KaBar

Smart

So... Why aren't you writing? You think deeply, you have a wealth of personal experiance, you're articulate... so...

You have the potential to be a fabulous fiction writer, perhaps you need a few classes to show you the intricacies of 'writing fiction' but...

I mean, far be it for me to say, I get semi-constant pressure from published cats but... thay understand it takes a while for the egg to hatch... not sure they understand that my egg is musical but... still, you could do that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yea kabar has always got them stickies on lock, the survival one and the one in trainspotting which i cant recall the name right now, but yea man you been through like everything...take them classes or what ever smart was talkin about and get to the writin, at least make some dough for your thoughts, ya know

He prefers helping the lost little wee ones instead.

If you decide to write - dont just do fiction. Do non-fiction as well. People love to live through other peoples experiances, especially if they were true.

He sure could be rakin' it in man, on just the stuff thats in his head! Imagine if the man had kept a diary..I'd read it 3 times before putting it down.

Screenplay

Actually, I am writing. I just finished the rough draft on a 90 minute screenplay. One of my buddies from work who is also a college professor who moonlights as a psych tech is editing it for me. We're hot to do a DV movie.

ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT DV? I need to know what kind of cameras and equipment is best. Somebody told me a Canon X-something or another is like the industry standard. We also have a Hi-8 camera and a VHS-c camera available, but even though I'm no expert, I know enough to realize they aren't high enough quality to do the job. What I need is somebody who is an experienced DP or a filmmaking school graduate or at least an advanced student.

nah man... baby steps

keep up on the screenplay but, either use 'test scenes' or write other vignettes to film with whatever you have, trust me, you can have about 80% of the fun and quality with anything commercially available...

later, when you have a bit of a handle on filming, rent the equipment first... seriously, you shouldn't have to buy a camera for a couple years... or at least no sooner than 8 months...

actually... I would suggest concentrating on the writing and then pitching it to a company but... BELCH

Still... I wonder if you'd really be happy with what you produced screen wiise... I think of you as the ultimate defender of imagination and the privilege of each reader to develop their own 'reality' fr any story...

Well, you certainly have a point there. The human imagination is unmatched by it's art, even the very best, most talented artists usually fall far short of what they imagined. There is something very compelling about films, though. I love films, especially foreign films.

I have a small collection of amateur-made videos of trainhopping, made by various people, that I never get tired of watching. I want to make some DV films of my own. And owning a first-rate DV camera is not a problem--I could probably swing a loan without any strain. I figure as long as it's less than $5,000, I could swing it. That's a lot less than, say, a decent used pick-up truck. There's more to it, though. To do quality DV work, you need experience and knowledge about the computer editing programs. That's what makes DV so fascinating. Once you start editing, you can just do anything.

Ever see the movie "Spy Kids?" Go rent it. ALL the special effects were done in the computer. It's an outstanding movie, considering the rock-bottom, cheap ass budget they had.

"Blair Witch Project" is a classic example, although it was also filmed partially on Super16, I think. They spent $25,000 making it, but it made like $8 million. Sure wish I had a credit card in that hat.

No no... I TOTALLY understand that it's financially within your grasp... I'm saying, cut your teeth on the rugged stuff...

and there is SO much more to good film making... lighting is a school of it's own but... as I said, I think it's in your grasp but, I encourage you to spend as much time as possible exploring different techniques and routes before you commit to any financial obligation...

And, by this I mean, try using 'house' lights to film a couple scenes, try to get 'compelling' b/w images (yeah, it's just color with a computer filter to remove the color but...)... set a few simple goals with simple cameras... then expand...

I talk to a bunch of musicians, well, record them and stuff sometimes but... I hear alot of 'if I had this pedal or this effect'... I try to call everyone back to the 20's when there weren't effects or pedals, or even electric guitars but... some VERY compelling music came from that era so... it CAN be done

i'm a film graduate and the 1st misconception that they clear up is don't waste your own money on a camera. there should be a film fellowship somewhere close to you and you can rent a video camera from them. for video you really don't need to worry too much about lights. in film its essential. a basic light scheme is a 3 point setup. one light in the foreground mid to high height filtered abit used to represent a light source, a 2nd light mid height filtered alot used to cut the density of the first light, and a small light low in position filtered the most used to light the background and cut out the multiple shadows.

as for screenplays i'd say definitely submit something to someone. just be aware of the strict screenplay format that they have, they won't read it otherwise. i think they may even have software that specializes in the format. its quite a bitch to learn. my screenwriters class was almost purely format checking rather than even reading the content of the script. choose friends that you're taking your characters from, record their voice, and put them into words. dissect how they speak and use that to develop characters. people all speak differently and putting bits and pieces of realism into each character will give them depth.

i saved you four years of your life and $40,000

:)

I just graduated from a program focusing on the more production end of things. I was using a 4 year old laptop (about $3,000 at the time I bought it) to do professional quality production work. I could composite, edit, key, color correct, add in special effects, and score from this one machine. You really can make good, quality work at the 'prosumer' financial level. Apple now has it's iMovie, iDVD software. I haven't looked into it, but I hear it really good for beginners.

I'm not too knowin in the hardware aspect. We did everything very low budget, ghetto rigged. Important things to have though are good lighting, a good mic, and at least a 3 ccd camera. I worked soley in DV so I don't know much about film (remember, low budget). But they are coming out with some really impressive filters that make DV look like film.

also, like serum said, look around for places to rent a camera. Mine were supplied by the school. But before school I was working with public access TV, and they had much better camera/equipment. All I had to do was take some classes before I could take out their stuff, which is needed anyway b/c thats where you learn how to use it.

If you're interested I could recommend some very good, foundation level books about shooting, lighting, color, etc.... all the important stuff