Kid 606 - Resilience

fermentor666

400726723.jpg

I'm a big Kid 606 fan, especially his early glitch stuff and his sample-based works. The last few releases he did were pretty boring Jungle/Ragga tracks and I was pretty dissapointed, especially after seeing him play a laptop set in 2003 and getting bored because it was all jungle except for the last 20 minutes or so where he did a little bit more glitch.

This new CD came out on July 25th and I just downloaded it, yesterday, instead of buying it because like I said, the last CD of his I bought I was dissapointed with. This one is really good, though, a lot different from his other works the way that the jungle stuff was different from his early songs. It's more steady-beat oriented and less abrasive, no 3 minute long time-stretching tracks or psycho-cd-skipping beats, which I like but a lot of people can't get into. I wouldn't have made a thread about it if I didn't think a lot of you who are into hip-hop type grooves and downtempo wouldn't dig it. Soft sounding synths that still have a lot of edge and steady grooves, it's great, dense stuff.

Best track: #6 - I Miss You.

You can get samples from: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/188147-01.htm

or buy it or check it out from your favorite file-sharing program. I might even be able to send it to you if you ask nice enough.

http://www.tigerbeat6.com/index.php?id=3_4

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

From the release information:

Kid606 didn't want to die without releasing "Resilience". Comprised of 12 songs composed In many places at home and on tour, from the isolated coldness of Stavenger, Norway to the claustrophobic heat of Athens, Greece. Most noticeable will be the undiluted rhythmic strength of the music, derived from the most primal elements of dancehall, dub, house and hip-hop tweaked just enough to not sink into the formulaic complacence which most instrumental electronica suffers from. This record will be a surprise to many familiar with the almost schizophrenic range of Kid606's output over the years, but rest assured this is Kid606 at his most natural and uninhibited element. Individually these songs all have there own unique identity for the listener to decide upon, but together they are intended to make a cohesive statement of love, depression, nostalgia, psychedelia, escapism and the overall contradictory nature of trying to be happy in a life you don't have control over but won't end anytime soon. In his own words" this is my favorite album because I had so much internal pressure and inspiration to make these songs, but no external pressure to ever make an album out of it or worry about deadlines or how it would be receive. None of these songs are about being naive and discovering things like my past releases, but all about successfully transferring what I heard in my head into songs and then into an album I always wanted to make".

Down With the Scene and GQ on the EQ are really great glitch.

The Action Packed Mentalist Brings You the Fucking Jams is a mash-up masterpiece.

The Soccergirl EP is great ambient.

Kid 606 Vs. Dalek is Hip-hop meets glitchcore.

Kill the Sound Before it Kills You is jungle/ragga, good for what it is but I'm not into it.

Why I Love Life is ambient glitch. Good.

Kid 606 and Cex Are Terrible Musicians is so-so ambient glitch.

Basically I'd recommend Down with the Scene and GQ on the EQ as a good starting point.

Also, if you can, grab Kid 606 & Friends - Attitude. It's a Tigerbeat6 (his label) artist compilation that remixes NWA, it's fucking crazy. The Express Yourself remix is hot fire.

Originally posted by decu goldyn1@Sep 23 2005, 04:42 AM

i kinda stumbled on this recently, hoping that it would sound like his earlier stuff, i didn't like it much

i think i'll stick with superpitcher, mfa, matthew dear, prefuse 73

savath and savalas etc. etc. on and on

That's how I felt about Kill the Sound Before it Kills You and Who Still Kill Sound? which were all jungle and honestly pretty boring. It's well done, but it's also been done to death. I saw him live when he was supporting KTSBIKY, was dissapointed. I really like this, though, I find it a refreshing artistic change. I'm a huge Kid 606 fan, but I don't like everything he does just because he does it. Music first.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Sep 23 2005, 12:07 AM

That's how I felt about Kill the Sound Before it Kills You and Who Still Kill Sound? which were all jungle and honestly pretty boring. It's well done, but it's also been done to death. I saw him live when he was supporting KTSBIKY, was dissapointed. I really like this, though, I find it a refreshing artistic change. I'm a huge Kid 606 fan, but I don't like everything he does just because he does it. Music first.

I didn't think who still kill sound was all jungle, i just realized the only tracks i liked on there were the non jungle ones ha. Ex: Ladies

-True i was very surprised by this album, it is big left turn for an artist. It's like he stripped and slowed wayyy down. I just can't get into it because there's not enough drums in there for me and too many ethereal noises. I can dig Banana peel though. The music in a way does sound beautiful.

If i had my own dentist office i'd play this cd in it.

I haven't really listened to Who Still Kill Sound much, maybe I should give it another whirl. KTSBIKY was all jungle, though. My favorite stuff is still his early glitch work. I Miss You is definitly my favorite track, can't get enough of it at the moment. I still am not buying the elevator/dentist/volkswagon thing, there's a lot of density to this album. Couple of the tracks could actually be considered house, even. Not my favorite, but I'm really happy with it and surprised.

Rage: Get on AIM and I'll send it over.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Sep 22 2005, 09:03 PM

Down With the Scene and GQ on the EQ are really great glitch.

The Action Packed Mentalist Brings You the Fucking Jams is a mash-up masterpiece.

The Soccergirl EP is great ambient.

Kid 606 Vs. Dalek is Hip-hop meets glitchcore.

Kill the Sound Before it Kills You is jungle/ragga, good for what it is but I'm not into it.

Why I Love Life is ambient glitch. Good.

Kid 606 and Cex Are Terrible Musicians is so-so ambient glitch.

Basically I'd recommend Down with the Scene and GQ on the EQ as a good starting point.

Also, if you can, grab Kid 606 & Friends - Attitude. It's a Tigerbeat6 (his label) artist compilation that remixes NWA, it's fucking crazy. The Express Yourself remix is hot fire.

biggus^^^

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Sep 24 2005, 01:19 AM

This shit's a little too treble-heavy for my liking. Maybe on a head full of drugs I could really appreciate it but otherwise there's not enough percussion to hold my attention. Then again, I've only skimmed most of the tracks.

Still uh.. cool for what it is, though.

Dickus, homie .. you on soulseek?

Yeah, CYPMs.

I'm just grabbing the entire collection, fuck it.

Directory of C:\temp\Kid606

[.]
[..]
[12FAT020]
[American Breakbeat]
[attitude]
[brain not in the Wire (disc x) - don't you feel special now_]
[Cex & Kid606]
[Christoph De Babalon VS Kid 606 Split 12_]
[DEPECHE MODE Singles Box 6]
[Don't Sweat the Technics]
[Down With The Scene]