Last ditch attempt to pass math class

dojafx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

basically, the way i do it, is to first figure out what two numbers, when multiplied together, would come out to the number without the variable (in this case -12)... so i picked -2 and +6 ... then figure out what two numbers when multiplied together would come out to the first number (in this case 10)... i picked just 1 and 10, and because of that, it also satisfied the -14 aspect of the equation... if it hadn't, i might have tried 2 and 5, because those also come out to 10 when multiplied.

sorry if this didn't make any sense... it's the method i would use... i'm really bad at explaining things though.

Originally posted by Herbivore@Dec 7 2004, 06:40 PM

basically, the way i do it, is to first figure out what two numbers, when multiplied together, would come out to the number without the variable (in this case -12)... so i picked -2 and +6 ... then figure out what two numbers when multiplied together would come out to the first number (in this case 10)... i picked just 1 and 10, and because of that, it also satisfied the -14 aspect of the equation... if it hadn't, i might have tried 2 and 5, because those also come out to 10 when multiplied.

sorry if this didn't make any sense... it's the method i would use... i'm really bad at explaining things though.

man, thanks for your help, i have to go to school now, and with 3 pages of problems left to do on this take home test thing

heh, maybe i should've worked on it last night?

well whatever, thanks for your help again

i guess the only option left is to cheat!

wooooo!

:king:

Originally posted by dojafx+Dec 7 2004, 10:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dojafx - Dec 7 2004, 10:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

the next problemo is 10x^2-14x-12

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Herbivore@Dec 7 2004, 10:34 AM

(x-2)(10x+6)

you can factor further there also... you still have a 2 to factor out.

which should be factored first.

Maybe they went over it in higher grades I don't know..I dropped out in 10th grade. Math was never my strongpoint I usually just did enough to pass with a D-

I think the math classes I need to take next semester are more business related and solving problems not all this wacky ass encryption codes that I will never use.

wow.

i haven't seen this stuff in awhile.

polynomials are used throughout a lot of mathermatics.

so get good at 'em.

F.O.I.L. works for testing a factor of a polynomial, or completing polynomials. Can't use it to factor though.

I never remember what the method was for factoring a polynomial....I always just played with numbers until it was right.

hahahahaha i feel ya..i failed my algebra class;[ i was doing good..and got a lil behind even tho i was getting tutored..and my teacher said i had to get a 100 on my final to pass.. i'm not even gonna take it..grrrr i hate math..

my tutor said i understand it..but they are going so fast..seriously my teacher will teach us.. (if you call it teaching) 2 to 3 sections in one class.. sorry i cant soak that shit that up that fast..call me retarded..haha and when i go home to do the homework it wont be any of the examples he showed us in class..

High school math... I'm not going to miss it. For those wondering about grade level/math course, kids looking to get into competitive colleges generally do this:

8th grade- Algebra 1

9th grade- Geometry/Algebra 2

10th grade- Geometry/Algebra 2

11th grade- Precalc and Trigonometry

12th grade- Calculus part one

I slacked off last year and only took Trig. All my friends in calculus tell me they wish they had done the same thing.