Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Leaking rail car not designed to handle contents

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by ERIZENO, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/08/chemical....l.ap/index.html

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- A railroad tank car that leaked toxic fumes, forcing thousands of people from their homes, was not designed to hold the mixture of highly corrosive acids with which it had been filled, the car's owner said Monday.

Some 6,000 people were allowed to return home and highways were reopened Monday after crews pumped the hazardous brew of waste out of the tank car.

Tests showed the tank car had been filled with a mixture of acetic, hydrofluoric, phosphoric and sulfuric acids, which easily corroded the car's lining, said Louie Cononelos, a spokesman for Kennecott Utah Copper of Magna, Utah.

Cononelos said the car was supposed to be used only for hauling sulfuric acid.

The copper mining company owned the car, but Philip Services, a hazardous waste handler, had leased it, and was using it to haul waste belonging to its customers.

Philip Services spokesman Paul Schultz said the load complied with federal Transportation Department guidelines on the shipment of hazardous materials.

South Salt Lake Fire Chief Steve Foote said the incident could lead to a criminal investigation.

Officials said 6,000 gallons of liquid was pumped out of the car and it was believed about 6,500 gallons more had leaked and soaked into the ground. Contaminated soil will have to be neutralized with lime and removed, they said.

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know its not of much relevance to most of us, but a good thing to keep in the back of your mind. People do make mistakes and had any of us been in that yard do you think you would have noticed the tanker bulging and leaking ??

2. haunts

haunts Member

i dont know. i was in a yard the other day and a car had been completely crushed and i noticed that so maybe. i would hope that most of the people on 12 would notice that there was bubbling metal and liquid pouring out of a car, its not normal and most people on here are pretty smart. so yeah. if nothing else i know pretty much everybody on here would noticed the pouring liquid part.

3. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

Just thought i would throw it out there, if you think most people would notice cool ... i dont agree fully but no worries.

Yeah if shit was pouring out you would think you would hear it, but how many people have died when a passing train snuk up on them. When i enter a yard i have a lot of things on my mind, and untill this the least of them would be a misfilled car dumping toxic waste.

so yeah ....

4. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Hazmat leaks are pretty rare. I never sweat being around those cars. But if you do see one leaking, get the fuck out. There's plenty carrying toxic and flammable gases.
    Hard to believe they mixed all those acids together. Acid mixtures are worse than single acids because one can act as a proton donor and let the other one attack at full strength, sort of like tying one hand behind your opponent's back. Somebody with no chemistry knowledge (or hazmat training) pulled that one.

5. Cracked Ass

And yes, you would have noticed that car leaking from a long way off because of the acrid stench irritating your eyes and lungs and nose and throat.

6. Cracked Ass

Haha I just reread the specific acids in the mix. That car was full of superstrong vinegar (acetic), glass etch concentrate(hydrofluoric), concentrated soda additive (phosphoric), and battery acid (sulfuric). Poor fella didn't stand a chance.

7. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

I used to have a TEXT file telling what all those # codes for different hazmat items stood for, so you could judge risk. I'll see if I can dig it up.....

Here are a few of the bad ones to be exposed to, although the list is farther from complete than I remember it being:

Fairly nasty / toxic / dangerous chems.

1715 Acetic Anhydride
    2870 Aluminum Borohydride
    1760 Aminopropyldiethanolamine
    1112 Amyl Nitrate
    1114 Benzene
    1755 Chromic Acid Solution
    1463 Chromium Trioxide, anhy
    1889 Cyanogen Bromide
    1154 Diethylamine
    1779 Formic Acid
    1787 Hydriodic Acid & Solutions
    1788 Hydrobromic Acid & Solutions
    1049 Hydrogen [compressed gas]
    1966 Hydrogen [refrigerated liquid]
    1048 Hydrogen Bromide anhy
    2197 Hydrogen Iodide anhy
    1221 Isopropylamine
    1616 Lead Acetate
    1415 Lithium
    1410 Lithium Aluminum Hydride
    1411 Lithium Aluminum Hydride ethereal
    1412 Lithium Amide
    1413 Lithium Borohydride
    2010 Magnesium Hydride
    1634 Mercuric Bromide
    1624 Mercuric Chloride
    1061 Methylamine anhy
    1062 Methyl Bromide
    1593 Methylene Chloride
    2881 Nickel catalyst dry
    1873 50-72% Perchloric Acid
    1802 <50% Perchloric Acid
    1870 Potassium Borohydride
    1479 Potassium Dichromate
    1428 Sodium
    1426 Sodium Borohydride
    1479 Sodium Dichromate
    1427 Sodium Hydride
    1831 Sulphuric Acid fuming

