KaBar Slacker Pics

KaBar

On Monday,Southern and I went down to a couple of the jungles I frequent to get some video of trains and eat lunch. He shot some digital stills and I thought you guys might like to know what the Old Man looks like. It was hot as hell, the skeeters were attacking in full force and we were dousing ourselves in Deep Woods Off and building up the fire to run the hungry little bastards off. Lunch was good--macaroni, cheese and Spam, topped off with a little paisano. Then we went down to T&NO Junction and I showed him where the first hobo jungle I ever saw used to be and shot some more video of a BNSF consist heading to Galveston out of the New South Yards. It was a really outstanding day.

http://freephoto-i.net/users/southern/kabar1.jpg/'>

http://freephoto-i.net/users/southern/kabar2.jpg/'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest blood as ink

i want macaroni and cheese...well minus the spam.

you remind me of my friends grandpa...he used to work on trains actully...a bit different but close enough...weird eh?

kabar-

if you kill southernkido, im gonna come get you! :D HAAHAHAHAAA

naw man, thats real cool what you did... showing ole dude tha ropes... thanks for sharing all your tales and info in trainspotting to... much appreciated :D

teaser;)

Well, I sort of debated with myself for a while about whether or not it was the height of self-centeredness to publish photographs of myself on 12 oz. But I thought maybe putting up an image would lend some visual backbone to all my yammering about trains, tramp culture, etc., etc. I really regret not taking more pictures of stuff when I was younger. Back then, I felt that I was there to live life, not to record it. I didn't really consider that eventually the moment would pass, and that someday I would want to be able to reflect upon it, and to show it to people and to be able to prove up on some of my stories.

So my advice to you young bloods is to go ahead and take a lot of pictures. It's true, a lot of them will be spoiled and out-of-focus, but some will become icons.

My Dad has a picture of me, taken when I was in the Marines in 1977, hanging in his kitchen. I was laying up on top of a six-by truck on top of a load of 155mm artillery shells in wooden ammunition crates. It was about dawn, and we had been moving all night in a military convoy up the Delta Corridor, and watching artillery strikes out in the Area light up the mountains. I was dead fucking tired, and pretty much hating Marine Corps life. My Dad is so proud of that picture. He says it shows character. All I see is a dead-ass-tired Marine who wants breakfast and some sleep. But he sees his son, serving honorably.

Southern and I had a lot of fun. Too bad we didn't think to get a shot of lunch cooking. And, hey, I like Spam, LOL. At least, I like the kind that comes in cans!

BTW--look closely at that black and white shot, at the dog chain. If you look close, you can see the "z-hook" sitting in a chain link, where we took the gunboat off the fire.

i had a grandfather.

you look a good bit like he did.

he was in the korean war, and had a few stories as well, nothing like what you tell though.

i remember the only thing he ever mentioned about trains was one day sitting at a crossing, i was looking at the graffiti that helped influence me to one day become a writer and he said something along the lines of "the stuff they write on the trains is a way to tell when people are coming to town."

when i didnt know anything about hopping and streaks, i thought it was just something he had heard and was just telling me, but maybe i misunderstood and he was saying about the tramps and hoppers coming or having been there.

i was like 5?

the few stories i got to hear from him were funny ones about when he was in korea, serious situations, but you know how grandpa's can make stuff funny.

anyway, kabar, hope to meet you when i visit.

peace.

I'll have to get Southern to teach me about digital cameras and posting on the net. Ever once in a while, I get a three-day weekend. Just recently, I got a "bonus" at work that consisted of a couple of paid days off. I need to combine those two things and take a week and go hopping. Hell, yeah.

Kabar you look just like my neighbor across the street. He used to work for the railroads until he got hurt. He's into trains alot. Trains show every weekend, overalls everywhere, loves taking flicks, and has a beard just like yours. I think you two might be related.

oh yeah and nice pics man.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived