JUNTA....

Guest BROWNer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...speaking of televised trials....from the NYT....

Sept. 11 Terror Suspect Requests Televised Trial

ALEXANDRIA, Va., Jan. 9 — A federal judge said today that it would be Tuesday at the earliest before she would rule on whether the trial of a French citizen accused of conspiring with Osama bin Laden in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks can be televised.

A lawyer for the accused accomplice, Zacarias Moussaoui, was joined by television networks in seeking to overturn a ban on cameras in the courtroom.

The lawyer, Edward MacMahon Jr., told United States District Judge Leonie Brinkema in Alexandria, Va., that his client believes televising the proceedings would provide "an added layer of protection" in guaranteeing a fair trial.

Mr. Moussaoui is the only person so far accused of conspiring with Mr. bin Laden and the hijackers to kill and maim thousands. He sat at the defense table today in a green prison jumpsuit, cocking his head slightly to hear the arguments.

Most of the oral arguments during the half-hour hearing were conducted by a lawyer for Court TV and C-Span in favor of live coverage and a lawyer from the Justice Department opposing it.

Lee Levine, a lawyer for the television networks, said, "The entire nation has a direct interest in these proceedings, if not the entire world." He contended that the ban, which was first imposed on still cameras in 1946, is unconstitutional.

A Justice Department attorney, Elizabeth Collery, said the government is concerned that witnesses' testimony would be affected if they knew they were on live television. That, in turn, she said, could affect the jurors.

Judge Brinkema said she is also concerned about the security of witnesses and other participants in the trial. Having not only television pictures but permanent images of witnesses, the judge and others on the Internet long after the trial "could be a chilling problem," she said.

Mr. Levine said neither radio nor the openness of the trial to those sitting in the courtroom provided the same public access as television.

"The right to observe is the right to observe what goes on in the courtroom," he said. "Observation is seeing as well as hearing."

He said the public, because so many state and local trials are televised, "is now comfortable that television is an unobtrusive medium" in the courtroom.

Ms. Collery, however, said, "There is not a longstanding tradition of cameras in the courtroom." While public seating is often limited, she said, it has never been necessary to hold trials "in amphitheaters."

At least some courts in every state allow televised state and local trials. Others news media organizations supporting a trial broadcast include the Radio-Television News Directors Association, CNN, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, NBC, CBS and ABC.

While the position of the news organizations was hardly a surprise, the issue took on a higher profile when Mr. Moussaoui's lawyers filed a motion contending that live broadcast would help guarantee a fair trial.

Federal prosecutors countered that everyone involved would be endangered by live television because Al Qaeda members almost certainly would be tuned in.

Mr. Moussaoui, who faces indictments on six counts, faces a possible death penalty if convicted. He entered no plea to the charges but Judge Brinkema entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

Television experts said a televised trial would probably get extensive, if not gavel-to-gavel, coverage on CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC. Broadcast networks were less certain of their plans, in part because jury selection is not scheduled until Sept. 30.

Guest BROWNer

i am down for that being televised.

i think that prosecutor barbecued junta...

he said when he was standing over the

156 pound guy who was on his back on

the floor, the guy had junta only by the wrist.

dood was standing over him @ 270 pounds

and couldn't get away?!

..he is fucked...and im glad....sport parents are the worse...i remember when i was playing little football, a dad walked out onto the fucking field and slapped his son for making a bad play...he was thrown outta the game and barred from any other ones too...i think i was in 7th grade maybe...parents lighten up, if kids wanna drop the gloves thats fine, but show some restraint...r

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by mental invalid

(quick snap of symbols)...thank you thank you thank you...he'll be here all week folks, and next week at carolines...get your tixs now...:p

different shows at 7 and 10

dont forget to tip your waitress on the way out

:crazy:

Guest BROWNer

..he is fucked...and im glad....

pretty much homesnax...

sometimes i think, yea, fucker, you're getting whats deserved,

then the next i feel bad for him and his family...

thats what you get for being a big fat jocko though:crazy: :P :crazy: :P :crazy: :P

..he is fucked...and im glad....sport parents are the worse...i remember when i was playing little football, a dad walked out onto the fucking field and slapped his son for making a bad play...he was thrown outta the game and barred from any other ones too...i think i was in 7th grade maybe...parents lighten up, if kids wanna drop the gloves thats fine, but show some restraint...r

what this guy said. let the kids deal with it, the parents are showing an awful example if theyre fighting about something their kid did. who's more juveneille in that case? the kids who dont think anything of it, or their freaking parents who knock another parents' teeth out. jesus

Archived