lets say you wanted to cut a can of spray paint in half....

boogie hands

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have gotten into the habit of collecting the mixing balls out of my paint...take an empty can of paint and using the valve let as much of the areosol out as you can.

then I would take small nail and use a hammer to make a SMALL puncture hole in the side of the can, don't stick the nail all the way in just enough of the point to make a hole...you should hear more gas come out.

after hat its basically the same as an empty can of soda other than the fact that there will still be a bit if residual paint in it. you should expect this paint to drip out as you cut it so don;t use it in your nice ikea furnished home.

If you just want to get inside, to dismantle the valve system and see how it operates, lower tech means also work. I got my first can open by letting out all the gas and then punching triangular holes all the way along the sidewall where it met the rim, using one of those can openers with the triangle puncher. There's usually about a teaspoon of paint dribbling around inside even after the gas is gone, so avoid the Oriental rug and other stain-sensitive areas as a place to try it.

ive always found it easier to just hold the nozzle till it stops letting gas out. then hold it some more because it always takes longer than youd think. i always put the nail where the cap goes rather than in the side because its less dangerous (there is already a vent here) if there is gas left. then you take your tool of choice to do the rest.

low tech, hold in the cap and smash it on a corner to make a crease, then fold it back and forth until it opens, watch for sharp edges...

high tech, punch a hole in the side with a small nail and use a dremel circular cutting bit...

the pressure release isn't really a big deal unless you're near a spark or open flame, otherwise it's relatively harmless...

Archived