justifying ignorance.

seeking

so im watching some ridiculous show right now called 'quite frankly'. it's some psudo-round table discussion, lead by a guy who's name i forget, but who comes across as a 2006 montel williams, trying to be angry and black, but being just a bit too manicured and proper. this is the first time i've seen it, so i can't be sure if it always deals with 'black issues', but todays discussion is about some comments phil jackson (pro basketball coach) made about many of the players presenting themselves as 'rappers' or 'thugs' and not dressing properly when giving press conferences and representing their teams. this fellas guests are roy jones jr (who is dumb as a fucking rock), ed lover, who looks creepy as hell, armstrong williams (playing the role of out of touch 'house nigger'), snoop dog, playing...well, snoop dog, and a pre-taped segment with master P.

first i'd like to comment on the fact that i'm constantly amazed at how ignorant and unelequent 'rappers' tend to be. for people who make their living playing with words, the vast majority of them can't put a proper sentence together to save their fucking life. they can't respond to questions without propping up their answers with 15 current rap catch phrases and they're so busy talking in circles that they rarely make any kind of valid point. i don't know how you can be a business mogul, expect to be taken seriously, and still not be able to pronounce 'ask', or know which verb tense to use in which sentence. this is elementary school shit we're talking about, it's not rocket science.

anyway, the issue is that the nba is upset because instead of wearing suits, or 'respectable' clothes and presenting themselves in a professional manner, many players are acting like they're selling crack on the corner. apparently this is a complete affront to the black community according to the majority of the panel, save for williams and master p. who said bluntly 'that's your boss, the guy who signs your check, asking you to follow his dress code, that's all there is to it'. those weren't his exact words, but i captured the jist. ed lover claimed that 'lebron james is a hip hop baby, he never knew a time when it didn't exist. he is being the only thing he knows how to be'. apparently in ed's mind that was some sort of justification. by that same logic, one can assume ed would find it similarly 'racist' to fire lebron from his new job at mcdonalds for showing up in his old burger king uniform, because apparently black people are unable to addapt to such monumental changes as the 'dress shirt' and his associate 'mr. tie'

i know i've devoted a whole lot of words and kind of presented this as some sort of seminar, but the point is really this: why the fuck are people so retarded? why is this even an issue? if there was a rash of white basketball players showing up to press conferences in cut off shirts, mud stained blue jeans and cowboy hats, i'm certain the nba would be just as likely to take action. why is it percieved as 'racist' to expect your employe to conduct themself in a professional manner when they're representing your business (and being payed millions of dollars a year to do so)?

on a slightly related topic, many of the guests brought up the fact that the media never covers the positive aspects of hip hop. the rappers themselves claim that they need to talk about the violence and drugs that go on in black communities, because otherwise white america would simply ignore their existence. then in the same breath, they lambast the media for only talking about the violence and drugs in the black community. obviously no one can deny that the media does tend to focus on those things, but since that is pretty much unarguable, it kind of destroys the basis of their entire reason for existing, doesn't it? and furthermore, when pressed for these 'positive' aspects that are being left out, which incidentally are also being left out of most hip hop albums themselves, the only answer i've ever heard given is that they themselves were able to move out of the ghetto and provide a better life for their family. this is indeed a wonderful thing, but it's tantamount to complaining that the media does not give positive coverage to white racist business owners, who provide working opportunities for other white people.

ok, i think that's about all. discuss or something.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT SHIT MASTER P SAID ABOUT "THIS IS THE GUY THAT SIGNS YOUR CHECKS" IS PRETTY TRUE, BUT REALISTICALLY, WHO CARES WHAT THESE NIGGAS WEAR? THE NIGGAS ARE PLAYING BASKETBALL THEY ARENT "WORKING BASKETBALL" THIS SHIT SHOULDNT EVEN BE AN ISSUE. IF SOME PRIME MINISTER DUDE WENT TO THE U.N. WITH A DURAG ON, THEN NIGGAS WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM, IF BILL GATES WENT TO A PRESS CONFERENCE TO UNVEIL SOME GROUNDBREAKING SOFTWARE WITH A WHITE TEE AND UPTOWNS ON THEN THERE WOULD BE A PROBLEM. HONESTLY WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT KOBE IS WEARING AT HIS UNNECESSARY PRESS CONFERENCE WHERE HE'S TELLING ME THAT MINNESOTAS DEFENSE WAS GREAT AND THAT HE'LL BE COMING OFF THE BENCH TUESDAY? I THINK ITS A JOKE THAT NIGGAS WHO PLAY A GAME FOR A LIVING ARE EXPECTED TO DRESS A CERTAIN WAY AND HAVE A DRESS CODE AND BLAH BLAH BLAH...THAT SHIT IS STUPID B. THERES A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING AND BASKETBALL ISNT A PLACE FOR A SUIT AND TIE. IF ANYTHING, NIGGAS SHOULD DO PRESS CONFERENCES IN FULL UNIFORM IF THEY WANNA "REPRESENT THE ORGANIZATION". PHIL JACKSON IS AN IDIOT B. NIGGAS JUST WANNA MAKE A BUNCH OF GHETTO PEOPLE NOT LOOK GHETTO SO AS TO NOT FRIGHTEN MIDDLE AMERICA...OK THIS GHETTO NIGGA IS MAKING 7 MILLION A YEAR AND YOU PUT HIM IN A SUIT AND TIE BUT GUESS WHAT, HE'S STILL GHETTO. NEXT THING YOU KNOW MUTHAFUCKAS WILL WANNA MAKE THE SHOOTAROUND A BLACK TIE AFFAIR. BOTTOM LINE, BASKETBALL IS A GAME, AT LEAST TO ME. SO THAT DRESS CODE SHIT GOES OUT THE WINDOW. HOLLA AT ME.

