Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

justify graffiti

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by krs702, Jul 5, 2004.

1. krs702

krs702 Senior Member

how do you justify graffiti?
    when i go painting i realize that what im doing could piss somebody the fuck off - comes down to whats being painted. you cant believe that if you are hitting somebodies actual property that they will pass it off and say "it's ok." take into account your personal items like lets say your car. would u like an amateur graffiti (toy) writer sprayin his pathetic tag on your car?

yet you can't ignore the other parts of where it is a cultural aspect: creational artwork for the community, a story left behind, and in a way advertising oneself.

graffiti to me is like a person handing out a pamphlet for a show or event. you either check it or trash it.

for me graffiti has become an input for the city. a city is a community and i am apart of it so im giving back. its on some self-community service shit; lightening up the neighborhood with variety. nowadays i try to be picky about locations i hit ...buildings and excess that ain't buggin anybodies personal well being, but still viewable by the public.

im not tryin to insult graffiti its just hard to be 100% ok with what you're doing. if im sure enough graffiti is right then im at the same level with the legal system against it.

so mainly im asking why do you do graffiti and how do you justify it

2. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

I lost the need to justify my actions to anyone or rationalize the things I like to do somewhere around when I turned 20. I don't know what my reasons are other than "it's fun" and "i don't care if you don't like it"

3. why write?

why write? Veteran Member

a lifestyle....and i agree...if you dont like it then fuck you dont look at it

4. improvise

improvise New Jack

????

we shouldnt have to justify it. who is to say that its wrong. only people who have driven into your head that it is.

5. rinse

rinse Member

everyday people i meet tend to front, lie, bullshit, and talk out of their neck about shit they really have never done or dont really understand.
    graf is different. yea, many writers are dramatic and know how to talk some shit but when it comes down to it and someone puts something on a wall, all the talking stops. that piece speaks for itself and the writer that produced it.
    kids can talk all day long but once they put up a piece, the truth comes out. graf is honesty in a city full of persons who hide behind daily manicured self-images.
    all day everyday i have to deal with mass amounts of superficial wackness in order to earn a paycheck. its enough to make me sick.
    graff is one of the few things i have that is REAL.
    nigga's know.

6. porque

porque Senior Member

...i am not a productive member of society...

7. destroya

destroya Senior Member

graffiti is COMPLETELY UNJUSTIFIABLE.

and this "if you don't like it, don't look at it" standpoint is BULLSHIT.

not looking at it is NOT a reasonable option, because it's thrown in your face. THAT'S THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT.

if you're trying to make graffiti seem ok, pull your head out of your ass.

graffiti is WRONG, and there is NO WAY AROUND IT.

but i still do it. i'm such an asshole.

8. El Producto

El Producto Senior Member

9. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

i pay taxes

i am a consumer

i am subjected to a barrage of constant advertisement

to me this says that i support private business, pay for public works, including graffiti removal, and i am also forced to endure the promotion of private entities other than myself (and therefore have the right to perpetrate my own advertising)

hahaha..
    just some thoughts, half-joking.
    i really don't give a shit what people think and don't feel like i should, or can, justify graffiti.

10. hobo knife

hobo knife Junior Member

i look at it like this.......shit happens. if a private buisiness gets hit and they can't readily afford to remove it, too bad. if someone doesn't want to see their city defaced, get over it.

this is a (somewhat) underground movement showing the rest of society that not everyone has to be an average joe and lead a boring life. graffiti is made, designed, and thrives on the fact that it's illegal.

plus graff just simply makes everything look better, anyone who dissagrees just hasn't seen the light yet.

11. Gunm

Gunm Banned

i had to relocate to a crummy town with not a goddamn thing to do?

12. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Then you probably wouldn't mind then if i came over to your house and bombed the fuck out of it and your car hmmm? I mean, you yourself just said graffiti makes everything look better huh?

I'm all for graffiti but your statement is just plain ignorant.

13. hobo knife

hobo knife Junior Member

yeah come on over, trust me i've got plenty of paint.

ok, since you had to pick apart my statement and try to "school me"...I was partly joking when i said graff made things look better, AND i definitly wasn't talking about houses and cars.

But whatever. you are obviously smarter than me.

p.s. lose the sarcasm...(hmmmmmm?... huh?)

14. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

JUSTIFY YOUR EXISTENCE

15. phels

phels Junior Member

i remember reading somthing like
    "its not that we dont understand, just that we dont care"
    sums it up