legal graffiti on NYC tains 4 $$$...

religion

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

One revenue-making notion that officials categorically reject is charging would-be graffiti artists to return a subway car to the way it looked in the 1980s. One man who runs a Web site dedicated to the history of subway graffiti, http://www.at149st.com, said some might plunk down a few hundred dollars for the chance.

"Graffiti artists have a soft spot in their heart for trains," Eric Deal said. (That's his "tag"; he asked that his real name not be used.)

He acknowledged, however, the slim chances that MTA officials, who wince at pictures of old graffiti-riddled cars, would ever approve. Even if it brought in a lot of money.

"I think the MTA would be very apprehensive about endorsing it on any level," he said.

• 3 weeks later...

well its not that stupid of an idea. Maybe they think if subway cars were legalized more graffiti would come off the streets. Graffiti on the streets is worse than on subways. In no way does the graffiti harm the subways and even if they were covered in graffiti people would still ride them.

theres legal walls, why cant there be legal trains, ig uess cause tere owned by the one big company, i guess like most big company's on streets (buildings (chain groceryy etc.. stores) dont legalize there walls, they cant be bothered doesnt help them.. in any way,.. unlike little buisenss etc legal walls grabs attention from people which little owners like... i just taught myself somethnig by trying to ask a question and kinda trying to figure it out as i was typing. cool

Im not sure if this is good or bad. If it could happen or not is another isssue in a way. I think that the most successful writers doing legal trains could be a great thing on several levels. Its roots should always be illegal, but the expansion of personal art into public space seems like a good idea. Pubic art on any level is a step ahead for north american culture on any level I think... for now. Yeah. :freak:

New Years drunk, Canadian style... fo shure.

If it's legal and you gotta shell out a couple bills to hit em up, then they oughta be supplyin' the montana and respirators. Paying a fee to do graff, got me fucked up. Whether you look at it as public art and or vandalism or whatever, that is straight up exploitation. Bet they'd do that to attract big time writers and try and solidify a case on em. Fuck that and fuck the system and fuck payin money to paint.