-JELLYYYYYY

geto boys lyrics

iggas and flies, niggas and flies

Niggas and motherfuckin’ flies

Niggas and flies always in some shit

Nigga can’t stay outta shit for shit

Nigga robbed a bank- now everybody know

Cause nigga had a Rolls Royce clipping through the ghetto

Nigga bought his ho a fur coat the next week

And them loss had his ass walking butt naked down the street

You want drama nigga? I gots drama

What about these niggas drive Beamers living wit they mamas?

And what about these tennis-shoe tasting bitches-

Fucking athletes to obtain the riches

But they hate it when a nigga call ‘em hoes and tramps and sluts

But if the shoe fits- lace it up

Niggas ain’t good for shit but eatin’ barbeque

And holding other niggas back- that’s all we do

Niggas annoy me like flies

If it was up to me, I’d burn a gang of you hoes alive

Niggas and flies, niggas and flies

I went to the million man march- it was all good

A bunch of niggas standin’ up for they manhood

But niggas are so idiotic-

They still found something fucked up to say about it

But that’s a nigga fo yo ass, g

Howl at a nigga if you lookin’ for some negativity

Cause niggas got plenty of it- I think they love it

Clarence Thomas- you a motherfuckin’ puppet

Ass-kissin’ politicians ain’t shit to me

And motherfuck the NAACP

Motherfuckin’ cowards, suckin’ up to the sponsors

And couldn’t give a fuck about the black johnstons

So called black radio stations

Runnin’ they flap- talkin’ bout they don’t play rap

But rap pay the bills, motherfucka

And keeps a nigga out of jail, cocksucka

Niggas get on top and niggas hate it

Cause niggas can’t stand to see another nigga make it

So how the fuck are niggas coming together to take the first step

When every nigga out to sell-

Niggas and flies, niggas and flies

fuck that ..i'd rock a teletubby suit naked inside with the ass and crotch cut out if i was getting paid that much..

this is the third time i've ever agreed with seeking completely.

not sure if its cause i was blazed this afternoon but i had

the o brother where art thow soundrack on with the lazerus song playing and the next song on my playlist was bone thugs in harmony..

it made me think.. but my conclusion from this contemplation was lost cause i was really fucked up..

Guest KING BLING

The bottom line is this:

1) Most rappers model themselves as buisness people but really, come on, they just have money...

2) Basketball players should have respect for profesionalism and the oppurtunity they have, not pulling a T.O. and talking shit and wiling out. On your own, dress like you want to, when you're at work making a few mill a year you look retarded wearing anything but a suit.

3) Lets put it out there: Poor black people might spend money on big hats and throw backs - but the white proffesional buys the $3000+ a year seats and more in advertising...know where your check comes from and act accordingly. If you want to keep it real go play ball with a milk crate hoop...

Even when Charles Barkley was spitting on children he was atleast wearing a suit...

its all a presentation of your self. If you wanna look like a slob and not nicely dressed, thats ur business, its not like its something new. honestly who gives a fuck, its basketball. i mean i could understand some more prestiges sports where u have to worry about being respectful looking, clean cut, and professional, but this shit is basketball. who cares

basketball players are entertainers. PERIOD. They work for a company. If they don't like it, they can go work somewhere else for way less money and a weaker union...

and btw, working as a sports enetertainer means you have to do PR. If your employer demands that you dress a certain way for PR, then thats it. I mean, when Officer Bill showed up to school to teach crime shit, he didn't show up wearing his Hells Angels colors? No. he showed up in his cop uniform..Same thing...

I see that the outline post style has caught on. Yes!

