Keeping spots chill

Guest cracked ass

Guest cracked ass

This issue obviously doesn't get addressed often enough, because I keep hearing about dumb shit going down and spots getting blown. All the veteran heads can skip this thread, except to add any minor points to think about or incidents where violation of these concepts brought heat to them personally. Anyone fairly new to trains should listen up. I'm going to talk at length about a bunch of related points.

THE MAIN ISSUE.

The main issue here is longevity of chill spots to paint freights. Any sane writer who is not a malicious shithead must agree that keeping a chill spot to piece freights is a good thing. The primary thing that blows spots is letting people (rail workers, cops, joe hero who walks his dog near the tracks and hates "taggers") know that painting gets done at that spot.

WITNESSES.

SOME rail workers hate graff and will report a spot getting hit to superiors/railcops/regular police. SOME passerby civilians hate graff and will call the cops about it if they see it being done. ALL cops are obviously down to nail writers. So: a significant percentage of people who see freights being painted, or can tell from evidence that they were painted right there, will take action. Maybe it's only ten or twenty percent, but so what? Why take the chance? This means 1) strive to be seen by zero people and 2) leave NO evidence around the train you just painted to clue people in that it was painted THERE instead of rolling in from someplace else. (This seems pretty basic, but there are plenty of people on this board who don't grasp it yet.)

DON'T GET SEEN.

Again, pretty obvious right? Not to some. To avoid being seen, paint only in a spot screened from most directions by trees, buildings, etc. Do not paint standing on a live track, because another train or one of those quiet, fast utility trucks on train wheels could roll on you. Remember, EVEN IF YOU CAN GET AWAY SUCCESSFULLY, IF YOU GOT SPOTTED PAINTING, YOU ATTRACTED ATTENTION AND HEAT TO THE SPOT. That fucks it up for you, which is only as bad as you think it is, but if other people paint that spot, you have fucked it up for them too, and they will be pissed off, cross you out, beat your head in, etc.

HISTORY/SENIORITY

If you're new to trains, the thing you need to understand is that if you find a spot to paint them, it may already be a regular spot for other heads in your area. They don't want their spot blown. They will not even like you painting there at all, because you have yet to prove you're smart enough not to fuck up the spot with dumb behavior. Also, they may have set their own limits on how many cars they'll hit per line that gets parked there, because hitting several trains in a row is a big clue to workers that painting occurs right there. When you piece there, you are possibly fucking with their rhythm.

This is not to say, don't hit any freight spot without permission. But do 2 things: one, observe the "chillness" advice I'm dropping here; and two, if senior heads confront you about painting their spot, respect what they have to say, whether it's "find another spot" or "don't paint the track side" or "don't hit more than 2 cars per line". If you don't respect the heads who have been hitting that spot before you, then welcome to beef.

THE DON'TS.

DON'T paint several cars in a row, or tag or bomb whole lines. Workers know that trains are always getting broken up and rearranged, and the exact same artwork on many cars in a row gives away that it was done right there.

DON'T leave empty cans at the spot, or get lazy about tossing them just a few feet out of sight. They will be seen by workers and noted. Dead giveaway.

DON'T test out your paint on the rocks, wall, ground, or rails right by the train. Another dead giveaway that painting happens right there. (I test my caps/cans on some unrelated part of the SAME car I am painting: the wheels or suspension, a pipe that hangs down, whatever.)

DON'T tag or bomb the walls, buildings, electrical boxes, trees or anything else near the yard, tracks, layup or wherever, unless the area is already crushed anyway. Another dead giveaway.

DON'T leave any other evidence besides the piece you just painted. Take your dirty glove away with you, throw it away somewhere else. If a can gushed or dripped on the rocks by the track, toss those rocks away, bury them, scatter em around, whatever.

DON'T paint over the numbers on freights - weight limits, reporting marks, hazmat info, or the little black box which is usually near the right end of the car as viewed from the side. This doesn't necessarily give a clue as to where the car was painted, but makes workers more interested in busting someone's ass. It also forces the railroad company to take the car out of service long enough to get those numbers restamped back on there, they are required by law to have that info displayed, and if the costs of repainting numbers add up enough they'll hire more railroad security and put heat on everyone.

RECON.

