Learning 2 Break Dance

metallix

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking, like Emceeing, and graffiti takes no money to learn. It just takes desire and initiative. Just dance........dance alot, and then dance so more. It would help to maybe find some heads to give you advice, but learning on your own could help you to develop a unique style. Search the web, I'm sure there is a bunch of websites on breaking.

Oh and you are gonna have to think about getting in top physical shape cause some moves arent for the weak.

Originally posted by bigpoppa.k

thank you. and on that note, don't call it breakdancing or breaking... its b-boying.

you are a bboy. not a breakdancer.

to me, it makes sense that not all people that break are bboys.

a lot of people that want to be

a bboy or bgirl dont have the

discipline or whatever to break

for that long.

whats wrong with calling it breaking?

Originally posted by rental

probably the same thing that's wrong with people referring to going out painting as "graffing" or being a "graffer." it irritates the hell out of most people who associate themselves with that scene and spent a little memory figuring out what all the terms meant and how to use them correctly. it pisses me off when people say they're "graffers"...

but i also have a decent story about a friend of mine trying to explain what a "throw-up" was to me while we were both really high.

whatever. i can't even pogo right...

Originally posted by MrChupacabra

capoeira is dope as hell, if i ever get into any martial arts thats what i'd get into

did capoeira for about 4 years of my life , never did breakdancing

after watching various videos and hanging around breakers its not

hard at all to get it down and learn real easy . half of breakdancing came

from capoeira in the first place , wonk saggin

Originally posted by rental

to me, it makes sense that not all people that break are bboys.

a lot of people that want to be

a bboy or bgirl dont have the

discipline or whatever to break

for that long.

actually, break and breaking aren't bad terms.. breakdancing and breakdancer are technically incorrect.

the terms breakdancing and breakdancer were created by the mass media to make it a little less "rough" sounding and easier for the general public to understand what it is exactly.

BBoy... BoogieBoy, BreakBoy.. as well as others.

The DJ spins according to the breaks of the records, as does the BBoy. The BBoy breaks to the breaks of the records. If you break, you're a BBoy (or BGirl).

As mentioned above somewhere, anyone wishing to get down with this dance needs to watch The Freshest Kids. It teaches you the history of it all, the foundations, proper terminology, its like the StyleWars for BBoys. Super dope movie.

and i'll agree with effyoo... a good uprock routine and dance foundation will kill any power, anyday, period.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Few things...

1) Getting upset over people calling it "breakdancing" is petty. Get over the fact that people will never call it "bboying" because A) it actually sounds MORE retarded, B) "breakdancing" is actually a much more accurate word in terms of self-description, and C) its way too ingrained for there to be a change in the terminology used by the masses. Feel free to kindly point out the difference to those who don't know, but to reprimand people for it is stupid. I used to get pissed when people called me "breakdancer" until I realized how stupid that is, and how there's absolutely nothing wrong with the word at all... just bboys all butthurt cause the media exploited them.

2) Almost none of breakin' came from capoeira, originally. The vast majority of the moves were originated in the Bronx with no direct capoeira influence, just the same African roots. Capoeira came into the mix with the emergence of hollowbacks by Kid Freeze and later development of the dance... mid-80's or so, after most "capoeira" moves were invented (90's, sweeps, etc.). After that the relationship and parallels are clear, but to say most of bboying came from capoeira is incorrect.

3) The Freshest Kids is an average documentary, not great. It goes in depth into what the life of the original bboys was like and why they got into dancing, but the subject of the actual dance almost isn't treated at all. It's a good primer to learn the history of the pioneers, but in no way will it improve your dancing, just some knowledge for when you play Bboy Trivial Pursuit. I wouldn't put it anywhere close to the level of Style Wars, but then again, it's the only thing out there.

4) A good uprock won't necessarily destroy good power, or the other way around. Just mind who your audience/judges are, and adjust accordingly.

Guest BROWNer

if i had one iota of dance in me, in which i didn't feel

like a super cornball, i would be bboy johnny supreme.

i have always thought that a good bboy, dancing to a

ill ass tune is the most raw, hair raising shit. but..

i never ever danced. not pop dance, not hip hop, not

billy ray cyrus, not at all. whiteboy.

i tried to learn the basic footwork bboys use at the start

of their little routines, before they drop to the floor, but

gave up after i realized how completely hopeless it was.

plus i felt like a fucking bumbum failing miserably in

my livingroom with my girlfriend rolling her eyes at

my attempts.

Archived