Here's how I view the situation:

1) They are at work when they're doing a press conference. This is as much their job as shooting, dribbling and rebounding. Basketball is a business. While the press conferences are probably unnecessary, people want to see that shit. When you're going to an occassion where professional dress is expected, like a press conference, it makes sense to dress appropriately. I think they should wear a uniform though, that makes more sense than a suit.

2) I understand "keepin' it real" and not "talking like a white person" and whatever, but lets be serious: in the United States we speak English. As affluent black members of society it would make sense for you to speak English also. Historically, black activists and scholars have mastered the English language because it brought force to what they had to say. Now that shit is "not keeping it real." Whatever, it has a negative impact on the communities those people came from. If Snoop wasn't talking all this "Shizzle, Izzle, Bizzle" nonsense, imagine how much easier it would be for inner city youth to get jobs.

3) I like puffy coats. I wouldn't go to a press conference in a wife beater and a chain with a puffy coat on...

Guest KING OF HELL
Originally posted by CACashRefund@Jan 27 2006, 07:10 PM

The man is always keeping a brother down...

yeah contracts in exess of 10 million dollars for playing basketball, are really "keepin' a brotha down"

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by KING OF HELL+Jan 27 2006, 09:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING OF HELL - Jan 27 2006, 09:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-CACashRefund@Jan 27 2006, 07:10 PM

yeah contracts in exess of 10 million dollars for playing basketball, are really "keepin' a brotha down"

[/b]

yeah but after all the retarded cars, chains and shit he prolly gets like minimum wage haha

THEY GET MILLIONS FOR DOING ALMOST NOTHING

FUCK OFF, WEAR A SUIT IF UR BOSS TELLS U TO, WHY WOULD THEY FUCKIN CARE. THIS ISNT A CASE OF PERSONAL EXPRESSION, ITS SAYING "HEY WE ARE RESPECTFUL ATHLETES WHO DRESS NICE TO MAKE OUR TEAM AND ORGANIZATION LOOK RESPECTABLE, AND NOT LIKE AN MTV RAP MUSIC VIDEO"

Originally posted by KING OF HELL+Jan 27 2006, 08:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING OF HELL - Jan 27 2006, 08:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-CACashRefund@Jan 27 2006, 07:10 PM

[/b]

what you dont see is that they are now slaves to the man, theres no escaping the beast now...

If you do seeking i would call it "Nigga with an "A"

Bam, Trademark motherfucker.

on the topic at hand.

I would fire a motherfucker that didnt show up in a suit and tie for a press conference, on the spot. throw a basketball at the back of his head and scream "your fired motherfucker. mmooooooooovAAAA'

the main point of my entire thing was really to discuss the reoccuring idea that for some reason asking people to conform to american capitalistic society is portrayed as an affront to their racial identity. it's 'racist' to expect young black people to speak and dress properly, yet if you were to say 'that's just the way they are', that's just as racist. infact, you can't even use 'they' in a sentence withut being labled as an ignorant cracker. basically, you just can't win. if you expect them to function as whites (or asians, or indians, or in many cases hispanics) then you're expecting too much, and if you expect them to function at a lower standard, you're insulting their intelligence and ability. if it was two different groups of people taking up each side, then fine, but it's not. often the same people who want to defend a young black mans right(?) to act however he wants to act, despite the billions of dollars invested in him and his team mates, are outraged when you make the same excuses for his actions that he himself would make (lack of social upbringing, role models, etc).

mostly, im just sick of people holding themselves back just so they can stand under a useless banner. america cares about money, not color. to invest your beliefs in anything else is to mismanage your future (so to speak).

oh, another amusing thing from the show, was when they were asked to give examples of positivity in hip hop, they all brought up 'jesus walks'.... one song. hundreds of albums come out every year, and they can only come up with one example of a 'positive' song...and they think that's supposed to somehow balance out the thousands of songs about killing, robbing, raping, so on and so on.

seeking/sometimes i think im an 80 year old black man deep down inside.

I agree with both seeking and mero...this is an issue that got blown up that really didn't need to be blown up. But that's how sports media is. When there wasn't a beauty of a catch in the last second of the playoff game last night, they'll talk for hours on end about durags and trade rumours that don't really exist.

I'll tell you what, though - a ton of NBAers have mulatto children, so they can't front like they're nomads from Africa who need to keep it real with pebbles in their penises and traditional garb.

I think the executives who created this dress code are looking at the big picture; further down the road, what have you. The NBA is full of jerks. If you asked me to name one sport where sportsmanship isn't that highly regarded amongst its players, I'd have to say basketball. Not all them players; certainly not most; but there is a huge amount of complaining, 'me-first' type people in the league, and that isn't what sports is about, in my opinion.

