Legal wall (not the usual)

Overtime

I was trying to get a legal wall where i used to live and i just found the article online, thought i would share it with you guys, tell me what you think of the smart people

A request from several local teens for a city-sanctioned place to create "extreme art" better known as graffiti has gotten support from City Mayor Brown.

Brown believes the three youths who met with him over a month ago are serious about their art and just want a place to create it without getting in trouble.

"They said, 'We just want to do the right thing,'" Brown said. "... They take it very seriously as an art form. They're real neat kids."

The teens at first wanted a fixed public structure to create the graffiti on, but Brown came up with an alternate proposal. The city could use wooden posts and plywood to give the young artists a large "easel" for a canvas they can use for their creations, Brown said.

Brown compared the concept to the city's original idea to have a half-pipe skateboard ramp so local skateboarders could have a legal place to ride instead of causing problems in shopping centers where they weren't wanted.

"We're looking for fun and productive activities," Brown said.

The area could be located behind the police station for security purposes and there would be some regulations, including a ban on any profanities, Brown said.

Brown also promised the young artists that if their work passes muster on certain themes, he would endeavour to get the artwork displayed in an appropriate place.

"If they do one on Easter, I'll get a church to display it," Brown said. "Or if they do one on 9-11 (the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11), maybe we could put it up at a fire station."

In return, the youths promised to recruit as many others as they can to participate in an effort to help cut down on graffiti throughout the city, Brown said.

Brown said the materials to create the oversized easel would be inexpensive and the location behind the police station could be monitored with the police department's remote camera system.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my city did the opposite, they thought, "there is too much graffiti in this city, it must be because of all these legal walls, lets make all the legal walls illegal" as a result, illegal graffiti has increased phenomenally. noticably so, even to the average citizen, and over the past year the commuter train system has gotten crushed. serves those fucking idiots at city hall right.

i dont think that made any sense...

i got legals but they arent the normal legal walls..like street side style..i often ask people with huge walls near garages etc to let me rock them.well long story short,while panting and after painting youd be surprised as to how many people come by and say wow thats great how much would you charge me to do something like that and so on etc.....my 2 pennies........

Originally posted by PHYNE

i got legals but they arent the normal legal walls..like street side style..i often ask people with huge walls near garages etc to let me rock them.well long story short,while panting and after painting youd be surprised as to how many people come by and say wow thats great how much would you charge me to do something like that and so on etc.....my 2 pennies........

yeah, we set up some art festival walls and people came up to us and where askin us to paint shit for em, we got one lady wanted to pay us like 175 bucks a square foot for her basement

Originally posted by Scorn

what are spray cans then?

spary cans are: a peice of some type of metal, wrapped into a cyllinder with a top and a bottom, we call this a can. In the can companies insert paint then pump in enough air so the paint is pushed out of the can, allowing a "spray" of paint to come out. This tool has been embraced by Writers the world over.

Originally posted by onesecondple

In return, the youths promised to recruit as many others as they can to participate in an effort to help cut down on graffiti throughout the city, Brown said.

well fuck them youths, how are they going to stop graffiti?

we had our well-known skatepark built about 2 years ago, and the only reason the city even considered bulding it was so the skaters would stop destroying public property. FUCK THAT, all my friends still skate the same places they used to plus the skatepark, its going to be the same with that silly leagal wall.

an if you hit leagal walls it's technicly labbled "areosol art." But how fucking hard is it to find a big ditch, or a storage place around the city? If all your interested is piecing just go find a chill spot, or get some hip buisness owner to let you promote his store on the side of it, if that doesnt work just fuckin suck it up and go bomb

Graffiti is for losers.

Like me.

Like I said, if it ain't illegal IT IS NOT GRAFFITI. Period fuck that shit, if I am bombing and getting up illegally and some ass is just hitting up free walls who has the more street credibility? It does not mean that anyone who just hits up freewalls is any less talented as an aersol artist, it just means he dosen't bomb, and if you don't bomb kiddies, you don't write graffiti. I can name a few examples of cats who just paint legals who are pretty tight and some writers who bomb and suck, but when it comes down to it, writers respect those who bomb and not those who hit up where they can't get arrested. It defeats the whole purpose of graffiti, which is to destroy and get fame.

Now shut up and go bombing, the internet is for loser too, like me.

Archived