Really nasty shit:

0222 Ammonium Nitrate with more than .2% combustible materials
    2017 Chemical Ammunition [irritant w/ no explosives]
    2016 Chemical Ammunition [poisonous w/ no explosives]
    1026 Cyanogen Gas
    3245 Genetically Modified Microorganisms
    9278 Genetically Modified Organisms
    2016 Grenade poison gas w/out bursting mechanism
    1051 Hydrogen Cyanide anhydrous stabilized
    1613 Hydrogen Cyanide aqueous sol
    3294 Hydrogen Cyanide sol in alchohol
    2814 Infectious Substances affecting humans
    1851 Medicines liquid toxic
    2810 Medicines liquid poisonous
    2811 Medicines solid poisonous
    3249 Medicines solid toxic
    1624 Mercuric Chloride
    1636 Mercuric Cyanide
    3064 1% to 5% Nitroglycerin in alchohol solution
    2447 Phosophorous molten, white
    1680 Potassium Cyanide
    1689 Sodium Cyanide
    1692 Strychnine
    1693 Tear Gas substances or devices
    2975 Thorium Metal pyrophoric

Be safe...

8. Kirby p

Kirby p Senior Member

any one see mr. wizard when he made a volcano?

9. Hermdog

Hermdog Elite Member

Mr. Wizard was the shit ^^ haha

10. 83.

83. Member

hahahahaha..i used to wake up at like 5am to watch that shit on nickelodeon

11. Cracked Ass

I used to have a paper copy of the list, but lost it. Before I lost it I memorized about 75% of the 2500 or so entries...hardcore geekism.
    The nastiest shit I've seen in person:
    1051 Hydrocyanic acid (This is the gas used in the gas chamber...and a lumber treatment.)
    1052 Hydrogen fluoride, anhydrous (Take the active ingredient in etch bath. Remove all water to make it 100% concentrated. Turn it into a poison gas. Compress lots of it into a tank car. Scary. I honestly don't know what they build the tank car with that this stuff doesn't corrode.)
    2186 Hydrogen chloride, refrigerated liquid (Same deal as 1052 but start with hydrochloric acid.)
    1381 White or yellow phosphorus (Ignites spontaneously if exposed to...air.)
    1162 Dimethyldichlorosilane (Flammable liquid; corrosive to skin; if you add water to it, it starts burning and gives off toxic fumes.)
    1428 Sodium (This is the molten metal; if you add water it explodes.)
    1017 Chlorine (Fairly common on the rails, but still one of the nastiest.)
    1580 Chloropicrin (Puke dust; wafts easily in air, causing severe vomiting; can also explode but only if exposed to severe shock/heat combo, i.e. if the next tankcar in line just exploded.)
    1040 Ethylene oxide (Super toxic gas...also super flammable.)
    Now that I think about it, I've seen almost every one of these rolling in New Jersey.

12. Cracked Ass

The hardest one to memorize was 3-(2-hydroxyethoxy)-4-pyrrolidin-1-yl benzenediazonium zinc chloride. In fact, I forgot the number - maybe 3035 or around there.

13. Cracked Ass

Here's a weird tidbit: a NIOSH guide to hazardous chemicals describes phosgene gas (1076; COCl2) as having an odor like musty hay. Then they say that the odor threshhold (the point at which you can smell it) is HIGHER than the lethal dose.
    So how did they know what it smells like without dying? I can see the lab experiment now: one brave test subject volunteers his life to find out. They put him in a miked room, pump it full of phosgene, and yell "Quick! What does it smell like?" And just before he keels over he grabs his throat and croaks, "Musty...hay..."
    :yuck: :spent: :burn:

14. tEkRoCkS

tEkRoCkS Veteran Member

yo cracked that last post was funny shit....i work with alot of acids at work shit is no joke hydrochloric is dangerous shit u inhale it and u cant breathe it has a cloudy look to it when it hits air..i cannot believe all those acids were mixed and noone was hurt...

15. war pigs

war pigs Dirty Dozen Crew

they don't call it "the chemical coast" for nothing..haha