Really though, to me, this isn't an issue of "the man" trying to hold "us down". It's a matter of old white men thinking dudes in xxxxxxxxxl t-shirts and ice medallions the size of Florida oranges looks stupid. Fuck 'em, but at least they're not asking you to act like a nigger.. Noooo, that would be wrong. I'm pretty drunk, so I'll probably change my mind in five minutes.

i take that back, ed lover also brought up ed og and the bulldoggs 'be a father to your child'. a song that came out, i believe in 1988. and he did so so empoweringly, as if he had the spear of destiny and he was ramming it down the throat of inequality, finally putting the issue to bed. no dude, you creepy plastic paul mooney looking motherfucker, you were just disproving your own point. thanks for playing though.

Oh yeah, if a boss tells you to wear a suit - don't compain. Spend your money on some thousand dollar Armanis. I'd imagine that to be pretty fun. Besides, you don't see hockey players complaining. Neither do the Yankees, who gotta get haircuts, too. That's cuz they get money being a Yankee. This is such a non-issue, but we're talking about it because that's how sports is. I love sports.

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 28 2006, 02:07 AM

i take that back, ed lover also brought up ed og and the bulldoggs 'be a father to your child'. a song that came out, i believe in 1988. and he did so so empoweringly, as if he had the spear of destiny and he was ramming it down the throat of inequality, finally putting the issue to bed. no dude, you creepy plastic paul mooney looking motherfucker, you were just disproving your own point. thanks for playing though.

Haha, I can just picture that.

I think the key issue is the medallions. If a person has a cross on their chest, should they be allowed to display it in full force? Not in the NBA, apparently.

PS..I wonder how Jason Williams (the white boy) feels when the media talks about how baggy clothes and chains is "black culture".

Originally posted by Weapon X@Jan 28 2006, 02:06 AM

Really though, to me, this isn't an issue of "the man" trying to hold "us down". It's a matter of old white men thinking dudes in xxxxxxxxxl t-shirts and ice medallions the size of Florida oranges looks stupid. Fuck 'em, but at least they're not asking you to act like a nigger.. Noooo, that would be wrong. I'm pretty drunk, so I'll probably change my mind in five minutes.

first of all, it's not just old white men who think that looks stupid. anyone with any amount of intelligence or understanding will tell you that it's corny as fuck to be a grown ass adult dressing like a child.

secondly, which would be more 'racist', to ask these men to dress in a uniformly professional manner that applies to all of them, regardless of coolor, or to allow them to parade around like ghetto clowns, acting as ignorant and unprofessional as they wanted?

people are always complaining that young black kids have no positive role models, no doctors or lawyers, etc. then those same people want to allow successfull black folks who have 'made it' to prance around like your everyday street corner hustler. how is that helping young kids? how is it helping anyone?

im really not concerned with the nba thing, or with arguing the pros and cons of it, to me it's so cut and dried, i can't even believe there's an uproar about it. what i'm really talking about is the people who play both sides of the fence insuring that nothing ever gets settled, and no one ever advances, simply so they can be angry.

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 28 2006, 02:14 AM

first of all, it's not just old white men who think that looks stupid. anyone with any amount of intelligence or understanding will tell you that it's corny as fuck to be a grown ass adult dressing like a child.

Yeah, my bad. If you ain't an entertainer like Prince or James Brown or Ma$e, you can't be wearing lavender sequined jump suits or giant falcons on your wrist. I agree.

secondly, which would be more 'racist', to ask these men to dress in a uniformly professional manner that applies to all of them, regardless of coolor, or to allow them to parade around like ghetto clowns, acting as ignorant and unprofessional as they wanted?

people are always complaining that young black kids have no positive role models, no doctors or lawyers, etc. then those same people want to allow successfull black folks who have 'made it' to prance around like your everyday street corner hustler. how is that helping young kids? how is it helping anyone?

I am waiting for the day the first black astronaut (or the third or whatever it is - anyone know?) to show up to the Scientific American interview in a pink kit car and chinchilla 3/4. Wait - that ain't ever gonna happen, is it?

theres been a bunch of black astronauts. ha.

in malcolm x's autobiography, he talks about the day when he stopped straightening his hair and wearing zoot suits, which he referred to as 'clown suits'. nobody calls malcolm x an uncle tom for expecting black men to act in a professional, moral, intelligent and restrained way, they call him a hero. but when someone else asks them to do the same, it's an affront to their 'blackness', yet to imply that 'blackness' is a pattern of speech or a manner of dress is 'racist', even though the second a black man deviats from said stereotype, there's a black person there to condemn them for no longer talking and dressing in a manner that according to them, does not exist. blah. i dont know im so stuck on this tonight.