Let's Hope Teen Vogue Is Right (my gay post of the day/teach kids style)

Weapon X

March 08, 2004

Preteen Temptresses

Fashion is abandoning the vixen; with luck our daughters will too

PATRICIA PEARSON

YOU WILL be glad to learn that a backlash is impending in the fashion industry against absurdly revealing clothes. The trashy sexpot look -- obediently adopted by 12-year-old girls everywhere, much to their parents' dismay -- is suddenly tout fini. The spring fashion shows this year feature blouses that are actually buttoned up, how shocking, and skirts that are longer than the wearer's underpants. Some even hang to the knees.

Amy Astley, the editor of Teen Vogue, trumpets this new look in the March issue of her magazine. "Are you sick of watching nearly naked girls grinding next to fully dressed guys on MTV?" she asks in a letter from the editor. "Of movie stars and singers dressed as if they moonlight as strippers? Me, too! The vixen look has become so mainstream that it's passé."

Ironically, given the production cycle of magazines, Astley would have written this letter before Janet Jackson got into such trouble for her flashing antics at the Super Bowl. This hints at why Jackson and Justin Timberlake fell afoul: everyone was already getting sick of sex. Mind you, as far as I was concerned the problem wasn't that the vixen look was too trendily mainstream; to me, it was that such garb was a tasteless throwback to a time when women got jobs if they had big hooters. Put another way, I have never looked at Pamela Anderson and thought: "Wow! What a style maven!" On the other hand, I have tried to puzzle out why anyone would want their principal accomplishment to be that they'd called the entire world's attention to their breasts.

There is something spectacularly aimless about the state of undress of younger celebrities like Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears, given that their supposed vocation is to sing rather than swing. And what's going on with their pseudo-lesbian French kissing and their hyper-sexual dance moves? Are they celebrating their sexual freedom after years of oppression? No. That happened several decades ago. Are they celebrating their fashion freedom after years of foot-binding and corsetry? No. Try the century before last. Did somebody spike their Evian with Spanish fly?

The sexual revolution had politics to it, whether you agreed with them or not. But those politics were played out. The statements were made. By the time we got to The Vagina Monologues, wherein audience members were asked questions like, "If your vagina was a celebrity, who would it be?" the revolution had run out of steam.

The mavens of the vixen look aren't post-feminist. They're a weird, disconcerting combination of pre-feminist/post-sexual revolution. They have no idea what to do with freely displayed sexuality beyond getting the attention of boys. And the deeply irksome part is, they are acting as role models for our daughters. Every now and then, my seven-year-old brings up Britney, and I act like I've been poked with a hot stick. "I think Britney Spears is good," my daughter might say, and I rant, "She is not good, she is an idiot! There's nothing between her ears but insecurity and air!" I feel like a mom from the fifties sounding off about Elvis.

If Teen Vogue tells its readers they will look cool in pretty paisley dresses and belted cardigans, that sounds good to me. A more demure trend would certainly have improved the costumes I saw at my daughter's elementary school talent show in Toronto a few weeks ago. Up on the stage, in a gymnasium packed with proud parents, were children in halter tops and hip-hugging jeans, in groups of twos and threes, lip-synching to pop songs. These kids pretending to be music celebrities were interspersed with more conventional, and vastly more age-appropriate, acts performed by earnest little violinists and poets and tap dancers, their ponytails bouncing as they soft-shoed in black patent leather. It was as if there were a generation gap playing out right there on the stage, split down the middle of one peer group.

The casualness of sexual innuendo, so innocently adopted by these children, is leading them straight into a trend that has surfaced in headlines of late, that of 13-year-old girls giving oral sex to boys, and then shrugging it off as no big deal. A newspaper article detailed the phenomenon in middle schools, where so-called tweens, between 12 and 14, have somehow decided that it's cool, and risk-free, to offer sexual service to boys. As I write this column, I note that seven middle-schoolers in Pensacola, Fla., have just been suspended: a staff member stumbled across the two girls and five boys having oral sex in the school bathroom.

Five years ago, the PBS program Frontline aired a documentary in which an outbreak of syphilis was traced by puzzled public health officials to a group of middle-schoolers in suburban Atlanta. The girls who had contracted this vile STD were interviewed as they sat on their frilly beds, still covered with stuffed animals and dolls.

That juxtaposition says it all. Thanks to fashion and pop culture, sex has colonized childhood, ensnared children. We need to set them free.

Patricia Pearson is a Toronto writer

pearsonspost@sympatico.ca

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was readin in Context magazine that 'gay' colour are okay to wear now.

I've suspected this ever since DC made a skate shoe with neon pink trim.

you still wont catch me in those colours though....

Rat Pack Ethos for lyfe son!

Originally posted by Daze One Million

i love taking the quizes in them girl magazines

shit if my horoscope goes as planned, ill be meeting mr right at a happening party on either the 15th or 23rd (my lucky days), better make sure i wear red and stay away from those evil taurus boys!!!~~~

[HomoBlock.Enabled = True]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

killin me.

he's probably doing research on his adversaries. you know like getting smarter and shit. that's all good weapon X. it's this kind of person who invented the curved hockey stick, kudos.

i was just thinking today how sick i am of all the sexual indulgence. make it stop teen vogue, make it stop.

this past weekend i was in wilmington delaware, for a hardcore show.... a hardcore show that was apparently only populated with kids between the age of 13 and 17. it was INSANE what these girls were wearing. girls that didnt even have licenses, walking around in some low rise shit, no panties, titties all hanging out. and i wont front, a few of them were silly hot, but dude, they were 15....almost half my age. no thanks.

ugh.

it made me really sad for their futures...you can't be like that at 14 and not wind up all jacked up and confused by our societies hypocrtical perspectives. i'm more than happy to see girls put some cothes back on and stop sucking dudes off for juicy fruit and pogs (or whatever happens to be cool right now)

seeks/tonight we dance, for tomorrow they'll release the dogs

<span style='color:sandybrown'>thats the thing that pisses me off. You look at a girl from a distance, and you are like "damn, that girl is fine" then you get up near her and she has braces and is with friends that look 14. Girls need to stop doing this. Only girls my age and older are allowed to dress hot with no panties and titties floppin about. </span>

Originally posted by seeking

this past weekend i was in wilmington delaware, for a hardcore show.... a hardcore show that was apparently only populated with kids between the age of 13 and 17. it was INSANE what these girls were wearing. girls that didnt even have licenses, walking around in some low rise shit, no panties, titties all hanging out. and i wont front, a few of them were silly hot, but dude, they were 15....almost half my age. no thanks.

Yeah, I was at a hardcore show last weekend, and I couldn't believe how many like 14 year old girls there were. Whats even funnier is when they try and jump in the mosh pit... I had a good laugh at that. I stopped laughing when I realized the two fat, and ugly 15 year oldish emo chicks standing next to me were shoving their hands down each others pants...

i'm more than happy to see girls sucking dudes off for juicy fruit and pogs (or whatever happens to be cool right now)

most hardcore shows around here are exactly that way now

atleast at the 18/21-up shows you can feel more comfortable

and dont have to curse yourself for looking at 14 year old ass

my friend always carrys juicy fruit and pogs

around with him, now i understand why

Guest mikro137

ugh.

it made me really sad for their futures...you can't be like that at 14 and not wind up all jacked up and confused by our societies hypocrtical perspectives. i'm more than happy to see girls put some cothes back on and stop sucking dudes off for juicy fruit and pogs (or whatever happens to be cool right now)

seeks/tonight we dance, for tomorrow they'll release the dogs

dude why are there hardcore shows in that hell hole known as wilmington deleware?