1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

lesson learned:krylon is gimp

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by rinse, Jan 8, 2004.

1. rinse

rinse 12oz Member

lesson learned:krylon is gimp

Discussion started by rinse - Jan 8, 2004

so i did a quick inventory of supplies tonight and found about 22 full/semi-full cans of paint without caps in them. i tried mashing caps in them and 12 of them just began spitting up mad paint from the nozzle and rejecting the caps. was gonna throw them out but dont want to waste the paint, anyone ever delt with this and know any salvage techniques? yea and 12 out of the 22 cans that were missing caps are krylon... krylon... only the capless krylon cans are misbehaving, imagine that!
    come on yall wizards out there give me some good advice.
    HELP SAVE SOME CANS O'BUSTED UP KRYLON

rinse - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  2. EyeforAnEYE

EyeforAnEYE 12oz Elite Member

EyeforAnEYE - Replied Jan 8, 2004

that shit has happened to me. I don;t think there is much you can do. Go to a hardware store or like a wal mart and return them. faulty merchandise

EyeforAnEYE - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. wiseguy

wiseguy 12oz Elite Member

wiseguy - Replied Jan 9, 2004

dont jam the cap in there, twist it in slowly ive had that same problem before and have found that this helps.

wiseguy - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. ERIZENO

ERIZENO 12oz Senior Member

ERIZENO - Replied Jan 9, 2004

thats is dead on. also try to store them with some cap in there stock or whatever ... it wont let the seal dry out as fast when its not exposed all the time. when the seal dries out and you jam a cap you will likely tear it and shove it in the opening of the valve causing an seemingly enless.

ERIZENO - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  5. swiss cheese

swiss cheese 12oz Senior Member

swiss cheese - Replied Jan 9, 2004

hmmm...

sounds like operator error to me.
    reboot.

swiss cheese - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. Sega Genesis

Sega Genesis 12oz Member

Sega Genesis - Replied Jan 9, 2004

allz you have to do is put a ny fat cap on there. ny fat caps fit on any cans baleeddat.

Sega Genesis - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. soneMILWwi

soneMILWwi Guest

soneMILWwi - Replied Jan 9, 2004

go sell it to some underage toy who cant buy there own, and then use that money to get new stock...

8. GaryColemen

GaryColemen 12oz Member

GaryColemen - Replied Jan 10, 2004

it can depend on the temp of where ur storing ur cans, and especially with krylon and painters touch u gotta shake the shit out of the can, otherwise the valve is fucked. shit happens bottom line, this will happen, and its just the consequence of painting

GaryColemen - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. rinse

rinse 12oz Member

rinse - Replied Jan 10, 2004

originally posted by wiseguy:
    yup, i can get the caps in but when it comes time to paint, the spray comes bubbles up from the valve (around the neck of the cap). the caps work fine in other cans though. pretty sure the cans are dead, maybe i'll try the return thing... only problem is you dont get receipts when you rack.
    hmmmm.

10. wiseguy

wiseguy 12oz Elite Member

wiseguy - Replied Jan 10, 2004

yeah, i understand what you mean rinse, but what i mean is everytime you put a cap on a can, put it on gently, to prevent tears in the seal. this will hopefully stop your problem of paint leaking out aruond the top of the seal.

wiseguy - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. rinse

rinse 12oz Member

rinse - Replied Jan 10, 2004

not sure that i've ever been too agressive when it comes to changing out caps, but i will pay special attention in the future. the vibe i am getting is that krylon cans just aren't manufactured to be very durable(yet another reason why krylon's rep is spotty). i haven't had this kind of trouble with any other brands i've used (with the exception of MAYBE one or two old cans of the cheapies but never 12 cans at a time of somewhat new/fairly full cans). i think rusto has been winning me over for awhile now.

12. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Jan 10, 2004

that's never happened to me with krylon

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  13. GucciCondom

GucciCondom 12oz Veteran Member

GucciCondom - Replied Jan 10, 2004

everyone knows....
    RUSTO GOT THE GUSTO.

GucciCondom - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. porque

porque 12oz Senior Member

porque - Replied Jan 10, 2004

..i actually use my paint...so i've never had this problem...

...don't let your paint sit for months betweem uses...

porque - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. rinse

rinse 12oz Member

rinse - Replied Jan 11, 2004

hmmm, sound advice. like i said this is a new one by me... but i was hoping that someone who "actually uses their paint" would stumble onto this thread and shed some real light on the subject. much abliged.

for those that didnt catch it, my tone in this post was laced with sarcasm... i use my colors as i need them. some cans may sit longer than others but please... who doesn't "actually use their paint"? don't hate just participate.