lets all help southern get a good grade!!

Southern kid

i have a class in which i have to make a 15 minute documentary on something. being that it needed to be original and creative..i chose hobos and freight train culture as my topic. since it's a small town, and my professor hasnt ever left the grand state of texas..i figured it wouldnt be too bad of a choice. but the point of this thread however..is to find video footage that is already shot on hobos. i only have access to mr kabar...so i'm going to need some good stuff to fill in the gaps. anything would be great. it doesnt nessicarily be based on hoboes...it can be just on trains. doctumentary type stuff.....such as a&e videos or that mtv true life thing on hoboes. any of you guys know of some sources off hand? ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it'd be funny if you incorporated that scene from dancer in the dark.

ummm. there's a movie about woody guthrie that shows a bunch of bums gettin beat up by bulls.

the duffy littlejohn book talks about some movie where they tie a nut on a string underneath the train to hit hobos rising bottom.

and the beginnin of o brother where art thou....

oh.. and the simpsons :P

"Riding the Rails" video

Southern--The Riding the Rails video is available from Houston Public Libraries, It's like 75 minutes long or thereabouts. Lots of shots of the 1930's and 1940's. Plus some out-takes from a great movie about kids that decided to become tramps back in the Great Depression. It's basically the same idea you had, but about five or six very admirable old guys and one remarkable woman who became hoboes in the Great Depression.

i don't know whether it applies to trains, but there is a documentary called "the mole people" about hobos living in s.f. tunnels (i think..i have never gotten to see it, i know a couple dudes who have)

good luck

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS
Originally posted by Vanity

it'd be funny if you incorporated that scene from dancer in the dark.

ummm. there's a movie about woody guthrie that shows a bunch of bums gettin beat up by bulls.

the duffy littlejohn book talks about some movie where they tie a nut on a string underneath the train to hit hobos rising bottom.

and the beginnin of o brother where art thou....

oh.. and the simpsons :P

that movie is called Emperor Of The North

Originally posted by Vanity

the mole people is actually in a book.. you're thinking dark days... about the ny tunnels.

dateline did a special on ftra w/ some shots of some yobos in action.

word..dark days, that's it..

i smoke too much...

just give your teacher a burlapsack with some gear in it that you would find on a tramp or hobo:cans of beans, tin cup, belt to hold blanket, etc..

write a short depressing narrative in whichlife began at 58mph, time stops at 60mph and freedom is a constant 59mph without an increamant of vacillation.

play the tom waits song titled "cold water".

Archived