KRYPTONITE locks -VS- A bic pen

RumPuncher

Looks like the pen wins!!!

The revelation that a cheap ball-point pen can open the Kryptonite-brand bike lock and other circular-key locks has captured the attention of cyclists around the world. But a Winnipeg locksmith says it's old news to professionals, who have known for years cyclists have been putting too much faith in locks.

"Any lock in the world can be broken. That's why there are policemen," said the locksmith, who wished to remain anonymous. He added it was no surprise to him that some bike locks are easily picked with a ball-point pen.

"We've known that for 15 years," he said.

For the past week, an Internet video showing how to pick the locks was one of the hottest downloads.

The Kryptonite locks are sold worldwide and are often said to be leaders in the industry.

Now many bike stores are pulling their supply from the shelves faster than you can download the video.

"Honestly, to me it seems kind of odd you can pick the lock with a two-cent pen. You'd think Kryptonite would have had their bases covered," said Olympia Cycle & Ski store manager J. L. Russell, who estimated he has sold between 100 and 200 of the locks last year at the store on St. Mary's Road.

The locks sold for $46.99, with an option to purchase a $1,500 guarantee for an extra $10 to $20.

Russell has stopped selling the Kryptonite locks, packaged as the Kryptolock, and said he isn't sure what he'll tell his customers.

http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/accessory/Images/kryptonite_7500_mini_u-lock.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

damn... sorry about that.

My boss just came in and told me like it was late breaking news....

plus the article I linked came from a google news story only 4 hours ago.

but damn..... I have a motorcycle lock too... but with a round key.

then again.... I never really leave my bike outside.

It comes with me.... always on my right side.

• 4 years later...