One thing you should do after finding a spot, but before painting it, is go down there with no paint on you, scope out the whole area: trees, paths, fences, escape routes, and not just the physical layout but stay awhile and/or check in several times a week to find out when it gets switched, what time local businesses close for the night, when trains go by, stuff like that that clues you in to a good time/way to hit it up.

CONCLUSION.

The goal is to not let anyone know that trains get painted at a certain spot. You want workers to think that any pieces on that line rolled in from somewhere else. And even if you do everything right, and they smell the fresh paint of the pieces, you might be okay anyway because, since you stayed off the numbers, didn't leave cans for them to trip over, etc. they won't care enough to report it.

Following these fairly simple guidelines keeps spots chill, avoids beef, and extends the life of the freight scene.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cracked ass

Chill out video, this wasn't just for you. There's plenty of newbies out there blundering around North America pissing people off by accident, just because nobody told them how to go about it. No harm in an early screwup in your career, but once you've heard how to do it, do it right.

Also, be aware that any place any train or train car stops for 20 minutes or longer is considered a "spot" to experienced heads, who regularly recon miles of track in their area looking for unusual opportunities.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

don't be afraid to skip weeks/days etc., if they see the same pieces, and the same handstyles, every week, they could catch on. don't put yourself on a schedule to paint, if you do happen to get seen every so often going in, a person can say, watch such and such a spot on this day in between these hours. and FIND GOOD PARKING!

Guest fr8lover

i have the luxury of having a large area, with a good amount of track, but usually only one train there at a time. i can take my time if i paint or spot, and nobody is around to give a shit...once in awhile a jogger comes by on a trail, i simply try to duck or the like if i see them...

uh...i'm guilty of that. but that's coming from a city of a hundred some yards.

good job crackity crack

[This message has been edited by rotten (edited 11-30-2000).]

i'm guilty of that as well. um...just one requestion about the numbers, maybe telling people doesn't get the point across, a picture would be nice. could someone post one to the bench.

some cars are covered with shit making it impossible to paint w/o going over something. until further notice i'll stay off of such cars.

Guest cracked ass

I'll get a little more specific on the numbers. Let's say you're doing a Railbox, all you need to leave alone is this:

RBOX 32577

LD LMT 158400

LT WT 61600

Then on the far right side of the car is a small black box with just a few letters and numbers in it like AB, LUB 3-98...save that box.

Also necessary is the small box, which is usually up high enough to avoid, which says PLATE C (or F, or H, or some letter).

Hoppers and tankers present additional problems, they have valve psi, loading/unloading instructions, and on tankers there's hazmat info and the CHEMTREC 1-800 number. I try to avoid all of it. If I'm in a crabby mood I'll say fuck the small stuff on a hopper, but I don't touch anything printed on a hazmat tanker. Tanks I usually stick to small stamps, bombs, scrap pieces, even just tossups or tags.

Stuff I don't sweat, and will go over on any car, include 2IN HF COMP SHOE, 60K, REPAINTED 2-95 (which is kind of ironic), door dimensions, little stickers that warn workers not to let the door fall on their head when they open the car, and Jesus Saves streaks.

also watch for army boxes, they come around everyonce in a while, and are filled with lots of explosive stuff yes i have hit them but all you need is a little spark of anything and bye bye yard bye bye body etc... what other freight tips can i give, dress like a bum if painting in the day time then you can camp out like your blitzed if you get strolled upon, hmmm ummm if you go in the afternoon or morning and there is still light out or even at night the freight collector/train buff excuse works well dress nicely bring a camera know your train shit, impress the workers hang out about ten feet away from the tracks after they say its okay to take pics dont be an idiot, another wonderful cover is the girl... do it bring a girl hopefully she paints so she wont complain the entire time that she is cold and wwants to go to sleep... but if anyone asks you can just make out with her and say she has trainyard fantasies... this works well for streets too... a wheelchair works on the streets too... what else can i say. be smart... oh yeah never ever ever crawl under a stopped train, they settle and move sometims and if they get humped when you are under it you die... climb over them using the steps and ladders provided like the workers do...

