1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Let's Play Name That Artist

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by mellowmike, Oct 18, 2004.

1. mellowmike

mellowmike New Jack

Let's Play Name That Artist

Discussion started by mellowmike - Oct 18, 2004

I photographed the actual car below - and replicated it as a model - but was wondering who the incredible artist was. I don't see many whole cars with this much time put into them!

http://www.mellowmike.com/FR8_Cars/MP_Real_Car.html

I also had a silly question. I see most flicks have the car road number censored out. I presume this is to keep the photo from being evidence.

When I model a real car - I try to keep it authentic and leave the numbers on. It kinda goes against the code - but I can't very well do a replica with blurred-out numbers! And I can't leave them off. I could possibly change the last digit or two. But is that crucial...?

Thoughts?

MM

mellowmike - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. HATEBREEDER

HATEBREEDER 12oz Member

HATEBREEDER - Replied Oct 18, 2004

NEKST

HATEBREEDER - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. lepthebeard

lepthebeard 12oz Elite Member

lepthebeard - Replied Oct 18, 2004

...wow...
    ...checked out your entire site, you put in alot of work on yer cars...unbeleivable detail!...amazing!...

...are these one off's?...i'd be pissed if you were selling one of my cars and profitting from my works and risks...no hate just curious...

lepthebeard - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. Ident

Ident 12oz Member

Ident - Replied Oct 18, 2004

Outstanding work... Wow

Ident - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

iloveboxcars - Replied Oct 18, 2004

that is awesome.

you should make a thread for yourself (i suppose here or metal heads would be the best choice) of your re-created cars.

and to lep^ .. i wouldnt mind really, i mean, look at the time he put into it, it isn't really your shit that would be the main focus, this guy goes all out with the tags and everything. it's a beautiful thing and wouldnt mind my stuff being on one and him making money off it.

iloveboxcars - Rank: 12oz Royalty - Messages:
  6. ghostvandal

ghostvandal 12oz Senior Member

ghostvandal - Replied Oct 18, 2004

yo mike..sick work man! unreal! honnestly i dont think it matters at that point about the numbers..the stuff you do replics of are mostly really old and I doubt a scale model could be used as an evidence..
    I'd be so stoaked to see one of my pieces on one of your scale models..maybe one day! I'll keep checking your site periodically. keep doing you thing and good luck in hollywood!

ghostvandal - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. HATEBREEDER

HATEBREEDER 12oz Member

HATEBREEDER - Replied Oct 18, 2004

that shit is very realistic.

please dont put two writers work on the same train that didnt paint together...you know keep it how you saw it.

HATEBREEDER - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. mellowmike

mellowmike New Jack

mellowmike - Replied Oct 18, 2004

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I'm still learning as I go... so I am sure there are some cars I've modeled that don't jive. It's difficult to do an actual car if I can't see both sides in real life. I pull a lot of the streaks off the Net, but I do photograph many locally. About 90% of the regular graffiti is what I have photographed on cars. Once in a while - I pull some art off one of the railfan sites. I don't really use graffiti site pics.

As for profiting from the work of others - a sizeable chunk goes right back into purchasing the models and supplies like ink and paint. I'm hardly making good chink off the graffiti cars. Believe it or not, most model railroaders with $$$ are older fellows (and sometimes retired RR employees) who frown on tagging. The realism I achieve is lost on these guys, and they turn their nose at me and my cars in person.

You guys do most of the work, obviously, but I do have to scout around to find cars sitting still. I have to photograph them up close at high resolution - so most of the time I am on RR property and arouse suspicion!

When it comes to mixing one guy's work with another's - I do that just to get some cars up with enough quality art on them. If the whole side of a real car has three pieces that look colorful and reproduceable - I will leave it as a unit. But that's rare.

Back to the "borrowing" of an artist's work... I have wondered about the commercial decal manufacturers (there are 3 I know of) selling graffiti decals to modelers. Much of it is real stuff... not pretend. That would be more of an infringement than what I am doing by making a one-off car. I look at it as sort of a tribute to the artist.

There are a few guys who try to hand-paint what they see on a real car onto a small model. That's when stuff gets altered or interpreted in my opinion. Mine is a photograph shrunken down. So it's the artist's work generally unmolested.

9. Pfffffffffft

Pfffffffffft Moderator Crew

Pfffffffffft - Replied Oct 18, 2004

mike,

your work is great..
    just curious what inspired you to get into this??

the more time you spend at the yard, the more quality pieces you will see..

good luck and post more stuff =)

Pfffffffffft - Rank: Moderator Crew - Messages:
  10. Cracksmoka

Cracksmoka 12oz Elite Member

Cracksmoka - Replied Oct 18, 2004

that shit is ill(your models).. that shit is also "NEXT A2M" only its "nekst"... also hella ill...

Cracksmoka - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. fr8otech

fr8otech 12oz Senior Member

fr8otech - Replied Oct 18, 2004

I got something running in your collection....

but of all things, I can't understand:

a) Why that one
    b) where would you have seen that one in particular
    c) why put it on such a vastly different car

straight up though, those are hands down the best models I've ever seen, and you're ability to replicate the actuall proper styles of the writers in refreshing.

please email me at Fr8otech@hotmail.com

fr8otech - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel 12oz Veteran Member

InnerCityRebel - Replied Oct 18, 2004

i saw your site awhile back and i was blown away at the detail.Nice work Mike,

InnerCityRebel - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  13. porque

porque 12oz Senior Member

porque - Replied Oct 18, 2004

...wow man...keep it up...you migh be getting frowned upon by some of the collectors with money now...but i know a lot of railfans and more of the younger ones are more down with grafitti, especially when it's pulled off proper and shows respect to the car...i would think that if you keep puttin in work like this than eventually it's going to pay off...and something you might not have even considered is that a lot of us writers do pretty well financially, those of us that are older...you may have a market right there...

...i don't think that what you're doing is in anyway a violation of the work of the artist...we don't own the trains...in my opinion, once a piece leaves the yard it's not mine anymore...i just put it out there, whatever happens after that isn't up to me...

...and if your having a hard time getting flicks you should talk to people about trades...i'm sure some people might be down...

porque - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. JONSON32

JONSON32 12oz Junior Member

JONSON32 - Replied Oct 18, 2004

your technique is magnificent!!!!!!!

JONSON32 - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  15. mellowmike

mellowmike New Jack

mellowmike - Replied Oct 18, 2004

I dunno. I have always been a train geek I guess. A few years ago I bought some of the retail graffiti decals to spice up some of my freights. But when I looked at real trains - I thought "Some of that stuff looks better than what I'm using".

I hang out at the local swap meets and RR shows. All I see are club guys running model trains straight off the shelf. You know... "Notice what I bought... and how new it is". So one show, I brought some early examples of my work (Before I got better at it) and asked if I could run them around their layout for a bit. Usually they will say "No". They let me... and soon there was a small crowd of spectators around the layout. Parents and kids were going "Wow! Look at those cars with the realistic graffiti on them! Just like we see at the RR crossings, honey!!!"

Naturally the club guys were envious, and said "Time's up". Folks were snapping photos or shooting video of my train. I felt kinda special. It's what I see in real life - and the crowd agreed with me.

Soon I started photographing real FR8's for like a scrapbook... and then began making my own versions instead of buying decals from the store (that looked cheesy to me). My goal was to make a model look like it was a shrunken down real car. Instead of just a toy.

MM