keith haring

unibrowsROCK

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I guess growing up in NY Im so used to seeing Keith Haring everywhere.. from sides of buildings to his shop on Orchard to a handball court in Bx/upper Manhattan. I think its poppy, I think it looks good and is graphically pleasing. Is it graphic design or fine art? Im not one to say, Im sure thats a big argument about Haring. I think he promoted a lot of good things while he was alive, and I think his grpahics are very effective and to the point for those subjects (drug use, AIDS awareness, etc.). I wouldnt call him a favorite, althou that Apocalypse one is kinda hot.

I think his grpahics are very effective and to the point for those subjects

That's true, not too sure about "very effective" though. I've seen this man's work before and honestly, I don't get why it's so "prized". Maybe I'm over-exaggerating but it's really plain and it does nothing for me. I don't know... sometimes I just think people are giving out too much credit. It's straight to the point but damn, boring shit. Then again I have no experience in the art world or whatever. Ugh... Unless dude is doing this with his left prosethic foot while playing Yo Yo Ma's version of 2Pac's "Thug's Mansion" on a cassio piano (yes, it has to be a cassio. they have a violin setting) then I am not impressed.

stupid bitch.

i guess 20-something years later it's kind of hard to see how this stuff is cool and graffiti-related and whatnot because he doesn't still write due to dying and he doesn't bite twist. well, i think keith haring made cool shit. he was at the forefront of the safe sex and crack is wack movements when they were most important in the 80s. he did this sweet like, 8 panel mural in the chicago o'hare airport with a bunch of kids from different age levels that looks really cool. he did his thing. can you blame him? i mean, did you get invited to paint the berlin wall or influence decades of artists? Although yeah, when the only images you see are that dog and the two guys hugging over and over, it can get boring. he did other stuff tooo. like other kinds of paintings and drawings and huge sculptures you can play on. i think he's kinda sweet.

I think a lot of you are missing the point on Keith Haring. He got up in Subway terminals during the day, in front of people, illegally for the sake of his art. Sound familiar? By definition, the guy was a writer. His subject matter was different but his approach all the same. Much like Twist he conveyed a message in all his imagery which made him appealing to even the most simple person. He became a pop-icon due to fame and grants. His art and passion still the same he created what he wanted and always conveyed his messages. Yea, his work is simple and boring to most but some could say the same about your throw-ups or tags.

It's an old saying but definitely applies:

Art is in the eye of the beholder...

Personally, not a huge fan of his work, but I recognize the passion.

• 1 month later...

Even though majority of it was legal, the Keith Haring street stuff i've seen was pretty dope and innovative. I read somewhere he was given a car by some company to just paint on, and all he did was draw the same character over and over. He also painted the side of a building or two bearing messages of hope and art appreciation. His subject matter of AIDS awareness and drug use also add to the impact he left behind. Like his work or not, believe he was a writer or not- you gotta give the guy respect for what he did for art.

i quite like harings stuff, just the simple icon style. plus publicly accessible graffiti to convey messages to a wider audience than just writers, which to me, is one of the most grassroots methods in which to "publish" your work. it just interests me.

-cheers.

i was always under the impression that his "chalk drawings" were impermanent and a "safe" form of graffiti...i was wrong about that and have to give more credit to his efforts. I think his street work definately contributed to his success and most art history books mention him as part of the "subway graffiti movement" and that still bugs me...in my mind (until convinced otherwise) he should not be lumped into history with writers...street artist sure, graffiti artist, why not...but he was not a writer. my opinion.

I can dig some of his drawings and certainly respect his love of the sport...anyone who's willing to take a risk and put their work out illegally where joe citizen has to see and on some level respond to it can't be half bad...just wish his work had a little more diversity and had he lived longer maybe it would have.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

KHsubway.jpg

reminders of old new york. i appreciate what he did, and like many have already said, i'm not a huge fan, but respect is due for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by gatita@Nov 10 2004, 06:01 PM

I guess growing up in NY Im so used to seeing Keith Haring everywhere.. from sides of buildings to his shop on Orchard to a handball court in Bx/upper Manhattan. I think its poppy, I think it looks good and is graphically pleasing. Is it graphic design or fine art? Im not one to say, Im sure thats a big argument about Haring. I think he promoted a lot of good things while he was alive, and I think his grpahics are very effective and to the point for those subjects (drug use, AIDS awareness, etc.). I wouldnt call him a favorite, althou that Apocalypse one is kinda hot.

It's far from graphic design as it's more illustrative. But I like keith haring. Actually I saw some pics there that I've never seen before. Has a message that many graf artists lack. They usually just stick with lettering and that's as far as they go. Did keith haring use spray paint at all?