let's talk about: spirituality

casekonly

"god is a concept, by which we measure our pain" -john lennon

what do you think about? what is god to you?

my feelings are that god is everything and everyone. god doesn't point his finger down at you and get mad every time you fuck up. i don't think god is conscious like that. after all, the bible says that god forgives all, we only need ask for it. to me, that means that we need to ask ourselves forgiveness and move on...always learning from our mistakes and choices.

it's not so far fetched to think that if god created us in "his" own image, that we would end up like this, water and carbon, etc...we are the "perfect" mixture of all things that build up the universe. we are the oneness and the seperate. all unique, all the same. it's like a paradox, i suppose.

i sometimes overanalyze what it is to be human, a part of this world, universe, etc. but i'm slowly learning to accept it, not question it, and be happy.

so, tell me what you think about when you consider "god" and what you are. if not "god," then what? what is it to be spiritual in your eyes? any practices? my personal favorite spiritual practice is smoking salvinorin a extract (10x), which is not illegal in the states, only australia...for some reason. i've learned alot from "her"....meditation is another favorite now.

well, just wanted to get his thread started in hopes of sparking a good conversation.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i think there is some sort of connection between all living beings, the whole circle of life thing, but i don't believe in any sort of god. i feel it is more of a cop out to say that the world was made by this dude and we all owe him one than to just state that the human race is a statistical probability played out over infinity and one day we'll all be worm food.

hey, we all knew i was jaded.

i belive in god, i pray every morning and when i go to bed.

im catholic but i think of it just as a guide to my personal religion,

its kinda like building something but not reading all the instructions,

if that makes sense. :smiles:

I believe in an a highly merciful God.

I also beleive that there is no right or wrong within most religions. (except the really weird church of scientology and shit) i think that life has many different paths to the same thing, and as long as it's filled with learning and positivity then no path can be wrong.

i really dont think you have to go to church to be "saved" (as christians say)... as long as you live a positive life/do good deeds/practice your beliefs, things similar to those, i think that's the basic essentials. now some people like to further their "worship" and help keep their faith strong, and they do this through church, which is perfectly wonderful too.

ever time shit gets hard, i start thinking stupid dumb fuck thoughts about god and my religion, like "oh F ck God, he hates me, there no such thing as all this bible crap" then I realize, FUCK, what am i saying-- its only my mind growing weak, and i'll pray for strength/read some bible/go the church, and it helps to..... "re-charge" my faith. also i enjoy because i learn alot of things about life and my self.

i do though consider myself to be a lil bit more spiritual than religious.

even if the world had no religion, i'd still keep a spiritual faith and would believe there was a much higher/stronger energy out there that is God-like. )which is duh, God.)

I also believe in aliens... that there is no end to a rainbow, and no, there is no pot of gold.

hmmm...there are days when i just wanna die, tired of living and dealing with people. not that my life was ever hard to begin with, but sometimes i just wanna off myself.

but i'm too afraid to do it, bcuz i've been raised to believe that an eternal damnation truly does exists...and that you will end up there if you kill yourself.

i was raised catholic, turned christian. but i respect all forms of religion/spirituality, because it means that no matter what you believe in, you believe in something/someone that is beyond our level.

Religion does not have to be a system of worship of a transcendent being. There are plenty of people with spiritual concerns who do not recognize anything as transcendent. They may find their spiritual meaning in nature or relationships with others. And I dont think it is right to knock any religion without going into the lives of those that find the religion important.

Knocking the major religions is so easy for me, but there's only so much time in the day so I'll keep my input positive.

I wish I could find a link to the article, it was in Discover magazine, which is an excellent science-for-laymen mag of decent depth. Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan, said some very succinct things that I could not have said better myself. The short version is that any kind of "faith" is unnecessary, and that the major religions jump to conclusions about life and our origins. They also think they have a monopoly on spirituality. Druyan's take is that science itself has a strong spiritual component: you are attempting to discover, using your five senses and the tools and intelligence of everyone who has come before you in this quest, who we are and where we come from and why we're here. There's plenty of spirituality in walking up a wooded hill at midnight and looking at the stars and feeling small but alive. There's plenty of spirituality in studying chemistry and biology and physics in a better attempt to understand humanity and the universe, even if you can't expect to get all the answers in your lifetime. And here's her other observation: science is purer than any religious dogma, because you receive the highest awards for DISPROVING what everybody used to think. That is real progress, versus the obstinate, unchanging Scripture (or whatever dogma) which keeps running into problems with needing to be updated.

Furthermore - and this is my own idea - a lot of religions preach humility, yet claim to know all the answers, and discriminate against and go to war with rival factions. How is that humble? Real humility is dedicating your life to scientific discovery knowing at best you'll make a drop in the bucket's worth of knowledge contribution to the ongoing quest.

You don't need to study history, psychology, and human behavior very long to come up with strong evidence that humans are imperfect, confused, and neurotic beings who invented god and all his trappings to counter their terrible fear of the unknown. Rather than cling to a fabricated story, why not try to find the answers yourself? That is the spirituality of science.

cilone, i beleive every animal has a soul. however my fiance doesn't. he is christian and thinks dogs don't have souls. i dont understand why, but i in my heart believe that they are one of the most wonderful animals and don't know why God woulden't let them have a soul.

and Tease, when you said that peoples beleifs run their lives.. well thats what a belief is supposed to do. i know it can get out of hand when people get too strict on themselves (like ned flanders in the simpsons) but alot of peoples beliefs are made as a guideline as to making decisions in their daily lives.

good: mike wants to kill john. but her remembers that murder is a horrible sin and instead forgives john of whatever wrong doing john did. in this situation mike remembered what "God has taught him" and that is that killing=bad.

