Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Juvenile Death Penalty Ruled Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'News' started by [email protected]#$%, Mar 1, 2005.

1. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

High court: Juvenile death penalty unconstitutional
    Tuesday, March 1, 2005 Posted: 1:10 PM EST (1810 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that the Constitution forbids the execution of killers who were under 18 when they committed their crimes, ending a practice used in 19 states.

The 5-4 decision throws out the death sentences of about 70 juvenile murderers and bars states from seeking to execute minors for future crimes.

The executions, the court said, violate the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

The ruling continues the court's practice of narrowing the scope of the death penalty, which justices reinstated in 1976. The court in 1988 outlawed executions for those 15 and younger when they committed their crimes. Three years ago justices banned executions of the mentally retarded.

Tuesday's ruling prevents states from making 16- and 17-year-olds eligible for execution.

"The age of 18 is the point where society draws the line for many purposes between childhood and adulthood. It is, we conclude, the age at which the line for death eligibility ought to rest," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote.

Juvenile offenders have been put to death in recent years in only a few other countries, including Iran, Pakistan, China and Saudi Arabia. Kennedy cited international opposition to the practice.

"It is proper that we acknowledge the overwhelming weight of international opinion against the juvenile death penalty, resting in large part on the understanding that the instability and emotional imbalance of young people may often be a factor in the crime," he wrote...

Justices were called on to draw an age line in death cases after Missouri's highest court overturned the death sentence given to Christopher Simmons, who was 17 when he kidnapped a neighbor, hog-tied her and threw her off a bridge in 1993. Prosecutors say he planned the burglary and killing of Shirley Crook and bragged that he could get away with it because of his age.

...The 19 states allow executions for people under age 18 are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Texas and Virginia.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/01/scotus.d...y.ap/index.html

2. Ckit

Ckit Member

thank god. hopefully the death penalty as a whole goes next.

3. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

yea fuck the death penalty.
    the government could totally just fabricate an lie about your life and have you executed for it!*

*Speculating.

4. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

I personally think they should be sentenced life in prison rather than be put to death. I still think lethal injection is one soft ass death penalty.

5. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

plus with all the legal hoops they have to jump through to get someone killed it would be a cost savings to let these guys rot in cell.

6. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

Good. Thats one problem down, only 175,182,376,220 problems to go. On the real though, thats a good thing. The system doesnt fuck around with juveniles even for petty shit. this country needs to well, not "soften up" on crime all together but maybe focus its energies on on "hard crimes", maybe we wouldnt be locking up as many people as we are now, i live in california so i know about that shit.

7. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I'm waiting for bobthebuilder to come in here and say some stupid shit about how we should kill minors. I'm surprised this would happen under the Bush administration.

8. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I think if you kill someone (except in the case of self defence) you should get some kind of punishment, but for fucks sake if someone sells like a little bag of drugs they get like 30 years in prison. That's totally fucked up.

9. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

Yeah it's real nice seeing my state as one that executes minors.

10. Ckit

Ckit Member

our system relies too much on punishment and not enough on education. if you dont give someone a way to get out of their "life of crime" they arent going to stop.

11. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

it costs MORE to execute someone than to imprison them for life.

...the cost of keeping a 25-year-old inmate for 50 years at present amounts to $805,000. Assuming 75 years as an average life span, the $805,000 figure would be the cost of life in prison. So roughly it's costing us $2 million more to execute someone than it would cost to keep them in jail for life. This is just the dollar cost, the externalities will be discussed in a moment....

http://www.mindspring.com/~phporter/econ.html

12. villain

villain Veteran Member

Some of these prisons make money off head counts. And some of them are like wage slave factories.

13. AW

AW New Jack

Wake up people. Are there a bunch of tree hugging liberals in here?

The death penalty is a great idea!

IF some stupid ass minor (or an adult) wants to go rob a store for some easy money, and ends up killing someone, that little dumbshit needs to DIE!!!

What if he killed your sister, mom, grandma, girlfriend, wife, son, daughter??? Wouldn't you want that son of bitch dead? I know I would!

We spend to much money on housing a bunch of criminals anyway.
    Prison isn't supposed to be fun.

I also think there needs to be a major reform in the educational system in America! That's where the problem starts in the first place. I don't think that the rich areas need to have better schools, but what teacher would want to teach at a school where he/she is disrespected by the students and possibly attacke or shot?

People need to take responsability for there actions.

14. ERIZENO

ERIZENO Senior Member

it costs MORE to execute someone than to imprison them for life.

...the cost of keeping a 25-year-old inmate for 50 years at present amounts to $805,000. Assuming 75 years as an average life span, the $805,000 figure would be the cost of life in prison. So roughly it's costing us $2 million more to execute someone than it would cost to keep them in jail for life. This is just the dollar cost, the externalities will be discussed in a moment....

http://www.mindspring.com/~phporter/econ.html
    [post=3854455]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    So you agree with me ... good.
    I didn’t mean to leave out "in a" cell but I liked the way it read, almost like hell but cell...
    To me it’s about my tax dollars ... straight up. Save my money and make that fuck miserable in a cell for good, no parole, no good behavior, just a cube of cement and 3 squares a day. Fuck 'em that’s worse to me that letting them off and taking their life.

And don’t get me wrong I am not opposed to the death penalty, but it’s a debate that will never end. If we keep it I think we should go back to public killings.. Maybe bring the guillotine back or fuck it even hangings...

15. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

I don't think revenge, which you would likely hold synonomous with justice, is the means to healing for victims or for a better society. To kill in retaliation for killing is to make ones guilt mute, our system is built on the notion that the system itself is one that has errors or is open to the influence of corruption - hense 'innocent until proven guilty', the three branch system, tiered courts and an array of mechanisms designed to keep the state locally and federally honest. If we take a flawed individual and kill him at at the hands of a flawed system than we are hypocrits before anything else and have placed the state as ideal and above its citizens and its own admitted inherant errors. We stop our own direction towards improvement as a just and equal society when we decide that the state is perfect enough that it has the right to the ultimate and irreversable death of fits own. Your arguments are all emotional, but I'll say if anyone close to me was killed I would not wish them death in any real way, how bout that?...and the last quote (in line with the rest of your writing there) seems to imply that we should kill criminals because we spend too much money and prison is fun, did I get you wrong? We could always drop some narcotics laws, or divert funds into other more productive systems...but I don't know, maybe the criminals enjoy the fun time so they'd just find another way in to the arcade which is jail