Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Legal wall (not the usual)

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Overtime, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

I was trying to get a legal wall where i used to live and i just found the article online, thought i would share it with you guys, tell me what you think of the smart people

A request from several local teens for a city-sanctioned place to create "extreme art" better known as graffiti has gotten support from City Mayor Brown.

Brown believes the three youths who met with him over a month ago are serious about their art and just want a place to create it without getting in trouble.

"They said, 'We just want to do the right thing,'" Brown said. "... They take it very seriously as an art form. They're real neat kids."

The teens at first wanted a fixed public structure to create the graffiti on, but Brown came up with an alternate proposal. The city could use wooden posts and plywood to give the young artists a large "easel" for a canvas they can use for their creations, Brown said.

Brown compared the concept to the city's original idea to have a half-pipe skateboard ramp so local skateboarders could have a legal place to ride instead of causing problems in shopping centers where they weren't wanted.

"We're looking for fun and productive activities," Brown said.

The area could be located behind the police station for security purposes and there would be some regulations, including a ban on any profanities, Brown said.

Brown also promised the young artists that if their work passes muster on certain themes, he would endeavour to get the artwork displayed in an appropriate place.

"If they do one on Easter, I'll get a church to display it," Brown said. "Or if they do one on 9-11 (the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11), maybe we could put it up at a fire station."

In return, the youths promised to recruit as many others as they can to participate in an effort to help cut down on graffiti throughout the city, Brown said.

Brown said the materials to create the oversized easel would be inexpensive and the location behind the police station could be monitored with the police department's remote camera system.

2. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

my city did the opposite, they thought, "there is too much graffiti in this city, it must be because of all these legal walls, lets make all the legal walls illegal" as a result, illegal graffiti has increased phenomenally. noticably so, even to the average citizen, and over the past year the commuter train system has gotten crushed. serves those fucking idiots at city hall right.
    i dont think that made any sense...

3. arktic

arktic New Jack

uh...

if its not illegal it is not graffiti.

4. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

5. Scorn

Scorn Member

i bet lots of you have written on a legal wall, does that mean your not doing graffiti? or does it mean, lets do a dope doodle on this legal wall?

6. Irite0n5tuff

Irite0n5tuff New Jack

7. Overtime

Re: uh...

yes it is, how is it not? if it isnt graffiti, what label would you apply to it?

8. HAMMERFALL

HAMMERFALL Member

anyone who would paint a legal wall behind a cop shop is a fucking idiot to begin with. and yea, if its not illegal, its not graffiti. its just a painting on a wall you have permission do. just because youre using spraypaint to do it, doesnt make it graffiti.

9. Mr. Whoppie

Mr. Whoppie New Jack

thats the stupidest shit ever....painting while the cops are breathing over your shoulder, fuck that. just go bombing.....

10. swiss cheese

swiss cheese Senior Member

G-A-Y

what a swell compliment. :D

11. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Painting at a police station would be the most surreal situation ever. It sounds like you've got a pretty smart, level headed mayor though.

12. Overtime

for the most part he was really helpful about it, after that he changed it to another spot and offered to put up a huge concrete wall for free. so it was cool

13. shitmop-1$

shitmop-1$ Senior Member

take out the cameras with spraypaint and paint the police station.:)

14. Overtime

they would never know it was us!

15. PHYNE

PHYNE Guest

i got legals but they arent the normal legal walls..like street side style..i often ask people with huge walls near garages etc to let me rock them.well long story short,while panting and after painting youd be surprised as to how many people come by and say wow thats great how much would you charge me to do something like that and so on etc.....my 2 pennies........