Bad: mary is at the store... her son matt who is 13 wants to buy a pack of gum with a cartoon devil on the front. mary forbids matt to even touch that pack of gum saying "THAT IS SATANS GUM!" and goes home and spanks matt and makes him say 10 hail marys. thats sad.

cracked, i only skimmed through what you wrote (sorry im in a hurry but ill come back to it)

but i noticed alot of science in your answer. people are torn between science and spirituality. yes there is a scientific explination to alot of things, but not to completely everything, and that everything is i guess what the religious person would define as "miracles" "angels" "spirits" and etc.

i don't think science ever will have an explination for everything. i think (being spiritual/religious) there is a higher being that made some of the things in life-- not to be understood now, but to be given the answer in.. yes.. an afterlife.

I do think that scientists are wonderful-- and that i guess they were put here on earth to answer many of our questions, many of them, but not all. but i also think that if there weren't for scientists alot of spiritualists would come to conclusions themselves : the plants are green because god has green hair. things like that. but luckily enough we have smart humans who discover answers for a living so that we can get atleast that much of truth. like cloraphyll and shit.

i know my veiws will piss some people off or i'll come off as "dumb, and ignorant" for believing in what i do.... but we all have our opinon, and all we can do is respect them.

i also believe is co-existance though. science+spirituality, God+Dinosaurs.

It's hard to explain really. i dont think im explaining well.

Oh and tease, about all the drugs, war, hate and shit like that.. there is is also the devil around. dont forgot that....there can't be one without the other. not on earth. definately not on earth, and not anytime soon with all this bullshit around. the earth is a mere battleground where satan is poisining us day to day, with temptation and war-- and getting minds to corrupt... and blah blah blah.

i know it all sounds storyland-ish.

"the greatest trick the devil ever did was to get us in thinking he doesn't exsist"

or some shit like that.

Oh and tease, about all the drugs, war, hate and shit like that.. there is is also the devil around. dont forgot that....there can't be one without the other. not on earth. definately not on earth, and not anytime soon with all this bullshit around. the earth is a mere battleground where satan is poisining us day to day, with temptation and war-- and getting minds to corrupt... and blah blah blah.

i know it all sounds storyland-ish.

"the greatest trick the devil ever did was to get us in thinking he doesn't exsist"

or some shit like that.

Originally posted by 0scarmire

Theres no god if there was everything would go to heaven cause god created everything like trees,dogs,cats grass water i mean do you really think all of that goes through god and it doesn't mention that in the bible so think bout it

Please jump up to fourth grade level and learn how to write a fucking sentence.

Originally posted by E MARTYR

if youre stupid enough to have to rely on "what god has taught you" in order not to kill someone, that's pretty sad.

its called understanding the difference between "right and wrong".

and i think anyone who goes to church every weekend is devoting to much time to their beliefs. You can pray from anywhere, you dont HAVE to be in church. On top of that, those people who are hardcore into church are the biggest hypocrites in the world. Judgemental mother fuckers. I think half those people go to supposively "wash their hands" of all the shit they are doing wrong... which, if you were being a good [whatever religion you are] you wouldnt be sinning that much to begin with.

/fuck going to church.

tease I totattly agree with you. church is a place for learning, and a place to strengthen your faith, not to wash your hands clean of anything. i was taught that we arent like cars & a carwash. go to church, get clean... outta church, get dirty. go to church again.. that shit is very rediculous. people need to learn that thats not the REASON TO GO TO CHURCH. and yeah, religous people can be GREAT hypocrites, and its sad. and YES, you can pray from where ever you want, like i said earlier.

tease, i can tell that you do believe in something of a higher being.:) its in the back of your mind maybe... but you're still skeptical.

dee38/psychic sylvia brown. lol:lol:

alrite enough of this shit i was supposed to pick up my son 15 minutes ago.... :(

Originally posted by E MARTYR

if youre stupid enough to have to rely on "what god has taught you" in order not to kill someone, that's pretty sad.

its called understanding the difference between "right and wrong".

and i think anyone who goes to church every weekend is devoting to much time to their beliefs. You can pray from anywhere, you dont HAVE to be in church. On top of that, those people who are hardcore into church are the biggest hypocrites in the world. Judgemental mother fuckers. I think half those people go to supposively "wash their hands" of all the shit they are doing wrong... which, if you were being a good [whatever religion you are] you wouldnt be sinning that much to begin with.

/fuck going to church.

tease I totattly agree with you. church is a place for learning, and a place to strengthen your faith, not to wash your hands clean of anything. i was taught that we arent like cars & a carwash. go to church, get clean... outta church, get dirty. go to church again.. that shit is very rediculous. people need to learn that thats not the REASON TO GO TO CHURCH. and yeah, religous people can be GREAT hypocrites, and its sad. and YES, you can pray from where ever you want, like i said earlier.

tease, i can tell that you do believe in something of a higher being.:) its in the back of your mind maybe... but you're still skeptical.

dee38/psychic sylvia brown. lol:lol:

alrite enough of this shit i was supposed to pick up my son 15 minutes ago.... :(

Originally posted by DEE38

:lol: Humans are dumb, gullible, angry, vengeful, etc...the devil is merely the personification of this.

I don't think we're here because of God..I think we're because of a bunch of random events in space, then our general area, then our solar system, then Earth.

I don't really like talking about this shit though, I just like to read what others have to say, ponder it, and maybe through my 2 cents into the collective pond. I figure this is somewhat similar for everyone else, so the more change in the pond the more we can all ponder :lol:

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

I agree totally. That is why I try and understand why some people think humans are so above everything else. Alot of people believe that.

It's called comprehension.

Plants stand there and soak up sun.

Animals run around eating and mating (instincts).

Humans are constantly analyzing every aspect of their existance, as well as where they came from, and furthermore why are they here...

That's why...now I need to go get lunch.

Archived