K-Mart Filing for Bankruptcy Protection

Pistol

Causght this on the news late last night. K-mart is filing for bankruptcy to help protect itself from creditors. There plans are to keep all stores open at least for now. But they plan to close down some stores in the future. They said this is the result of cutthroat business from Walmart and Target. I know if the Kmart's around my way close down I'm stocking up on Rusto liquidation style.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Over here in California there was this store called Montgomery Wards. They just went out a few years back. But Target bought alot of the old stores. Right now in my city they are doing some major redevelopment. The old Montgomery Wards is being turned into a Target. And across from the Kmart by my house there is a new shopping center with a brand new Walmart being built. It's gonna be pretty crazy and unrealistic to think a Kmart,Target, and Walmart are going to be all within 2 miles of each other and still gonna make a profit that is acceptable to the heads up top to keep open.

By the way paint at Kmart was expensive as fuck.

Wal-Mart has some pretty unethical business practices. They will build and open a store (mostly on the outskirts of an established area), and for the first few weeks they will keep prices really low (sometimes even below the cost of the product ... they do this a lot with milk and bread). Once they start to get an influx of people from all over the area coming to the Wal-Mart instead of Joe Mom and Pop's Grocery, they slowly raise the prices. In the meanwhile, Joe Mom and Pop's Grocery has to raise their prices in order to stay afloat, causing even less people to shop there. When Wal-Mart finally puts all of their major competitors out of business, they raise the prices even more (because now they basically have a monopoly of the area). Then they use all the property that they own to try and fool Regular Joe. When Regular Joe realizes what's going on to his town, he becomes more aware of where he shops. "I'll go to a local hardware store, instead of buying my new hammer at Wal-Mart. I think they just opened up a Bud's Hardware around the corner." Well guess what, buddy ... Wal-Mart owns Bud's Harware, Lowes Hardware, Sam's Club, and a handful of other retailers.

What really sucks is when they do this in small towns. There's a town near here where Wal-Mart opened up a store, and with in a few years, every business on "Main Street" had turned into a bed and breakfast or and antique shop. Now the town relies almost entirely on tourism and traffic tickets (although in Texas there is a law that limits the amount of a cities income that can be based on traffic tickets).

Well I say, "FUCK THEM!" for putting my beloved K-Mart out of business. Now I'm gonna have to find a new place to get my Dickies for cheap.

Actually there are a couple in Texas. I think that the guy that started one of the biggest anti-Wal-Mart organizations is from Texas. The city I was talking about before (the one that was "invaded") is Fredericksberg (sp? ... the town where Enchanted Rock State Park is located). Have you ever been down there?

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Alkaline wears Dickies!!! yeah!

Bens are where its at though.

KMART is gangtsa!

I just hate it that they have a shitty

selection, and their Dutchboy paint sucks.

Fuck that lil dutch kid. WalMart paint is

good for some things. About that

corporate BS. That sucks. But WalMArt

got cheap ass Juices and snacks.

I usually get water jugs there, 69¢, on

a hot ass painting day, fuck yeah.

Target had gallon paint for $1 last time

I went through there. Fuck it, I cant wait

for the clearance prices either, I could use

a few Ultra Flat Blacks, and some new

freshly creased out dickies. Simon ese. :mexican:

Pistol, they JUST closed down our

Montgomery Wards. They are building

a Target there now. MWs went bankrupt too.

Wal-Mart Watch

There are others ... do a search

Richardson, TX

September 13, 1999

You won't find this video at Blockbuster, but Wal-Mart is hoping its video will change some minds in Richardson, TX, a community of roughly 80,000 people. According to reports from local sprawl-busters in this city 17 miles north of downtown Dallas, Wal-Mart has helped finance a group called "Concerned Citizens for Quality Growth," which has been promoting a 220,000 square foot Wal-Mart supercenter on 19.4 acres of land that is surrounded by residential properties.

On May 4th, the Richardson Planning and Zoning board voted 6-0 to deny Wal-Mart's superstore project. The neighboring Duck Creek Homeowners Association voted 343-3 to oppose Wal-Mart, and turned out as many as 600 people at the P&Z hearing in May.

Wal-Mart has appealed the P&Z vote to the City Council. Because of the P&Z vote, and because more than 20% of the abutting land is owned by people opposed to the project, the City Council must pass the superstore on a supermajority vote of 6-1. If two people on the Council oppose the project, the P&Z vote will be upheld.

Wal-Mart apparently decided to step up its public relations effort running up to the Council vote, sending a mailing to many area residents and informing them that they could order a video. One resident who asked to see the tape, said it was delivered to his door by a teenager. The 10 minute tape extolled the virtues of Wal-Mart, and made general references to the spectre of what would happen if low-income housing was built instead of a Wal-Mart. One resident said he considered the video "race-baiting."

The one on elbow is gone. It turned into a fruit market. Now it;s a hardware store. And it looks like that will probly be going out of business soon too. I live like 5 minutes from there. Ooooo.... Guess It's all about location......

I remember Woodwards too. That's Wal Mart now, right? Aaaaah....memories

Archived