lets go racing...pt. 2

freeze

okay, so as most of you know, i:m in japan now and i have limited access to television. even though ol girl bought a satellite prior to my trip in the hopes that i could catch my nascar races, it:s a no go. there are about 8 racing stations on the dish though, so i have been able to watch a ton of rally (mostly because my interest was piqued when i tried a nascar thread that quickly became a rally thread). this brings me to the point of the thread. all of the commentary is in japanese, and since i:m a newbie to rally, i have no idea what the fuck is going on and was hoping some of you rally fans could answer some of my questions.

1: are multiple cars racing the same course similar to a nascar road race, or is it more like a time trial where the cars start at different times and the fastest time wins?

2: are the races set up similar to the tour de france where there are several different stages to the same race and the overall fastest time wins?

3: how fast are these fuckers going? average speed? top speed?

4: how long are the races/stages?

5: what is the point of the guy in the passenger seat? he looks like a navigator, but why would one need a navigator on a set course?

6: are the courses even set? is there a starting location and an ending destination and it:s up to the driver/navigator to determine the fastest route?

7: when there are jump zones (marked with distance meters) does the driver that jumps the furthest get a time/money bonus?

8: do these guys make decent money?

9: do teams have primary and reserve cars like in nascar and f1, or if you crash are you straight fucked?

that:s all for now, but i:m sure i:ll think of more tonight when the races come on. any enlightenment would be appreciated because like i said i:ve been watching these things for nearly two weeks trying to figure them out and the japanese commentary is fucking with me.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

5: what is the point of the guy in the passenger seat? he looks like a navigator, but why would one need a navigator on a set course?

you're right, he's a navigator. as far as i know, they don't get to see the course beforehand, they're just given a map.

1: are multiple cars racing the same course similar to a nascar road race, or is it more like a time trial where the cars start at different times and the fastest time wins?

time trial style

2: are the races set up similar to the tour de france where there are several different stages to the same race and the overall fastest time wins?

correct

ball-bustingly fast

4: how long are the races/stages?

how long is a piece of string?

navigator

6: are the courses even set? is there a starting location and an ending destination and it:s up to the driver/navigator to determine the fastest route?

the courses are set. the point of the navigator is to advise of the severity of the turn, the frequesncy of turns and any obstacles in the way

7: when there are jump zones (marked with distance meters) does the driver that jumps the furthest get a time/money bonus?

no idea

8: do these guys make decent money?

i'd imagine so

9: do teams have primary and reserve cars like in nascar and f1, or if you crash are you straight fucked?

i believe they have the one car, and any down time between stages is used to repair damage.

Re: Re: lets go racing...pt. 2

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

the courses are set. the point of the navigator is to advise of the severity of the turn, the frequesncy of turns and any obstacles in the way

do they put obstacles in the way, such as downed trees, streams, mud pits, etc? i:ve seen shit like that, but i always assumed that it was just the nature of the course.

another question i just thought of...does the driver or navigator have radio connection to a crew chief/spotter like nascar or f1 to warn of crashes, conditions, etc.?

thanks for the replies.

Re: Re: Re: lets go racing...pt. 2

Originally posted by freeze

do they put obstacles in the way, such as downed trees, streams, mud pits, etc? i:ve seen shit like that, but i always assumed that it was just the nature of the course.

another question i just thought of...does the driver or navigator have radio connection to a crew chief/spotter like nascar or f1 to warn of crashes, conditions, etc.?

thanks for the replies.

they dont put obstacals in the way, but drivers to come up on some stuff every now and then that got there on its own.

nither the co-driver(navigator) or the driver have any radio contact with a crew cheif. they do carry cell phones incase of accident/injury/destroyed car. they really dont need radio contact because the stages are fairly short. (around 30-50 miles)

7. no, how far or high you jump makes no diffrence in what you place, and there is no bonus for it.

9. most teams have a few cars, and a few drivers, its pretty much one car per driver, so if you wreck it to the point of it not being driveable, your fucked. but, inbetween stages, (or on course, if required) the drivers and mechanics and change shit up and get it back on the road if time allows and its something fixable. this is why you see alot of cars on course missing body parts and with cracked windshields and such

it really depends on the rally, but its not uncommon to see speeds in range from 80-110 on the straights, and in the twisty sections, they hold around 30-60. the only time the drop below that is for very sharp turns with a hazard warning on the map.

hey dos, any idea on the speeds?

also, another, more mechanical question for you all...do these cars have four wheel steering? that:s pretty much why i keep hitting the speed question. being originally from colorado, the courses remind me of roads that i drove every day. some of those turns are hardcore, but easily do-able in a factory car if you:re maybe only going 45...i understand that these cars are built for this shit, but i have a hard time believing they:re hitting the 100:s which is what i think the announcers keep saying (something like 150 km/hr), but i suck at math, so my conversions may be off.

no, no 4 wheel steering, pretty much the same set up as a stock whatever.

as far as the 100mph thing, its a pretty common speed to hit on straights, but you gotta slow down for the turns (obviously).

there are one or two rallys a year that are a bit slower, really ruff roads and alot of curvy stages, cyprus is always one of the slower races

sorry dos, but i keep thinking of more and you:re obviously a fan...

i:ve seen on the commercials here races in the winter. is there a season for rally, or is it a year round gig? i know that nascar is damn near year round because it:s based primarily in the south, so the weather is conducive to track racing.

also, is there a 'super bowl' of rally? it would be pretty much like the daytona 500 of nascar? the defining race i guess? and more, who is/was your favorite driver/team? who should i look for? who:s hot? like i said, i:m broke on rally and trying to learn it at least. thanks.

its pretty much year round, there isnt really a set season. the races you see in the snow and ice are normally in places like sweden and variouse other places. the temp drops to around to -30 degrees celcius pretty often when the snow races come up. whats crazy is that the speeds dont really drop on the snow and ice. if you ever get a good view of a rally car ready for the snow, youll notice ice screws about and inch and a half long sticking out of the tire( so the get some grip).

there isnt really a superbowl of rally, the closest thing is the fia wrc events, witch is most likly what you see on tv. its run in about 10 diffrent countries around the world, in places like kenya, sweden, austraila, spain, argintina, italy, ect.

as far as my favorite team and driver. i have to go with subarus peter solburg and his co driver mr. mills (whos first name escapes me at this time). but mostly because i have a scooby and love it, so i gota pull for them. they are gettinga good beat down this year though, and have been having alot of mechanical problems with water crossings and what not. not to mention solburg wrecking alot this year.

dos...rock steady, i appreciate the info/link. we:ll be a bit more informed for tonight:s telecast. i know what you mean with your driver/team having problems all year too. my guy in nascar, dale jr., has had a fuck of a year. he:s still third in the championship standings, but nearly had his ass burned to death and has had to have back-up drivers on hand up until last week. we:ll see what:s up, nascar changed their points system this year, so we:re still in the ballgame. thanks though for sure for your helping my ass figure out rally.