to shutdown

if i logout i goes back to the login

in

thats just how unix based systems work, if you login as say root or whatever and get to the prompt youre in the basic command line shell before you load up the pretty looking window manager.

i havent fucked with that shit in years (i ran slack with the 2.0.30 kernal heh...redhat 5.2...etc)...so im a little rusty.

Originally posted by metallix

hahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha linux fucken sucks

i've installed it 3-4 times and everytime i ended up reformatting and installing windows. it just really really fucken sucks...

Same with me instead in my case, i try to be geeky without BEING geeky. So i rock windows and AIM.

fuck-a-penguin

lindows is on the market?

i thought ms was holding it up in court.

how is it kilo? i was rather interested in it once i heard about it.

i hear you can get a new lindows based system for like 1/3 the cost of a windows based system.

Whoa. Linux is crazy. I tired to work with it once and I just couldn’t get it. I’m so conditioned to work with widows its ridiculous. Although I do hear that linux is easier to use. It’s just different from what we are used to.

look

the Lindows OS is about $60

and it come on computers that are incredibly inexpensive.

like this for $300

http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/SKUimages/medium/H27-F100Pmain.jpg'>

AMD® Athlon 1700+ Processor*

128MB PC133 SDRAM Memory Learn More

20GB Hard Drive

48x CDROM Drive

3.5" (1.44MB) Floppy Disk Drive

56K Fax/Modem

32MB ProSavageDDR Onboard Video

Premium AC '97 Integrated Sound Learn More

10/100 Base-T Fast Ethernet

Lindows 3.0 Operating System Learn More

PS/2 Keyboard And Mouse

Monitor Sold Separately

actually the reason people use linux is because it's a lot more stable than windows (which is the reason osx is based on a linux kernal).

my boy can play mp3s, chat on aim and irc and surf on a p133 that he got for 25 bucks (with a monitor) because he does it through linux command lines (it'd crash w/ xwin).

thanks,,it does seem to be more trouble than its worth,

its not a problem having a KVM switch, Hi Speed, a main server and Router...

as for the 'BOX' its a perfectly good 800mhz computer someone decided to throw away,,,if you live in nyc too many people throw out perfectly good computers..computers and TV's are always sitting out at the curb

i got a drawer full of simms,dimms, CPU's, and a stack of HD's with win3, 95,98, xp, unix, and dos,,all working and full of dumb hack novels, poetry and stoopid jpg's...

this weekend i actually got one of these running DOS for $3 at a stoop sale

http://www.members.cox.net/obsoletetechnology/pics/compaqiii.jpg'>

Compaq Portable III

Model: 2660

Released: 1987

Price: US $4,999.00 w/ 20meg HD

US $5,799.00 w/ 40meg HD

Weight: 20 pounds.

CPU: Intel 80286, 12MHz

RAM: 640k, 2048k max.

Storage: 20 Meg hard drive

1.2Meg 5-1/4 inch floppy

Expansion: Optional external expansion

Display: 10" gas plasma screen

640 X 400 resolution

80 X 25 text

Ports: parallel, serial, CGA video

Originally posted by When

why is lindows not a good os?

It's not that it's not good. The whole idea behind linux is a "roll your own" operating system. Lindows seems to be an OS aimed at those that don't know much about linux but want to try it. The fact of the matter is, you won't know much about the OS unless you go through the task of installing it. That *and* linux is supposed to be an open source *free* operating system. Lindows costs money.

look here www.linuxiso.org

to shutdown, pull up your terminal app and type:

shutdown now

If you want to restart use the restart flag(-r):

shutdown -r now

Fuck the gui, what makes linux cool is the actual system, not it's underdeveloped user interface. For that go get yourself a mac and throw OS X 10.2+ on it.

Originally posted by Vanity

actually the reason people use linux is because it's a lot more stable than windows (which is the reason osx is based on a linux kernal).

my boy can play mp3s, chat on aim and irc and surf on a p133 that he got for 25 bucks (with a monitor) because he does it through linux command lines (it'd crash w/ xwin).

Not exactly. The core of OSX is Darwin, a hardy subsystem based of FreeBSD Unix. Also Linux doesnt have a command line per say. Rather it includes an assoretment of (generally opensourced) shells that allow you to manipulate the kernal directly. The default shell varioes accross distribtuions, but generally pulls up Korn, Bourne or Bourne Again shells. Either way, you can install more shells, switch them, or just use whatever's there considering shells share most of their basic commands, and most differences are only relevant when programming shell commands.

Archived