Lame facts for you

Fondles

-The character known as the Mad Hatter in Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and the phrase "mad as a hatter" are both based on a tragic episode in manufacturing history. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, hatmakers used various chemicals in their work, among them mercury for curing felt. Mercury is a deadly poison, and the thousands of workers who handled this noxious substance developed pathological symptoms---including kidney damage, anemia, inflammation of the gums, as well as insanity---known today as "hatter's syndrome." It is estimated that at one time more than 10 percent of all the workers in hat factories ended their lives insane.

-Approximately 70 percent of the earth is covered with water. Only 1 percent of this water is drinkable.

-Though the Italian Renaissance flourished in Rome, not a single Renaissance artist, sculptor or musician of any stature was born in that city. During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, practically all architects, painters, sculptors and musicians were imported to Rome. When they had completed their projects, they almost always departed.

-In feudal Japan the Imperial Army had special soldiers whose only duty was to count the number of severed enemy heads after each battle.

-In Turkey, in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, anyone caught drinking coffee was put to death.

-In the Middle Ages animals were tried and publicly executed. Birds, wolves, insects, all were tried by ecclesiastical courts as witches and heretics, and suffered excommunication, torture, and death. The last such trial took place in 1740, when a French judge found a cow guilty of sorcery and ordered it hanged by the neck until dead. In 1386 at Falaise a judge ordered a pig to have its legs mutilated and then be hanged for killing a little girl. The pig was dressed up in the child's jacket and dragged to the town square with all the ceremony due a first-rate criminal. The execution, it is recorded, cost 6 sous plus a pair of gloves for the executioner so that he might carry out the killing with clean hands.

-Before 1859 baseball umpires sat in a padded rocking chair behind the catcher.

-The only manmade structure visible from space is the Great Wall of China.

-The first letter of every continent's name is the same as the last: AmericA, AntarticA, EuropE, AsiA, AustraliA, AfricA.

-In his youth Adolf Hitler was a landscape and portrait painter and, according to some who have seen his work, not a bad one. It was Hitler's inability to get into the Vienna Art Academy, it has been said, that caused him to hate that city forever. Of Hitler's three hundred paintings, only about twelve still exist. Four or five of these are in the U.S.A.

-Thomas Edison was deaf from the time he was twelve years old. The malady was caused while Edison was trying to board a train at Frazer Station, Michigan, U.S.A. A conductor took hold of his ears to help pull him aboard. "I felt something snap inside my head," Edison later said. "My deafness started from that time and has progressed ever since." Edison never went to school---his formal education consisted of three months' attendance at a public school in Port Huron, Michigan, U.S.A.

-The sixty-story John Hancock Tower in Boston, U.S.A. is haunted by one of the more mysterious problems in skyscraper history: its windows, hugh 4-by-11-foot panes of glass, pop out unexpectedly and shatter on the street below. The building, completed in 1972, was less than a month old when suddenly dozens of its windows began popping for no discernible reason. Determined to remedy the situation, the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company replaced all 10,334 windows with 400-pound sections of half-inch tempered glass. The windows kept popping out. Today the mystery remains unsolved, and windows occasionally still pop. To protect passers-by, John Hancock has hired two permanent guards who do nothing but peer up and spot the cracked panes before they tumble to the sidewalk.

eh maybe more later..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Seldoon

-The only manmade structure visible from space is the Great Wall of China.

nah, too thin.

-The first letter of every continent's name is the same as the last: AmericA, AntarticA, EuropE, AsiA, AustraliA, AfricA.

they convenietly left out "north" and "south," which would be completely refute this.

Re: Re: Lame facts for you

Originally posted by destroya

nah, too thin.

It's true...I think you can see the Luxor pyramid too, due to the

super bright light on it. Not for sure on that though. I know that

the Wall is, and I think they're might be another one..maybe

google can help me.

Edit: here is a site about whats really visible from space.

Re: Re: Re: Lame facts for you

Originally posted by Crimsøn

It's true...I think you can see the Luxor pyramid too, due to the

super bright light on it. Not for sure on that though. I know that

the Wall is, and I think they're might be another one..maybe

google can help me.

Edit: here is a site about whats really visible from space.

i heard it was the great wall and the garbage dump on staten island. not joking, thats what i heard.

The "f" word occurs 246 times in Martin Scorcese's Goodfellas - that averages out at one every 35 seconds. Around 120 of them were delivered by Joe Pesci.

You share your birthday with at least 9 million other people in the world.

The times of day that you are most likely to be hit by a drunk driver is 2am, 6am and 4pm.

thats some random shit....

im going to bed. i just read 20 pages of facts and now my eyes hurt.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/6917...7/fascinat.html

here is where i got those from. find ur favorite and post em here yeeeeaaa:lick: :lick: :crazy: :crazy:

That music made it unbearable for me. But the average lead pencil can draw a line 35 miles long. Don't they know pencils aren't made of lead anymore???

Originally posted by ASH.UGT

kangaroo's cant walk backwards.

neither can an emu,

which is why the kangaroo and the emu appear on the australian coat of arms (featured on our 50c peice) the idea is to be portrayed as a nation that cant go backwards, and we are always moving forwards.

Archived