Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

let's talk about: spirituality

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Feb 25, 2004.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

"god is a concept, by which we measure our pain" -john lennon

what do you think about? what is god to you?

my feelings are that god is everything and everyone. god doesn't point his finger down at you and get mad every time you fuck up. i don't think god is conscious like that. after all, the bible says that god forgives all, we only need ask for it. to me, that means that we need to ask ourselves forgiveness and move on...always learning from our mistakes and choices.

it's not so far fetched to think that if god created us in "his" own image, that we would end up like this, water and carbon, etc...we are the "perfect" mixture of all things that build up the universe. we are the oneness and the seperate. all unique, all the same. it's like a paradox, i suppose.

i sometimes overanalyze what it is to be human, a part of this world, universe, etc. but i'm slowly learning to accept it, not question it, and be happy.

so, tell me what you think about when you consider "god" and what you are. if not "god," then what? what is it to be spiritual in your eyes? any practices? my personal favorite spiritual practice is smoking salvinorin a extract (10x), which is not illegal in the states, only australia...for some reason. i've learned alot from "her"....meditation is another favorite now.

well, just wanted to get his thread started in hopes of sparking a good conversation.

2. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

i think there is some sort of connection between all living beings, the whole circle of life thing, but i don't believe in any sort of god. i feel it is more of a cop out to say that the world was made by this dude and we all owe him one than to just state that the human race is a statistical probability played out over infinity and one day we'll all be worm food.

hey, we all knew i was jaded.

3. MANIK DEK

MANIK DEK Member

i dont know what to say..............

4. caL

caL Senior Member

i belive in god, i pray every morning and when i go to bed.
    im catholic but i think of it just as a guide to my personal religion,
    its kinda like building something but not reading all the instructions,
    if that makes sense. :smiles:

5. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

hmm, like i said, i think god is all that we are and see, not an entity that rewards you for living a good life. that reward is in life itself...ya dig?

6. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

I believe in an a highly merciful God.

I also beleive that there is no right or wrong within most religions. (except the really weird church of scientology and shit) i think that life has many different paths to the same thing, and as long as it's filled with learning and positivity then no path can be wrong.

i really dont think you have to go to church to be "saved" (as christians say)... as long as you live a positive life/do good deeds/practice your beliefs, things similar to those, i think that's the basic essentials. now some people like to further their "worship" and help keep their faith strong, and they do this through church, which is perfectly wonderful too.

ever time shit gets hard, i start thinking stupid dumb fuck thoughts about god and my religion, like "oh F ck God, he hates me, there no such thing as all this bible crap" then I realize, FUCK, what am i saying-- its only my mind growing weak, and i'll pray for strength/read some bible/go the church, and it helps to..... "re-charge" my faith. also i enjoy because i learn alot of things about life and my self.

i do though consider myself to be a lil bit more spiritual than religious.
    even if the world had no religion, i'd still keep a spiritual faith and would believe there was a much higher/stronger energy out there that is God-like. )which is duh, God.)

I also believe in aliens... that there is no end to a rainbow, and no, there is no pot of gold.

7. MANIK DEK

MANIK DEK Member

i believe in god and i believe that we go to heaven if we are decent and if were bad i think we get one chance back on earth but if we dont make good of that chance then hell

8. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

^ AMEN.

9. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

hmmm...there are days when i just wanna die, tired of living and dealing with people. not that my life was ever hard to begin with, but sometimes i just wanna off myself.

but i'm too afraid to do it, bcuz i've been raised to believe that an eternal damnation truly does exists...and that you will end up there if you kill yourself.

i was raised catholic, turned christian. but i respect all forms of religion/spirituality, because it means that no matter what you believe in, you believe in something/someone that is beyond our level.

10. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

who was it that said, "if there was no religion, man would have to create one"?

11. eseLokE1uno

eseLokE1uno Senior Member

12. anonymity1

anonymity1 Senior Member

Religion does not have to be a system of worship of a transcendent being. There are plenty of people with spiritual concerns who do not recognize anything as transcendent. They may find their spiritual meaning in nature or relationships with others. And I dont think it is right to knock any religion without going into the lives of those that find the religion important.

13. anonymity1

anonymity1 Senior Member

You have never gotten a straight answer because there is no answer. The only fact is that they are dead. Its up to yourself to make the call on whether or not you believe in an afterlife or karma.

14. anonymity1

anonymity1 Senior Member

I dont understand what you are saying. Who said anything about only humans having souls???????????? In some religions they believe ancestors souls are in the bodies of animals, so they refuse to eat meat.

15. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Knocking the major religions is so easy for me, but there's only so much time in the day so I'll keep my input positive.
    I wish I could find a link to the article, it was in Discover magazine, which is an excellent science-for-laymen mag of decent depth. Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan, said some very succinct things that I could not have said better myself. The short version is that any kind of "faith" is unnecessary, and that the major religions jump to conclusions about life and our origins. They also think they have a monopoly on spirituality. Druyan's take is that science itself has a strong spiritual component: you are attempting to discover, using your five senses and the tools and intelligence of everyone who has come before you in this quest, who we are and where we come from and why we're here. There's plenty of spirituality in walking up a wooded hill at midnight and looking at the stars and feeling small but alive. There's plenty of spirituality in studying chemistry and biology and physics in a better attempt to understand humanity and the universe, even if you can't expect to get all the answers in your lifetime. And here's her other observation: science is purer than any religious dogma, because you receive the highest awards for DISPROVING what everybody used to think. That is real progress, versus the obstinate, unchanging Scripture (or whatever dogma) which keeps running into problems with needing to be updated.
    Furthermore - and this is my own idea - a lot of religions preach humility, yet claim to know all the answers, and discriminate against and go to war with rival factions. How is that humble? Real humility is dedicating your life to scientific discovery knowing at best you'll make a drop in the bucket's worth of knowledge contribution to the ongoing quest.
    You don't need to study history, psychology, and human behavior very long to come up with strong evidence that humans are imperfect, confused, and neurotic beings who invented god and all his trappings to counter their terrible fear of the unknown. Rather than cling to a fabricated story, why not try to find the answers yourself? That is the spirituality of science.