Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Kingdome of Heaven

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by CIPHER_one, May 7, 2005.

1. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Was not very good. I was expecting awesome visuals, and got nothing of the sort.

The first half hour was real cool..

I don't care if there was another thread.

2. SF1

SF1 Elite Member

What are you talking about???
    You had a near death experience?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

3. Theodore Huxtable

Theodore Huxtable Banned

also XXX: State of the Union was wack as hell. a wack cliche action movie with corny lines, lots of explosions and ridiculous jumps, bad acting, and no plot. and i thought samuel l. jackson hated rappers-turned-actors and didn't want to do movies with rappers.

4. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

i like ice cubes ability to write and act (friday) but i do not wnat to se ethat new xxx movie. was gonna see kingdom of heaven, but now i don't think i will. too many bad reviews.

we need a 'new movie' thread.

5. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

What the fuck where you expecting, seriously?

6. I thought Kingdom of Heaven was fucking awesome.

7. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

When I saw that you had replied, I knew this would be your response before I clicked on the thread. ;)

It wasn't god-awful...just didn't do it for me. And it was so strikingly similar to Gladiator, but just not as good.

8. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

9. Neskoner

Neskoner New Jack

ya..i thouwt it wuz hawt forreaala.

10. Fondles

Fondles Veteran Member

I want to see it still.

fuckola -RIP TEASE

11. The problem I had with the movie was that it bit off way more than it could chew, trying to simplify very complex political and religious issues into an easily digestible 145-minute movie, while at the same time trying to present characters and personal situations that we could get strongly attached to. As a result, all of it gets diluted and everything's kind of hazy, and you never really get all that roused up for the climax, nor do you care all that much for what happens to the characters. "Gladiator", for example, kept the politics to a minimum (empire vs. republic) and just really focused on the character of Maximus, and succeded immensely. You just want him to kick so much ass and fuck everyone up, and when he does, the result is extremely satisfying. The same doesn't happen at all in "Kingdom of Heaven", cause you don't know if to care more about the christian vs. muslim thing, or about Balien's journey. In my case, I chose the former, cause Balien really wasn't written well at all. The movie is much better as politial commentary than a character movie, so I was fine walking out of it without that "Gladiator" high.

As for the visuals, man, I think they stomped ass. It's kinda hard to be impressed these post-LOTR days with big battle scenes, but Ridley Scott has an unparalleled eye when it comes to imagery. I literally had to hold my breath during a few shots cause they looked so unbelievably good. Finally, Jeremy Irons, Ed Norton, and the dude who played Saladin fucking rocked. Orlando Bloom did not (not all the blame goes to his acting though).

I'm holding my final verdict until the DVD comes out. Ridley has said that the actual movie is 220 minutes long, which I'm hoping fills out the bits that felt hollow in the movie. It's just way too large a movie to be covered in two hours and a half and still feel complete. But for now, it's definitely enjoyable and very much worth watching it in the theater. It's not gonna look nearly as good on a TV screen.

12. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you're saying. Except that part about not expecting much from Orlando Bloom's character, so you were able to walk out feeling satisfied. I walked out feeling very unsatisfied. Though, I can fully understand your thought process.

Also, with the visuals, they were rockin' during the whole first half houre with Liam Neesan(sp?). With all the blue tones, and snow, btu after that I wasn't that impressed. Ridley Scott definitely has a great eye, but I felt he again succeeded more with Gladiator in the visuals department.

The more I think about it, if Liam Neesan's character was the main character, I woulda enjoyed the movie 10X more.

Have you seen any Terrence Malick films? I think you'd be into his visual style.

I thought that was Ed Norton...

13. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

220 minutes, man that's a LONG movie. It looks good but I wish Ridley Scott would go back to making films like Alien and Bladerunner.