Knives and guns seized

FourOneTwo

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00276599f00000001.jpg'>

^this shit is dope

WASHINGTON (Dec. 3) - Some passengers still haven't gotten the word about what they can and can't take on planes. Seized at airports during the Thanksgiving crush: 15,982 pocket knives, 98 boxcutters, six guns and a brick.

Still, transportation officials said the airport chaos predicted by many never occurred. Passengers waited less than 10 minutes on average at security checkpoints during the first holiday travel season since an all-federal work force took over screening.

Michael Wascom, spokesman for a group representing the major airlines, said operations were generally smooth even with bad weather in some places. ``Passengers moved efficiently through the airports, and customer service standards were upheld,'' said Wascom, spokesman for the Air Transport Association.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the government has tightened restrictions on what can be taken on board a plane.

Robert Johnson, spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, said many holiday travelers are inexperienced fliers and don't realize they can't take knives, scissors, fireworks or ammunition onto planes. If they try to, the prohibited items will be confiscated. Passengers also could be prosecuted, a decision made by law enforcement officials depending on the item and the circumstances.

Between Tuesday and Sunday, six people who tried to carry guns onto planes were arrested: two at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport and one each at New York's LaGuardia Airport, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport, Salt Lake City International Airport and Dulles International Airport outside Washington.

``We find the gun, we turn the passenger over to law enforcement at the checkpoint,'' said Johnson. Charges vary, but most often they're a variation on possession of a prohibited weapon, Johnson said.

``You're not allowed to have a gun at the airport without a permit,'' he said.

The TSA says that at the 38 busiest U.S. airports over the Thanksgiving holiday, 1,072 clubs or bats were confiscated, 3,242 banned tools and 2,384 flammable items, including a welding gun in Boise, Idaho. Another 20,581 sharp objects - such as scissors, ice picks and meat cleavers - also were stopped at the checkpoints. Someone tried to bring a toy cannon made of live ammunition onto a plane at Chicago O'Hare International Airport.

A man tried to carry a brick onto a plane at Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington.

``I don't know why he would carry a brick,'' Johnson said.

Though TSA can't make year-to-year comparisons because the data collection method has changed, the six guns taken from 38 airports in six days compare with 813 firearms taken from 429 airports in the eight months from February to September. During that same period, 783,670 knives and 31,064 boxcutters were seized, compared with 15,982 pocketknives and 98 boxcutters over Thanksgiving.

The prohibited items are turned over to local police, where they're either kept as evidence or thrown away, Johnson said.

The TSA hopes to better educate people about what they can take onto airplanes by Christmas, when air travel will be complicated by new gate check procedures and many more checked bags screened for explosives.

``We would expect that, with the Christmas holiday, a lot of these people will be back and we hope they'll learn their lesson,'' Johnson said.

The agency is slowly eliminating random security checks of passengers at airport gates throughout the country. Six airports have been phased in, and more will be by Christmas, Johnson said. Air travelers must have their boarding passes in hand before being screened at those airports where gate screening has been eliminated, even if they don't check their luggage.

Airlines are adding more self-service kiosks outside of the checkpoints so travelers can get their boarding passes without waiting in line at ticket counters, Johnson said.

Airports will be gearing up to meet a Dec. 31 deadline to screen all checked baggage for explosives. Despite a recent congressional reprieve allowing the TSA another year, the agency will try to implement new baggage-screening procedures at as many airports as possible by year end, Johnson said.

The number of bags that will be examined for explosives will increase ``severalfold'' by Christmas, Johnson said.

Many of the details still need to be worked out, Johnson said. The TSA still is working on such procedures as whether baggage can be locked and how hand searches of luggage will be supervised.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest -MOE LESTER-

i carry my automi kalashni on airplanes all the time...with my turban, hand grenades, 15 inch machete, and a disposable rocket launcher

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by FourOneTwo

A man tried to carry a brick onto a plane at Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington.

Probably Tease and his stupid Mr. Brick.

Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-

i carry my automi kalashni on airplanes all the time...with my turban, hand grenades, 15 inch machete, and a disposable rocket launcher

shit me too cept i carry a stinger missle launcher

Archived