[jober.jelosee]

• 2 weeks later...

thought i would share a way i think is a good way to find a "spot" this might work good for me, just because i live in the middle of nowhere, but iv found some dope place to paint, by following the tracks out of the yard, till they merge down to single track, alot of times, trains will stop at the beggining of the single track, and wait for a train coming the opposite way to be clear of the single track so there is no collisions. iv had lines stop for almost 45 mins, good painting ops. If i read cracks yard safty correctly, that is called "going in the hole" just be carful, cause you dont know when its gonna move, the workers might get off, bums might get on, and the train going the other way can go flyin by at a pretty fast speed, im sure iv seen em go by at like 60, so if your on that side of the stoped train, keep a good idea of whats comin down the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Cracked has mentioned many important thing which should be read over again. so Im gonna attempt to bump all this back up.

Thanks for taking the time to do that for us.

question: Any good tips on stashing a bike at a yard? So I dont have to lock it up, and so I can access its quickley. I guess im asking about good places to hide it. Some places have soundwalls .. Any other suggestions?

[This message has been edited by B_As_In_Bot (edited 12-23-2000).]

NONE OF THESE RULES APPLY IN THE CONFINES OF NEW YORK CITY!

ESPECIALLY THIS ONE!

if senior heads confront you about painting their spot, respect what they have to say, whether it's "find another spot" or "don't paint the track side" or "don't hit more than 2 cars per line". If you don't respect the heads who have been hitting that spot before you, then welcome to beef.

I WONT NAME NAMES, BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD NOT TO BURN THE 'XXX-UNNAMED CREW'S "yard"'

hahahahA, BOY DID I LAUGH MY ASS OFF

DON'T paint several cars in a row, or tag or bomb whole lines. Workers know that trains are always getting broken up and rearranged, and the exact same artwork on many cars in a row gives away that it was done right there.

DON'T leave empty cans at the spot, or get lazy about tossing them just a few feet out of sight. They will be seen by workers and noted. Dead giveaway.

DON'T test out your paint on the rocks, wall, ground, or rails right by the train. Another dead giveaway that painting happens right there. (I test my caps/cans on some unrelated part of the SAME car I am painting: the wheels or suspension, a pipe that hangs down, whatever.)

DON'T tag or bomb the walls, buildings, electrical boxes, trees or anything else near the yard, tracks, layup or wherever, unless the area is already crushed anyway. Another dead giveaway.

DON'T leave any other evidence besides the piece you just painted. Take your dirty glove away with you, throw it away somewhere else. If a can gushed or dripped on the rocks by the track, toss those rocks away, bury them, scatter em around, whatever.

DON'T paint over the numbers on freights - weight limits, reporting marks, hazmat info, or the little black box which is usually near the right end of the car as viewed from the side. This doesn't necessarily give a clue as to where the car was painted, but makes workers more interested in busting someone's ass. It also forces the railroad company to take the car out of service long enough to get those numbers restamped back on there, they are required by law to have that info displayed, and if the costs of repainting numbers add up enough they'll hire more railroad security and put heat on everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

this is loosely related since this topic is to instruct new comers to freights and what not, but how long should you be bombing on walls and what not before you come to the tracks, i'm obviously not ready, but curious on this issue... thanks.

------------------

- prob -

Guest cracked ass

It's really up to you, but REMEMBER: your freights can run a long, long time, and they will travel the nation. So if your early freights are wack, you are advertising all over the place how bad you are, and it's unlikely you'll ever be able to find and go over the thing like you can with your wall pieces that embarass you. On steel, the toy legacy lasts and lasts.

So, rock walls till you feel comfortable and confident with your style and favorite equipment setup, then research spots and go for it. Heed the yard safety stuff and this thread in particular.

Unless, of course, you're in NYC, where nothing lasts, everybody does whatever they please, and beef is king. The freight spots there are all fried anyway, and still get done despite being fried.

Guest painted black

please don't do that cracked. not like it's the most important chunk of information to be handed over the internet but it's the point behind it. tease, you should ask him this in an email. i can't stand the "yard" section on this board because it blatantly gives out techniques and ways of getting over to everybody and anybody who reads this board. too much has already been said, and you think it hasn't been noted? stuff like how to do billboards, what to look like when bombing, etc etc...that kind of stuff you learn from experience, observation, or by word of mouth in person. i know this will get overlooked, and i don't mean to rag on anyone, but just remember that when you give out tips on this board you're giving them out to everybody.

Archived